Dummies casting channeling spells

Hegemuffin

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been working on a trigger for my boss map submission :p, and I'm having a little trouble with one of my custom abilities. The spell itself is fairly complicated, so I won't go into detail, but it involves various dummy units casting a modified Cloud. Basically, my problem is that the dummy units simply don't respond to the issued order, and I'm pretty sure it has to do with the order string itself. Is there some method I don't know about to get dummy units to cast channeling spells properly? (Please don't post something stupid pertaining to obvious mistakes I may have made such as not giving the dummy the spell; believe me, I've checked all of that).

Here's the code snippet, if anyone wants to look at it:
Code:
        Set PT_Spell = (Position of HERO_Zorastro)
        Unit - Create 1 Dummy Caster for Player 2 (Blue) at PT_Spell facing Default building facing degrees
        Unit - Hide (Last created unit)
        Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Human Dragonhawk Rider - Cloud PT_Spell
        Custom script:   call RemoveLocation (udg_PT_Spell)
        Unit - Add a 4.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)

Any useful ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.

The Hegemuffin

HG-Bonfire

Reaction score
when you hide a unit it cant cast spells anymore, just make the unit have locust and no model file and all that stuff for a dummy unit.

Azylaminaz

Vox Populi
Reaction score
Code:
        Set PT_Spell = (Position of HERO_Zorastro)
        Unit - Create 1 Dummy Caster for Player 2 (Blue) at PT_Spell facing Default building facing degrees
        Unit - Hide (Last created unit)   [COLOR=DarkRed]<--- Dummy units are always invisible.[/COLOR]
        Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Human Dragonhawk Rider - Cloud PT_Spell
        Custom script:   call RemoveLocation (udg_PT_Spell)
        Unit - Add a 4.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)

Are Dummy Units even counted as units?

Hegemuffin

Reaction score
Ah, well, see, I've triggered a lot of spells using dummies, and I think I must have always just put the hide action after the order action because in that case I know it works (and it's not like you see the unit for a split second; the actions are simultaneous).

But yea, I'll experiment with either putting the hide line after, and if that doesn't work because it's channeling, then I'll just use Locust and "all that stuff" since that's what I'm doing with the unit for another ability anyway.

Thanks a lot.

The Hegemuffin

Oh, and to Azylaminaz: Yea, dummies are just regular units except that you usually give them Locust and make them transparent with no shadow, though as I said, I like to hide them when possible.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
no point in hiding them...that might just be the problem here. besides locust+invalid model does just about the same thing.

Monovertex

Formerly Smith_S9
Reaction score
And it's much easier since you make it just once, in the object editor... With hide, you must make it in everytime you use the dummy.

Hegemuffin

Reaction score
Okay, here's the problem:

When I don't hide the unit, nothing happens either. :(

I also checked over some of my other spells, and I found that I nearly always hide dummies before giving them orders, which means that hiding shouldn't be a problem in any case.

Any other ideas? Has anyone looked at the code specifically?

Thanks.

edit: And again, though, thanks to everyone for the tips on hiding because as smith_s9 said, it will save me time overall. I'll remember the invalid model as well, since I'll no longer have to make units transparent that way.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
lets see...
has the dummy got the ability? there is no action that adds it...
is 4 seconds enough? i guess it is, but you never know.

Monovertex

Formerly Smith_S9
Reaction score
Does the ability costs mana? And if it is, the dummy has mana? :p

The trigger has no problem, except maybe, what SFilip said, the expiration timer.

Hegemuffin

Reaction score
Yea, the dummy has the ability.

Here's a thought (and why I thought it might be related to channeling spells):
I have an ability exactly like the Inquisitor's aura in Tides of Blood, if you're familiar with it. Basically, it's a Mana Flare aura, and operates pretty much the same way as in ladder, only that it's passive. How I'm triggering it is with a dummy unit to cast Mana Flare (also channeling) and a periodic trigger to move the dummy to the real unit's location every .1 second. (The real unit also has a useless ability that gives an aura buff). Anyway, what I found, though, was that Mana Flare only cast for 1 second or so before the dummy stopped (despite my making the duration 60 minutes), so I added another trigger that ordered the dummy to cast the ability whenever it "finished casting it" (as the event). That made it work perfectly, so I'm going to try a similar trigger with Cloud and see if it works.

That said, would you happen to know anything about Mana Flare, Cloud, or channeling in general (if it proves to be the same issue)?

Thanks.

edit: I thought I said no stupid questions :p. Yes to all of the above.

edit2: I am officially a hypocrite. smith_s9, I apologize for my reprimand because it was in fact something stupid. Cloud has a tech requirement that I forgot to change. Fuck. Someone shoot me now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.