US News Food Stamps No Longer For The Poor As A Record Number Of College Students Now Use Them

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
The crux of the 2012 Presidential Elections came down to the economy and it was a face-off between Entitlement President and Earn Your Keep President. Mitt Romney took the stance of earn it, and you have it, while President Obama said “hey I understand where you’re at.” America the great and beautiful will take care of you, don’t worry.

Mitt Romney may have thought he had a chance with his closed pocket book among the majority of Americans. He was wrong of course and now the policies in place set forth by Barack Obama will get another four more years to metastasize.

Now a program once reserved for the poor, is being used to help put students through college according to a report from the U.S Labor Department. On Friday the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program released it’s numbers which show that currently 46.37 million Americans are receiving food stamps. As of November 2008 there were fewer than 31 million people on food stamps. College students are among the increasing numbers of people relying on food stamps adding to the number of recipients.

The Washington Post interviewed Courtney Davis a second year student at Howard University who said: “I never thought I would be on food stamps as a student, but with this economy I had no choice.” With rising costs of living an issue students across America are working two jobs, while attending school full time, all the while still racking up massive levels of debt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, this sounds pretty bad guys, i didnt know the situations so bad over there.
Here in europe there are plenty of people who go to the university just because they dont have anything better to do and dont like to work.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
But the reality is that> Food stamps are for people who can barely make ends meet. Or people working "minimum wage jobs" who can barely enough to live on.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
As a poor college student on food stamps, I am hella glad I have em!

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
are people thinking that college students are rich or something? they are poor, and thus able to get food stamps - probably among the poorest if you go by (income-expenses)/debt ratio

FireCat

Reaction score
If you can afford to go out every weekend etc... Why not pay for your own food?

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
If you can afford to go out every weekend etc... Why not pay for your own food?
Because we're not here to drive up the suicide and/or homicide rates. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Sure.. But tell that , who are much more poorly than an student.

like who? people who borrow money and have fancy stuff aren't richer than people who don't borrow money and don't have fancy stuff - not only that, student debt can't be cleared by bankruptcy, so students are worse off than other people who do that

FireCat

Reaction score
like who? people who borrow money and have fancy stuff aren't richer than people who don't borrow money and don't have fancy stuff - not only that, student debt can't be cleared by bankruptcy, so students are worse off than other people who do that
People who don't have enough money to buy the basic necessities, food and People who are homeless etc... That's Poor And I know that, people who borrow money are not rich. (Well, some are rich but that's another matter) But It's nothing new about that.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
People who don't have enough money to buy the basic necessities, food and People who are homeless etc... That's Poor And I know that, people who borrow money are not rich.

lets define poor as the opposite of rich

who is richer, a person with $100 in hand or a person with $0 in hand- the person with $100?

now who is richer, a person with $1000 in debt and $100 in hand, or a person with $0?

food-stamps are there to provide the basic necessities (food, etc.) - but only for a certain period of time, after which people are expected to have "recovered" such that they can fend for themselves or atleast partially cover their cost of living

the difference between the student (who is poor) and the homeless person (who also poor, and also qualifies for food-stamps) is that the student is likely to change and become rich after college (or richer than the homeless person), while the homeless person is more or less "stuck" unless they manage to learn a skill/trade/something

students on food-stamps actually do what the program intended to do: help people through a tough time and then recover/stop using food-stamps, and eventually pay taxes to cover what they got from food-stamps, but not have a lifelong dependence on them

FireCat

Reaction score
while the homeless person is more or less "stuck" unless they manage to learn a skill/trade/something

students on food-stamps actually do what the program intended to do: help people through a tough time and then recover/stop using food-stamps, and eventually pay taxes to cover what they got from food-stamps, but not have a lifelong dependence on them
They might be stuck, but should we let this people starve to death? Just because "Poor student" doesn't have enough while they study? Well, I'm not against student use it but you see, it's mostly student who use it, now days. So does it really help people who have a tough time?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
They might be stuck, but should we let this people starve to death? Just because "Poor student" doesn't have enough while they study? Well, I'm not against student use it but you see, it's mostly student who use it, now days. So does it really help people who have a tough time?
If students have a tough time? Then yes.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
So does it really help people who have a tough time?

food-stamps? I would say yes, although I would also say that they should be part of a broader retraining program for those who aren't in school - people shouldn't be on food-stamps indefinitely

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.