Icon Malice

nicolas

Reaction score
Hi there,

Here a question which i guess you have had more then once but i got some problems creating my icons.

Im using:
irfanView
Buttonmanager
Wc3 viewer

So first i get an item and i resize it to 64 x 64 in irfan view and save it as a .TGA

Following that i go to button manager and i create a button border around it and save it. As i save it with buttonmanager it will create 1 BTN and 1 DISBTN automaticly.
When i have done this i use wc3 view to convert the TGA to BLP.

When i import the images with the correct paths (BTNitem Ring2.blp, DISBTNitem Ring2.blp) and i change the icon of the item it still gives me a green box when i push the menu. This gives me the conclusion that my DISBTN isnt correct. I also believe my icons are 24-bit but this is something i dont know for sure, i use the extract (and convert) BLP in wc3viewer to get it 24 bit but i dont know if this works and how i can see if its rly 24 bit.

So anyone got an idea what the problem could be?

Thx in advance!

johnnymra

Reaction score
If i recall... the path is:
ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNICON.blp (where ITEM is the name)
ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtonsDisabled\DISBTNICON.blp
Or in case is a passive...
ReplaceableTextures\PassiveButtons\BTNICON.blp
ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtonsDisabled\DISBTNICON.blp (yes, the passive ones still use "commandbuttonsdisabled")

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
Passive buttons use ReplaceableTextures\PassiveButtons\PASBTNICON.blp for their normal path and ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtonsDisabled\DISPASBTNICON.blp for their disabled path.

johnnymra

Reaction score
Oh, my mistake... good thing you said :) I was a bit in a hurry and didn't reminded the 'PAS' in the path.

nicolas

Reaction score
Alrdy have been to the turtorial.. the thing is i thought i could use the normal BTN paths without commandbuttons aswell now i changed it to as what you said it and now i get the reverse problem.. the item gets green and when i click the menu the DISBTNshows how it should be..

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
A few things to check:
  • If using TGA format, DO NOT save alpha channels.
  • If converting to BLP format, DO save alpha channels.
If you get a green box or a black box where your icon should be, it appears your graphic isn't properly working.
Firstly, make sure your import path is correct, typically most problems that occur are because the person has not imported the icons into the correct path.
If you decided not to use a DISBTN icon, that the green box you are seeing is NOT the DISBTN, because that is expected.
If that is not the case, make sure you have merged your icon properly onto the graphic and that there are no "floating" images in it. Consult your picture editing program help guide on how to do this.
Did you save the alpha channels right? You SHOULD NOT save alpha channels if you are using TGA icons. You SHOULD save alpha channels if you are using BLP format.

Green: Icon not found.
Black: BLP with without alpha channels.
Crash: TGA with saved alpha channels.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.