Environment Dumping iron at sea can bury carbon for centuries, study shows

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Dumping iron into the sea can bury carbon dioxide for centuries, potentially helping reduce the impact of climate change, according to a major new study. The work shows for the first time that much of the algae that blooms when iron filings are added dies and falls into the deep ocean.

Geoengineering – technologies aimed at alleviating global warming – are controversial, with critics warning of unintended environmental side effects or encouraging complacency in global deals to cut carbon emissions. But Prof Victor Smetacek, at the Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research in Germany, who led the new research, said: "The time has come to differentiate: some geoengineering techniques are more dangerous than others. Doing nothing is probably the worst option."

Dave Reay, senior lecturer in carbon management at the University of Edinburgh, said: "This represents a whole new ball game in terms of iron fertilisation as a geoengineering technique. Maybe deliberate enhancement of carbon storage in the oceans has more legs than we thought but, as the scientists themselves acknowledge, it's still far too early to run with it."

A 2009 report from the Royal Society, the UK's science academy, concluded that while cutting emissions is the first priority, careful research into geoengineering was required in case drastic measures – such as trying to block sunlight by pumping sulphate into the atmosphere – were one day needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Yet more madness. Hmm creating massive algal blooms in the oceans "will certainly have massive ecological effects" :rolleyes:

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
Algae provides much of the oxygen we use. They're like sea trees.

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
Honestly, being at the very, very bottom of the food chain, introducing algae at lower ocean depths would provide more food to fish that dwelling in those regions without any negative side effects, most likely. Should be pretty controllable, and might be a half-decent plan.

FireCat

Reaction score
They're like sea trees.
True But too much of a good thing isn't good.

Algal blooms prevent light from penetrating the water’s surface. They also prevent oxygen from being absorbed by organisms beneath them. Sunlight is necessary for plants and organisms like phytoplankton and algae, which manufacture their own nutrients from sunlight, water, and carbon dioxide. Oxygen is necessary for almost all aquatic life, from sea grasses to fish.

By depriving organisms of sunlight and oxygen, algal blooms negatively impact a variety of species that live below the water’s surface. The number and diversity of benthic, or bottom-dwelling, species are especially reduced.

Because algae dominates the aquatic ecosystem, algal blooms are sometimes referred to as “red tides” or “brown tides,” depending on the color of the algae. Red tides actually have nothing to do with tides. They also have nothing to do with algae. The organism that causes red tides is a bacteria, called cyanobacteria.

Algal blooms also cause larger-scale problems, such as human illness. Shellfish, such as oysters, are filter feeders. As they filter water, they absorb microbes associated with algal blooms. Many of these microbes are toxic to people. People may become sick or even die from shellfish poisoning.

Algal blooms can also lead to the death of marine mammals and shore birds that rely on the marine ecosystem for food. Wading birds, such as herons, and mammals, such as sea lions, depend on fish for survival. With fewer fish beneath algal blooms, these animals lose an important food source.
Read Moar Here.
So dumping stuff in the sea, It's pretty crazy!

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
Most species of phytoplankton are harmless or beneficial, given that they constitute the base of the marine food chain. Fertilization increases phytoplankton only in the deep oceans (far from shore) where iron deficiency is the problem. Most coastal waters are replete with iron and adding more has no useful effect.
Source.
So long as we don't leave the algae to grow out of control, there shouldn't be any problems. Over-fishing tends to lead to excessive algae populations that kill off other species.

Fatmankev

Reaction score
How could you know there are no side effects?
That's why I said, "[...], most likely." Same as, like, probably. I sure as hell don't know. I just figured that, being at the bottom of the food chain, it wouldn't have as dramatic an effect as trying to increase the numbers of some sort of predatory species, or even an herbivore.

I mean, it's a plant. Is too many plants really gonna be a bad thing?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I could imagine some problems it might evolve into.
But i meant it more in general, there is no way to know all consequences in advance, there is always a little risk. And since you can never know the possible side effects, just do it.

FireCat

Reaction score
And since you can never know the possible side effects, just do it.
Nope! Well, it's like jumping off a high cliff.. it will stop your illness from getting worse. That doesn't mean you should do it! Seriously, most of the water that exists on the earth "seas and oceans whatever are precious" And dumping iron in the ocean. Hmm could slow global warming? I actually don't buy that.

Fatmankev

Reaction score
Nope! Well, it's like jumping off a high cliff.. it will stop your illness from getting worse. That doesn't mean you should do it! Seriously, most of the water that exists on the earth "seas and oceans whatever are precious" And dumping iron in the ocean. Hmm could slow global warming? I actually don't buy that.

I'm not huge on the whole theory of Global Warming myself, so I can respect your skepticism.

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
It just postpones the effects of CO².
If one could control the emition rate of CO², like, for example dymanically release/save up the CO² according to the values in the Ozone, I think this might be a good method of controlling the CO².
I think though, that Nature will handle situations such as these. I mean, we're also animals. And Animals adjust themselves to the environment they're in, not the environment adjusts itself to the animals. It just takes time. Alot of books that revolve around the origin of laguages and gene-centered environment selection give a pretty good idea of what nature is capable of. Just look up the author "Herder".

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope, not exactly, jumping off that cliff might have some hidden side effects i am not aware of, but most importantly, it has some major effects which are pretty obvious and mostly unwanted.
Whereas dumping iron into the sea has no direct major effects i could imagine other then rust in the water (of which there is probably already a lot) but possibly many hidden side effects.
We can talk about it and move in circles, or we can do it. Either its bad or its good, but there s just one way to find out.

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
Hi guys. Don't worry, we will soon run out of oil and start busting out new hydrogen engines, etc. XD

Fatmankev

Reaction score
Hi guys. Don't worry, we will soon run out of oil and start busting out new hydrogen engines, etc. XD
People ain't gonna keep paying these crazy prices for gas when there are so many alternatives constantly being improved upon. Whether it's some complicated hydrogen or fusion-inspired stuffs or somethin' as simple as bio-diesel, I totally agree; we won't be using oil and coal widespread for much longer.

Fatmankev

Reaction score
Another word, "Unethical."
That's more the point. As long as mankind holds true to its current ethics and morality, we could never use human bodies as fuel. I'm not a huge fan of the way people operate on the whole, but respect for the dead is one thing I hope we continue to practice until our final days.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.