how to set Notepad++ as default notepad?

setari

Reaction score
alright so i want to set Notepad++ as my default HTML editor for my web pages i make and upload to my site. I have replaced, er rather, renamed notepad in C:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386
C:\windows\system32\dllcache (I actually couldn't find it in here for some reason)
C:\windows\system32
C:\windows

I have replaced all of those with the notepad in them with Notepad++. But when I view my source on the internet explorer webpages, it doesnt even open up notepad, much less notepad++.

Edit: K i fixed it to open notepad again, but i want it to open Notepad++.

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Depends ...

In Vista with IE7: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2007/03/28/ie7-in-vista-configuring-your-view-source-editor.aspx

In IE8 (beta) ... not sure but it has its own colour-coded viewer and doesn't use notepad

If you aren't on Vista.. .the old way used to be to create registry (string) value called HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor and put the full path in there. Not sure if that was just for IE6 or if it still works with IE7 on XP for example.

I believe if you install Visual Studio it will use that as an editor. Maybe even the Visual Studio Express version which is free (not sure if you are set on notepad++ or if you just want colour-coding.)

Other browsers like Firefox probably have their own way (probably easier too!)

setari

Reaction score
Well yeah forgot to mention i was on XP. And Im using IE8 for my webpages, (and firefox doesnt let you edit the source code anyway.). I have SP3, also.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Edit: No frakkin' way! I hate IE8 now. Im gonna go get IE7 back. =P

Editx2: Hah, DUH. I just reinstalled it and checked off "use as default editor for IE"... thx for the help though!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.