Do Local Triggers leak?

Pyrogasm

There are some who would use any excuse to ban me.
Reaction score
For christ's sake. SFilip is the only one who understands the concept of a "leak" here.

And for the record, if you use a ConditionFunc as though it were a TriggerAction, you can't use waits. You can use ExecuteFunc though and call a function that has waits.

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
> For christ's sake. SFilip is the only one who understands the concept of a "leak" here.

Breath very deeply and relax. It will do you good.

I know what a leak is. A piece of memory or data that isn't destroyed and can't be refered to, thus all connections to it are lost. Yes, a gg trigger is by this definition not a leak, but you have to agree with me that it still takes space, thus, destroying it once you are done using it can't be bad.

Pyrogasm

Reaction score
Rheias said:
A piece of memory or data that isn't destroyed and can't be refered to...
Not entirely correct. A more correct statement would be "A piece of memory or data that isn't destroyed, can't be refered to, and will at some point need to be destroyed."

Using local triggers doesn't "leak" the trigger if the trigger is going to be present the whole game. You can create another type of "leak" by not nulling the variable that points to that trigger, but that's an entirely separate concept.

~GaLs~

† Ғσſ ŧħə ѕαĸε Φƒ ~Ğ䣚~ †
Reaction score

Pyrogasm

Reaction score
No. But there's no point in doing it that way.

~GaLs~

† Ғσſ ŧħə ѕαĸε Φƒ ~Ğ䣚~ †
Reaction score
Yes there are...
I am really anoyed when typing those TriggerRegisterxx or TriggerAddAction/Condition and I need to type those gg_trg_Trigger_Name into it.

So I would just replace those gg_trg thingy to t.

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
> piece of memory or data that isn't destroyed, can't be refered to, and will at some point need to be destroyed."

Yes, obiviously, we don't destroy integers becuase we don't need to.

> Using local triggers doesn't "leak" the trigger if the trigger is going to be present the whole game.

This is what I'm saying! Look at this trigger (GUI):

Code:
Untitled Trigger 002
    Events
        Time - Elapsed game time is 5.00 seconds
    Conditions
    Actions
        Unit - Create 1 Footman for Player 1 (Red) at (Center of (Playable map area)) facing Default building facing degrees

Any point in keeping it around after five seconds? No. So why not destroy it? It couldn't hurt, only help.

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
Not entirely correct. A more correct statement would be "A piece of memory or data that isn't destroyed, can't be refered to, and will at some point need to be destroyed."

Reihas Definition is correct.

I wouldn't start using local trigger variables, once you coem to another language it will do you no good to destroy the pointers - The unreferable object will be destroyed pretty soon.
I'm pretty sure that with Sc2 scumedit they'll use a Garbage collector => No chance for a nonrefered trigger to survive.

Greetings, Devil

Pyrogasm

Reaction score
It's still not a "leak"; just not being 100% efficient.

Oh, and there's that bug regarding corrupting the handle stack when you destroy a trigger that has TriggerActions...

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that with Sc2 scumedit they'll use a Garbage collector => No chance for a nonrefered trigger to survive.

Greetings, Devil

Seriously doubt it, but I hope so. One of the staff said on the Sc2 forums that the language used by the editor will be based off C. Guess that means no OO, and I know a lot of people would've liked that.

I wouldn't really expect them to implement the many other things that people are expecting of Sc2's world editor.

Silvenon

Reaction score
Pyrogasm said:
For christ's sake. SFilip is the only one who understands the concept of a "leak" here.

Forgot about me Pyro? :)

TheDamien said:
I wouldn't really expect them to implement the many other things that people are expecting of Sc2's world editor.

And that darn garbage compiler (whatever that is and however it works).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.