Tutorial How to Make a Realistic Town

S

Star Ghost

How to Make a Realistic Town

Hi guys, This is my first tutorial and I have decided to give a tutorial on how to make a basic and realistic medieval town in the WE.

In this Tutorial I will cover all the different steps required to make a cool and good looking town, from terraining to doodads. Hopefully by the end you will also have learned a little about how towns grew and looked in medieval times.

Contents

0.5) Introductory Statement
1) The Terrain
2) I) How a town grows
II) Starting Yours
3) Doodads

---

If you think about it, towns don't just grow out of nowhere, they start in certain areas for a reason. This reason could be an industry like fishing or farming, or because of trade (e.g. a town built at the crossing of two important trade routes). You have to think about this when you are designing your town. In this tutorial I will be creating a small town which began because of the big ole forest next to it, which was good for logging and hunting.

Section 1- The Terrain

As I said, we are going to be making a logging town. This means, naturally, that we are going to need a forest of some kind. Now I have seen some great tutorials about making forests, so if you find mine boring use one of these, but for the sake of this tutorial I am not going to make a really complicated one.

Start by making your map, I'm using size 64x64 but you can use whatever you want. I think the Village Tile set is good because it has some great medieval tiles like cobblestone.

Set your initial tile to "Thick Grass"

Got everything set up? (if a screen shot is needed here please tell me)
Good.

Let's make a medium sized forest somewhere on the map. I'm going to place mine near the top.

As you can see I have included a sky, you can get tis by going to Scenario>Map Preferences. I have used Lordaeron Summer Sky. Like I said, I'm not going to go into how to make your forest, I'm just going to leave it at trees

Since this is a logging town, there should be some tree stumps laying around. You may want to delete some of your trees in one or two areas so it looks as if the loggers are pressing into the forest.

You may want to add more or less stumps depending on how long your town has been here.

At this point you may want to add a few foresty things such as doodads or ideas from other tutorials. Heres what I added:

If you can see it, I also added some patchy short grass into the forest to make it look more realistic

Let's turn away from the forest for a moment and make some hills. On my map I'm saying that the loggers chose a relatively flat area of forest for ease of logging, so I'm not going to go crazy with hills, but the terrain looks horrible flat. Add some small foothills (in a hilly area, foothills come before the large hills and are small to medium size) behind, or in front of if that's how you look at it, your forest. Use the 'apply height' tool in the terrain palette to do this.
You may or may not want to keep a small area near the forest flat for your town's buildings.

Create one or two larger hills if you want.
It should look something like this:

Now you can extend you hills into the forest, make sure they aren't to big at the very start of your forest, but they can be bigger in the back. I have decided to keep the area with the stumps flat but the rest of the forest hilly.

I think the forests looks a lot nicer and scenic with hills in them, but if you don't like them then don't use them.

Well that about wraps up Section 1, on to 2

Section 2- The Town

I) How a Town Grows

When I say this, I mean a medieval town. As I said earlier, towns don't just randomly appear out of nowhere, they are there for a reason, but this doesn't mean that medieval towns were clean, organized, or anything like that. They didn't randomly appear but they randomly expanded. I mean that your average town wasn't planned out, they were "Do it as you go along".

That means that when you are making your city, while it may look nice, it's more realistic if you city isn't laid out on a grid and if you more or less do it as you go along. This does not mean throwing buildings onto your map with no regard to what your doing.

Most towns were divided into to general sections- Commercial and Residential. These names should speak for themselves. If you don't know what they mean, Residential is housing and places to live, while Commercial is stores, markets and inns.

When designing your map it will make more sense to divide your town into these sections.

Ok, now that that's said, I'll tell you how medieval towns grew. first they started out as a village, with maybe a small church, a few houses, an Inn (like a hotel) and one or two trading shops. If the village was prosperous, and if the inhabitants reproduced <3 then the village would grow. People would build more houses, shops, and Inns until the village became big enough to call a town. Once a village reached "Towndom" people from surrounding villages and farms would buy things from the town which would make the town wealthier than anyone else. This also meant that nobody else ever got any money so there were very few towns around.

