Help with a Passive Behavior Ability

United

Reaction score
:banghead:

I'm trying to create an ability that passively increases max HP on a hero unit that learns the ability (which has several levels). I can't seem to get this to work PASSIVELY.

Right now, the ability is an 'Effect - Target' which uses a different effect for each level to apply a different behavior for each level -- meaning it must be targeted on yourself when the skill is learned and reapplied every time the skill is leveled. I want this behavior to be applied to the unit as soon as it's learned (and re-learned).

I'm sure it can be done (ideally avoiding triggers - but if there is no other way), I just can't wrap my head around it. I have several more skills I'm waiting to make until I can work this out. Any points in the right direction will help my map immensely!

This is something I've been having major problems with and I'm desperately looking for some ideas or a brief explanation if anybody knows how to do this.. thank you! :eek:

ZeroPoints

Reaction score
ok i just made the passive just then and works fine ill tell you all the things i did.
so i made 3 buttons cos its 3 upgrades so beef1, beef2, beef3.
then made 4 upgrades beefup, beefup1, beefup2, beefup3 i made eachs upgrade type to talent(im not sure if it matters).
in each i set the upgrade -affected unit array to my hero. and upgrade effects + i set as
Type:unit
object:hero1
first data refence is life maximum and second one is life starting ammount
and had this for both of them operation as "ADD" and value as "50"
and i changed ui icon for each to different ones except the beefup(im not sure if u need this one-i went off original terran infantry upgrades in basic sc2)
after thats done i made 3 requirements beef1,beef2,beef3 and are as follows

Field beef1
Requirement + ((None)|CountUpgrade(UnknownUpgrade1,QueuedOrBetter)[TechTreeCheat] == 0)

Field beef2
Requirement + (CountUpgrade(UnknownUpgrade1,CompleteOnly)[TechTreeCheat] == {Unknown Upgrade1}1|CountUpgrade(UnknownUpgrade2,QueuedOrBetter)[TechTreeCheat] == 0)

Field beef3
Requirement + (CountUpgrade(UnknownUpgrade2,CompleteOnly)[TechTreeCheat] == {Unknown Upgrade2}1|CountUpgrade(UnknownUpgrade3,QueuedOrBetter)[TechTreeCheat] == 0)

and then i made a ability beefup as type research. and changed its ability -info+
so command research 01 button beef1, upgrade beefup1 and inside it set its requirement to beef1.
and so on for beef2,beef3 and there requirements and upgrades.
once thats done go into your hero(im not sure for lvling up heros) just gointo ability - abilities + and add the ability beefup.
then in ability - command card+ you want to add 4 buttons to one command card space so beef1.beef2,beef3,beef3 and as
button beef1 you want it as ability command, requirements: none, ability: beefup,
ability command: beef1.
beef2 = ability command, requirements: none, ability: beefup, ability command: beef2
beef3 = ability command, requirements: none, ability:beefup, ability command:beef3
and for the random double button of beef3 we set that 2nd button to command type: passive.
and then you should be done.
spam me if you have problems i will try include screen shots if you ask :p

United

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the reply. I'm getting stuck and have a few questions.

Do my requirements need a Tech type?
Do my upgrades need to have the flag Tech Tree Cheat and do I need to check this value in the Count Ability requirements?
I can't figure out how to get this part of the 2nd and 3rd requirements you posted:
(CountUpgrade(UnknownUpgrade1,CompleteOnly)[TechTreeCheat] == {Unknown Upgrade1}1|CountUpgrade(UnknownUpgrade2,QueuedOrBetter)[TechTreeCheat] == 0)
Which option do I need to use to get that?

United

Reaction score
Can't seem to get this to work at all. I got everything exactly as you wrote it and it doesn't apply the upgrade. Maybe this is because it's a hero that learns the ability?

ZeroPoints

Reaction score
my bad i used different names. ill fix it up here.
Yes you need tech type as upgrade.

Field beef1
Requirement + ((None)|CountUpgrade(beefup1,QueuedOrBetter)[TechTreeCheat] == 0)
so in the window that this appears you can change from tree to expression keep it as tree.
and as follows under Show, you need to Add Requirement Node and it should automatically put "And" want to change it by selecting type on the right side and changing it to "Count Upgrade" and then set "Alias" that then apears underneath type to your upgrade no.1(in this case "beefup1") and change "State" to "Queued or better" and then Tick the Tech Tree Cheat.
then add another Add Requirement Node and change it to constant and leave it as 0.

and that is first requirement. i did it the lazy way when creating it by data tab--->add Requirement and set type as upgrade and copied from "Learn Terran Infrantry 1" and altered the data as neccasery.

So u can do this for requirement 2,3 or make it on your own.
Field beef2
Requirement + (CountUpgrade(beefup1,CompleteOnly)[TechTreeCheat] == {beefup1}1|CountUpgrade(beefup2,QueuedOrBetter)[TechTreeCheat] == 0)
Field beef3
Requirement + (CountUpgrade(beefup2,CompleteOnly)[TechTreeCheat] == {beefup2}1|CountUpgrade(beefup3,QueuedOrBetter)[TechTreeCheat] == 0)

and that is what it should end up looking like with since i had to messed up names

if you need further help ask ill make images :)

United

Reaction score
My mistake, shouldn't have said 'exactly' I used all the names of my stuff. I couldn't figure how to get the 2nd requirement node of the Use requirement on the 2nd and 3rd requirements (the "{beefup1}1" / "{beefup2}1" part) in the graphic view...but I typed it in from expression view... I would still like to know how to do that though.

This doesn't seem to work for me.... did I do it wrong? The ability has to be learned via a Learn ability-command on the command card... it seems like this wouldn't work for my set up... also if I got it to work, I would need it not to affect every unit of that type like a typical upgrade...

edit: I abandoned this approach in favor of a (mostly) trigger-based approach. It's a much more elegant solution than I had imagined. Very simple. Thank you for all your help. +rep

ZeroPoints

Reaction score
sorry about that well it must of worked partly because mine also gave every unit of the same hero the ability :( how is the trigger based approach you done work? do you mind sharing :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.