How do you detect the damage type dealt?

FhelZone

Have a drink of a nice cold mellowberry juice!
Reaction score
I want to detect the kind of damage dealt to the unit. If you think it is not possible, how will I make it so that when a unit attacks (deals damage) it does not interfere with the skills.

The explanation above is a bit weird, let me clarify it. I made a skill wherein when a unit deals damage to an enemy (Attacks) it causes a dummy to cast a skill on the damaged unit. The problem is, even if the unit only casts an ability, it is still considered that the unit has dealt a damage on the enemy.

Now to limit this I thought that if I detect the damage was hero, that is the time where the trigger fires. Because skills has spell type damage.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I dont think it's possible the way your describing it, maybe if you added a very short dummy effect to the spell just so you can check and see if it's there via trigger, or trigger the spell's damage and disable the damage trigger before the damage is dealt, and then re-enable it right after

FhelZone

Reaction score
Okay, so you don't get it. Its like this, when the unit has a specific buff, each attack enhanced with a skill targeted at the damage receiver. Though the prolem is that, the trigger is not supposed to happen when its only a skill.

Gtam

Lerning how to write and read!! Yeah.
Reaction score
Just use the event a unit is attack and in action add a event to your trigger attacked unit takes damage. That way it will work

FhelZone

Reaction score
Still the same result, the trigger still activates with skills.

Gtam

Lerning how to write and read!! Yeah.
Reaction score
In the damage event trigger you need to turn it off at the end and on in the attacking one

DonRoman

Reaction score
Solution 1: give your hero a orb ability which does nothing but place a buff on the enemy then check when the enemy takes damage if it has the buff --> has been attacked, if not it was a spell. Remember to remove the buff via triggers after your check. (might interfere with other orb effects .... :/)

Solution 2: has already been suggested, trigger all the spell damage, and set a boolean before you deal the damage and clear it after, that way whenever the damage event occurs you can check if the boolean is true or false, if it is true it was a spell if not an attack.

There are some attack/damage detection systems on wc3campaigns.net that use both of these principles, you can take a look at them if you want to.

FhelZone

Reaction score
So I guess I end up with the attack detection system. Is it right? Because the main concept was to create a spell that acts like an orb, though not with the interfering orb effects.

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
In this case I'd use Jesus4Lyf's Damage system. It allows you to detect damage, and filter it easier than most other systems. It uses vJass but if you need help with it just post here or in the Jass Help forum if you wish to attempt it.

roXplosive

Reaction score
I had an issue where one of my passive skills autoproced itself . Basically when hero damages stuff trigger activates and summons some dummy's that move around and damage stuff using UnitDamageTargetBJ(caster,target, damage ,....) you know the rest . Well I changed caster with dummy unit used to test for damaging condition and it won't autoproc any more . I used the raw method to have fun . Fill a map with monsters , use the skill and wait for warcraft 3 to make an error message .
Also made sure that my hero's other skills don't damage stuff directly and it won't autoproc when the hero damages himself (i have a summoning skill that damages the hero for each summon made) .

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.