If you don't understand this part it's ok, you don't absolutely need it.

II) Starting Your Town

Ok, it's a lumber jacking community right? So naturally we need some Lumber mills or something like that. I went to Scenario>Player Properties and made Player 12 (Brown) Neutral. I will use him to place any non-doodad buildings.

Go into the Object Editor, select Units, and find the Human Lumber Mill. Change the "Art- Scaling Value" to something larger and more realistic. I used 1.5

Place about two Human Lumber Mills near the stumps in your forest. If you want you can put a few workers or villagers and even order them to chop wood through triggers, but I won't go into that.

Please note that according to my writing in I), this is going to be a village. I am making it smaller because there is no need to make a massive town just to teach you the basics.

Now let's make us some houses. I'll use the "Small House" doodad but you can use whatever you want. Think about how many Lumber mills you placed when you make your houses. Let's say that there are two men in each house who can work in the mill, and let's say that one lumber mill requires 10 workers. That means you need at least 5 houses for each mill. I made 2 mills so I have 10 Houses.

But wait... That doesn't look so cool... Yeah well the WC3 house doodads leave something to be desired, you might be better off with a custom one. But there are a few things we can do to make this look better.

Let's add a road using the "Stone Path" tile. Make it go along through all your houses and to the mills. Also add a little area like the one indicated by the red lines (more on it in the Doodads section).

Now go over to the right (or left if you want) of your town and let's place a few things.

First let's make a church. The only church doodad is a cathedral, and that doesn't work for a small town. I am going to use the Town Hall but you can download a custom church if you want. I also changed the scaling on the Town Hall to 1.75. You can rename it to Church if you like.

tutorial11.JPG

If you want to, you can put some shops or an Inn of some kind in this area now, I will not take a screen shot of it though.

Well this tutorial is getting pretty long, I hope you're not bored!

Section 3- Doodads

Now the more fun part, doodads. Open up your doodad palette and set it to Village and Props. I'm not going to add a screen shot for every step but I will for the finished product.

Our poor villagers have no lighting, so let's strategically place some lanterns around the village.

Next, we need a well or a fountain for the poor guys to get a drink from. A well doodad can be found under structures. You can use that little area we made with the red lines around it to put a well/fountain in, and you can make more of them if you want.

Place some fences around if you want to.

Make a little graveyard away from the main part of the village with some peasant graves and one or two regular ones. Put some flowers around the graves like memorials. Now that we're on flowers, put some flowers around your village to brighten the atmosphere. Also add some shrubs. Angled flower beds and potted plants are good too, but if this is a poorer village don't use them.

I also put one or two benches around the village.

For the final touch, put in a few Neutral animals and a few Villagers.

Here's the finished product:

tutorial12.JPG

:eek: Happy Mapping!

P.S. The last two screen shots are attachments because PicTiger is down for maintenance :banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:

Demi666

Reaction score
well its a nice tut i guess, but i dont like it-_- thats more of a small small village with 10population then a town, anyways +rep

S

Star Ghost

Well I thought about making a larger town however I figured that I would just tell people the basic things about making a town. You could make a map as large as you like using this.

And it's not 10 population it's about 75 :p they had big families back then

Thanks for the rep

TheCrystal

Reaction score
I rather have the screenshots REALLY big on the screen, then clicking a link. Its just personal.

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Yeah, so, click on your links, then click on your picture, then when the picture takes up the page, copy the link in the nav bar, and paste in

R

Ricky

Hi

Hi~Ricky

Well ilike it!;) No really i think it is very usefull, definately going in my map "writes it down in a notebook":D You only nead a small village to show people how its done:

To me it looks very realistic. Especially since its hard to make something realistic with warcraft houses!:D

S

Star Ghost

Thanks for the positive comments :D

I would have used IMG tags but in most forums I have been on it is disabled, and everyone else seems to use links. I'm in an Internet Cafe (in an airport [lol {in Holland}]) so I don't have time to edit.

