Health Genentech: brain cancer study promising

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
Biotechnology company Genentech Inc. said its cancer drug Avastin showed positive results in treating brain cancer over a six-month period.

The company said a midstage study of Avastin showed that 36 percent of patients given the drug lived progression-free from relapsed glioblastoma multiforme for six months. Meanwhile, 51 percent of participants given the drug in combination with chemotherapy lived progression free for six months.

Relapsed glioblastoma multiforme is the most common type of brain cancer. The results were presented at the 12th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Society for Neuro-Oncology. Avastin is already approvded to treat lung, breast and colon cancer.

The ongoing study involves 167 cancer patients who relapsed after previous treatment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
Anyone hear of the new technology that is being developed now? There is a team of scientist and doctors developing the ability to use radio waves to cook and destroy cancerous tumors. The principle is to coat the cancer cells with a metal that will, and here's the trick, attach only to the cancer cells. Because this metal acts as a conductor to the radio waves; allowing whatever it attaches onto to be destroyed, it is crucial that it be controlled.

The metal is intended to be consumed or drank. They have only been brave enough at this point, however, to test it on hot dogs, lol, and it has been fairly successful. I think that actually they are starting on lab rats now, but thats no joke about the hot dogs.

The original concept goes to a radio tycoon that was diagnosed with cancer. The idea sparked when one of his friends stood too close to a transmitter and his glasses caught on fire. This is still in development, however, could be truly fruitful if found viable as it would be far less devastating and intrusive than chemotherapy. Many cancer patients claim the therapy to be as bad or worse than the cancer itself.

The other breakthrough that I caught was with using nano-bots to fight cancer, and I am sorry if The Helper has already put out a post on this, that might be where I read of it. (I'm too lazy to go check), but If not then I would recommend an article on the subject. It is really interesting.

Cancer Cure FTW!:D

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
You know I already posted about it and you are right, the nanobots are the answer - I don't think in time for us though :eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.