US News Food Stamps No Longer For The Poor As A Record Number Of College Students Now Use Them

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
In fairness, it WAS a course for Russian language... but still, like some English can go a long way in helping us understand whatever the hell Russian has going on with the consonants.

And typically they will be split into subsections like that. Personal Finance isn't really economics though, it's... personal finance. I mean they are related, but to the same extent that reading class and English class are. And insurance is just fucking ridiculous.

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
I heard insurance was actually one of the most profitable :/
It's crazy that gambling is illegal in many states, and yet auto insurance is mandatory; what is it, if you're not making a gamble that you're going to get into a car accident? If you win, you get the pay off... and a fucked up car. If you lose, you just keep paying in to the dealer until you do win, if you ever do.
Why are they allowed to do that?

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
auto insurance is mandatory
Waitwhat.

I thought they just made money because plenty of people buy insurance but a far less significant fraction of them actually make claims for it, so the payout rates are quite high.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
yet auto insurance is mandatory; what is it, if you're not making a gamble that you're going to get into a car accident?
Everyone SHOULD have "insurance to cover themselves and others if they have an accident" Seriously, If someone gets in a accident with you, but you can't afford the damages
you're screwed!! And btw: insurance does also protects the car from fire, theft, vandals etc...

Varine

Reaction score
Waitwhat.

I thought they just made money because plenty of people buy insurance but a far less significant fraction of them actually make claims for it, so the payout rates are quite high.
It is. I pay like 1200 a year for mine, and I've only been in one wreck that had to be reported. Then when you have health insurance they basically pay hospitals some percentage of the actual bill.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
It is. I pay like 1200 a year for mine, and I've only been in one wreck that had to be reported. Then when you have health insurance they basically pay hospitals some percentage of the actual bill.

The only thing I'm looking forward to, is the mandatory health insurance, unless that has a negative impact.

Varine

Reaction score
The mandatory health insurance here in the US? That is nothing BUT a negative impact. No one even knows what is IN the bill.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
The mandatory health insurance here in the US? That is nothing BUT a negative impact. No one even knows what is IN the bill.
Then that's not what I had in mind. I'll uh... stay away then.

Varine

Reaction score
Please dude it was like the entire Harry Potter collection, only instead of a magical wonderland where he saves the day, everyone gets taxed for shit I don't need. No one read that thing in what? Eight hours or something? And we'll run out of doctors.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
No one even knows what is IN the bill.

that is a concern

I'm not completely opposed to the idea though, as most people can't afford to pay out of pocket for medical expenses, but doctors/hospitals don't always turn people away - they lose money because of that in order to keep the population healthy - they should be reimbursed for that

I agree that auto insurance should also be optional, but only if for people who have set aside 25k or so to cover any accident-related expense that they might cause - another issue is that as it is now, only about 2/3rds of drivers have insurance - if it's mandatory and only 2/3rds have insurance, what would the numbers be like if it was optional?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
that is a concern

I'm not completely opposed to the idea though, as most people can't afford to pay out of pocket for medical expenses, but doctors/hospitals don't always turn people away - they lose money because of that in order to keep the population healthy - they should be reimbursed for that

I agree that auto insurance should also be optional, but only if for people who have set aside 25k or so to cover any accident-related expense that they might cause - another issue is that as it is now, only about 2/3rds of drivers have insurance - if it's mandatory and only 2/3rds have insurance, what would the numbers be like if it was optional?
In my opinion, a health-insurance should not be mandatory but a car-insurance should be.
The health insurance is only for you, you want to stay healthy and you get an insurance. Or not and try to pay by yourself. Its like a gamble, but its up to you.

When it comes to the car insurance it has to cover not just you but also the damage on the other car if you are the one responsible for the damage. (thats how it works over here at least).
So if you dont have an insurance and you, for example, crash into someone, and you cannot pay you screw the other driver just as well.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
In my opinion, a health-insurance should not be mandatory but a car-insurance should be.
The health insurance is only for you, you want to stay healthy and you get an insurance. Or not and try to pay by yourself. Its like a gamble, but its up to you.

When it comes to the car insurance it has to cover not just you but also the damage on the other car if you are the one responsible for the damage. (thats how it works over here at least).
So if you dont have an insurance and you, for example, crash into someone, and you cannot pay you screw the other driver just as well.

the health insurance is only for you, but what happens if you get sick and you don't have health insurance? the doctor/hospitals aren't quite mean enough to turn everyone away, and thus they need to over-charge the people who do have insurance to cover up for those losses - which isn't a good scenario for anyone except those who get free services (which don't exactly deserve it.. )

the car insurance I agree that you need to cover not just yourself, but also the other car + driver + passenger(s) - which is why I said only if a person has 25K (or perhaps more) in a dedicated fund for such an event

FireCat

Reaction score
the doctor/hospitals aren't quite mean enough to turn everyone away
Hospitals "can’t "deny life threatening cases. But that's no wonder Right?

Anyway
The federal law passed in 1986 assures you emergency care, regardless of your ability to pay, but it does not mean the service is free, according to Erin Moaratty, chief of external communications for the Patient Advocate Foundation. The law applies to tests, surgeries or any service necessary to stabilize a patient.

“The federal law applies to hospitals that participate in Medicare — and that includes most hospitals in the United States. The law entitles you to three things: screening, emergency care and appropriate transfers,” Moaratty said.

“A hospital must provide ‘stabilizing care’ for a patient with an emergency. The hospital must screen for the emergency and provide the care without inquiring about your ability to pay. ... If you’re not having an emergency, then the hospital emergency room does not have to treat you. The hospital most likely will direct you to your own doctor or to a less-intensive-care setting.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
So it comes down to: Are you poor? Then this is not an emergency...

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Hospitals "can’t "deny life threatening cases. But that's no wonder Right?

yes, but because of that they need to charge other people more - that isn't exactly fair, is it? so the better way would be to have the hospitals receive money from the government for this service, and let the government pull money from taxes, as they can "generate" money more fairly than a hospital can - now whether it's via a health insurance for everyone provided by the government, or simply $$ for each x procedure where the patient was unable to pay, the net result would be just about the same, except that the insurance version would encourage people to go to their doctors more often for routine/maintenance/checkups, that reduce the long-term costs of healthcare, since in those cases, even if the patient "can afford" a checkup, they are still likely to choose to not get one due to being short on $$

FireCat

Reaction score
so the better way would be to have the hospitals receive money from the government for this service, and let the government pull money from taxes, as they can "generate" money more fairly than a hospital can - now whether it's via a health insurance for everyone provided by the government, or simply $$ for each x procedure where the patient was unable to pay, the net result would be just about the same, except that the insurance version would encourage people to go to their doctors more often for routine/maintenance/checkups, that reduce the long-term costs of healthcare, since in those cases, even if the patient "can afford" a checkup, they are still likely to choose to not get one due to being short on $$
They can get "Medicaid" (Health insurance program well, It depends on your age and soon) but it pays medical bills with State and Federal tax money. Or find out, if it is possible to arrange for reduced charges or set up a payment plan. etc. So you see there's not only one way.

Btw: I see what you did there ACCNAME You can't hide it

Varine

Reaction score
I have health insurance and hardly ever go see a doctor.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.