I'm about to go on my vacation (finally) so my replies may be a little on/off, which means that I won't be able to keep up my 10 posts per day :(

zoll3

Reaction score
Yeah , i really like this , and all other people ! dont ask Star_ghost to make a bigger town or claim about the small one ..

He's only trying to help people that needs it , and that should be enough prove on that the only thing u can do , is to give feedbacks .

I like it , if people likes ur idea , but too small town .. JUST use the realistic idea from hes tutorial and make it 50% bigger .. isnt that hard..

Instead of 2 lumber mills , take 4 !

Instead of 10 hourses , take 20 !

Instead of 1 church and a waterfall .. Take a church , a castle and 2 waterfalls !

It isnt hard to do it ..

Just dont tell other people their idea is too small ..

Hes idea is very very usefull and good , i think even very skilled terrainers could use the idea .. i liked it alot..
+rep for your fantastic job.

^^

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
The town does not look realistic. Take a look at the scale of humans to buildings. Also, have you ever seen a town look like that before? A real town that is.

Oh well, least you tried. Props for that.

Elite Footmen

Dimaspy

Reaction score
GREAT tutorial!

I'm making these town-like maps, and could really need this thread. So thanks!

+Rep for you!

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
More graves than alive people aye?
Houses are sinking into the hills.. Ah!
Fountain in the ground, bench in the ground...
2 lumber mills in a tiny village? lol
Town hall needs to be scaled ^.

Newbwc3

Sephiroth_VII
Reaction score
Looked at the finished product pic and its an ok town. In a cinematic im working on from time to time. I have a large city and I look forward to everyone flaming it by saying that its not realistic. :D I think my town is good tho.

I

ICedigger

Good work man. ;) I think it got really realistic at the end. <3

Hero

─║╣ero─
Reaction score
Beautiful Terraining...and tutorial

>I rather have the screenshots REALLY big on the screen, then clicking a link. Its just personal.

I agree with you :p

+rep Star Ghost

Omg Demi you quoted the whole thing..lol

Ryuu

I am back with Chocolate (:
Reaction score
> make it 50% bigger

You just made it 100% bigger.

Anyway, this tutorial explains everything except the most advanced about town-terraining, so I suggest having an advanced town-terraining tutorial and link it from this tutorial to show how the are related.

Also, I suggest not having the same Villager, Villager 2, Female Villager, Child and Child 2 models AGAIN and AGAIN, it sickens me. Perhaps using the bandit model without his sword would be good, some people on horses, or perhaps the peasant model. Omit all attacking equipments from them using Model Editor or any other program and it'll be a greater one.

Nevertheless, nice job! +rep ;)

mr-death

Acolyte
Reaction score
Nice Town, adding some doodads will be perfect!

Anyway I think you should give variative buildings instead of lumbermill and town hall, scout tower maybe? ;)

S

Star Ghost

-"More graves then alive people"

Yes, the town has been around for a while.

-"have you ever seen a town look like that before"

Yes, but if you don't think so, heres a really good idea: write your own tutorial and do all the research to find out what a town really looks like. You do have a good point about scale though.

I decided that as soon as I get back from my vacation I am going to write an advanced city terraining tutorial which will be alot bigger and include all of the suggestions which I feel are realistic and relevant such as scale and the whole thing about villager models (I never would have thought of that)

H

Hjalle

Good tutorial, very useful for beginners and for people who want to make a more realistic town. The only thing that bothers me is the fontain. It doesn't really fit in imo.

I grade this tutorial: 8/10

My outcome using this tutorial:

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackrage

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Someone should make a RPG using this terraining :)

Really Good Tutorial, and those small towns are just samples;)

~GaLs~

† Ғσſ ŧħə ѕαĸε Φƒ ~Ğ䣚~ †
Reaction score
ohh brother...please dun torture me with the link and the small image...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.