Doom Angel's Question Thread

Doom-Angel

Jass User (Just started using NewGen)
Reaction score
man u are driving me crazy..........

i know what arrays are and how to use them im just asking about this option when u create a variable and u add an array u got number to put in whether it's 1 or 100 now im asking what's the difference beetwen if i put 1 or 50 or 100 what each of them will actually limit me for or something like that

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think the actual number matters. I doubt it affects the functionality at all.

BlackNerubia

Reaction score
Array

By Default the Array is set to the Number "1" in the box, witch means the enabled about of options on the array would be Two heres how

Set Array[0] to 345
Set Array[1] to 543

so basicly you start with a total of 2 spots for variables, as for the limit on them, there is none, so basicly the [#] is just for how many variables you need stored.

Doom-Angel

Reaction score
but i seen some tutorial maps (e.g: Effena's Save\Load Code) where the variable where some 100 some 4 and etc..... and i wonder if there is any effect at all doing it?

BlackNerubia

Reaction score
Nope, they do that basically so if they need more room they have it so they dont by mistake go over the amount, the reason they are set low is to save space because every additional variable added to the array is just that much more space taken. but basically its personal preference how many you have set to max, as long as you don't use more then the max amount set.

Doom-Angel

Reaction score
so it does limit u for the number of integers u can put in?
like if i have 1 it limits me up to 100 and 4 is 400 while 100 is 10000?

BlackNerubia

Reaction score
Im not sure i understand but ill say what i think you mean, what your saying is that if you set the array size to 1, your maxium is 100, if thats so Then no that is not correct, when you set it to one, it means you have Zero, as well as the Number One to store info on, the limit in those to variables is infinate so you can do things such as this

set Array[0] to 1000000000000000... etc etc
set Array[1] to 1112344543676565

Correct me if im rong but i think thats what you mean.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
In case you would refer to the size setting in the variable editor, yes, it does have a purpose.
The array gets initialized up to and including size elements with the default value, starting at 0.

I.e. if you declare an array of integers with size 3 and a default value of 42,
your map will start with array[0] = array[1] = array[2] = array[3] = 42.

Other than that, all arrays have the same maximum number of elements: 8192.
Regardless of size.

And, trying to do any kind of work with uninitialized values is a sure way not to get the expected result.

S

Sunny_D

well, i dont get what difference you are seeking here. the index doesnt affect the value inside the variable or its dimensions. the index [] is just an adress to different variables.

MyReal[1] has no difference to MyReal[100] except the fact that its another variable. you can as well - although it would be nonsense - define two variables instead: MyReal1 and MyReal2. as i said, think about the index as an adress.

Doom-Angel

Reaction score
hmmm u are mistaking by what i meant i guess u didn't seen my previews posts like this one:
man u are driving me crazy..........

i know what arrays are and how to use them im just asking about this option when u create a variable and u add an array u got number to put in whether it's 1 or 100 now im asking what's the difference beetwen if i put 1 or 50 or 100 what each of them will actually limit me for or something like that

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> what would be the changes beetwen 100 and 1?

About 99.

> I guess you didn't see my previous posts like this one

My actual guess would be that we did see them.
And, either we have no idea what you're talking about, or you're not reading the replies you get.

Doom-Angel

Reaction score
im just asking about the variable array itself not the index the index doesn't interest me at all just the number u put in the array when u create a variable now back to the old question:
what would be the changes beetwen 100 and 1?
btw the numberical change is not realy what i look for (im not that dumb :p)

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Having different numbers like 1 or 100 does not affect the array's functionality at all. It will work equally well with either number.

Doom-Angel

Reaction score
so why did blizzard created this function for?
they could have just make an option to put array without entering size....

there must be some use of it or any limitation of any sort which it puts for every size....

S

Sunny_D

hm... can someone break this language barrier? sry, but if i read your posts i always think, "what else does he mean if not the index? what function?". probably it helps to clear up the situation if you give us exact examples, what you want to be compared with eachother? :)

Doom-Angel

Reaction score
k since u asked for clear question which everybody would understand i will use pictures:

here's the the first one when i create a variable and the current size is 1

now in this picture i changed the size to 50:

and in this one i changed to 100:

now what i ask is what the difference beetwen choosing 1 or 50 or 100? :confused: :confused:

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
Um.
I believe 1 array takes up the same amount of space as 1 variable.
So that means you have 1, 50 and 100 variables in one.
The only difference is that one is larger than the other, thus can contain more info.
Isn't that obvious, or did I get something wrong? :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.