Sci/Tech Facebook now makes you pay $1 USD if you want to message someone who isn't on your friendslist.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Facebook, which began the year with a reputation for caring more about its users than about making a buck, is ending the year with the rollout of yet another way to try to squeeze more money from its members.

This latest money-making effort comes with a revamp of its popular Messages service -- that part of Facebook through which you can message/e-mail your "friends" and, in fact, those who aren't your friends. What's changing -- and a spokesman describes it to CNET as a "small experiment" -- is that Facebook will start charging some people for messages they want to send to people they're not friends with.

The $1 cost seems steep just to shoot someone a message, but no matter. Facebook will surely drop the price if no one uses it. But the bigger point: This latest "test" shows that Facebook, eager to prove to Wall Street that it's building a cash-generating empire, is looking for more ways to add revenue streams not tied to advertising and, importantly, is trying to get more user credit cards on file.

Unlike some other titans of consumer tech -- namely, Apple and Amazon -- Facebook has a vast wealth of data about all of us but relatively few credit cards. Most of the credit card numbers it has -- a number it won't disclose -- it's accumulated from people who play games and pay up for virtual items. But that's far from enough for Facebook's ambitions.

Last edited by a moderator:

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
But I don't even derive any entertainment from his jerking off =/
I just sit and feel disgusted.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I can send messages to non friends without paying.

Varine

Reaction score
Do not answer the door Varine, I heard Facebook-tax collectors are quite brute-ish.
Luckily for me, I have a ... wait, this looks like a trick. I don't know you... I don't trust you enough to talk about that. Raise my disposition by 21 points.

Varine

Reaction score
My house has a strict 15 dollar entrance fee.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
they aren't on the list - police don't get involved in civil matters as much as they can avoid them, only criminal matters
If they being assaulted, threatened etc.. The police wouldn't help them. eh?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.