Ideal maps to create for a beginner?

Does anyone have some ideas of what maps I should create? I am stuck on anything to make because its too hard or too easy :thdown:

Thanks.

Magoiche

Reaction score
When i started.
First i picked Object Editor and go messing around with spells.
It was pretty fun. u.u
Then i started to make(trying actualy) triggered spells.
Good Luck to you =]

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
1. practice with the terraining, put some doodads, units, raise/lower the terrain, make lakes, rivers, mountains, forests, towns...
2. start with the trigger editor basics, on simple triggers like where you need to colect a key to open gates to be able to pass and stuff
3. after you get some basics, start more and more advanced triggers
4. after you get used to some nice triggering, start learning variables, loops and custom scripts (they are most complicated, well I mean, most harder to learn, but easy when you learn them) and when you get to the part you don't understand, ask us

Curo

Why am I still playing this game...?
Reaction score
My first map was a tower defense, but I found it tedious, so I gave up on it. I found that I didn't start getting into the ability editor and trigger editor until my third map. My advice is to fool around and things will start to fall together, and an idea will form. You want the idea to form out of you using the world editor. If you try and start with an idea, you may be disappointed when you start to mingle with the world editor.

Razed

Reaction score
My very first map I created was an Escaper Map. My skills with triggering were below noobish-ment, but hey! It was fun. When the map was completed I had a lot of fun with it and it was just a little level (like ~100x100 size).

It's not very hard, just some basic triggers :)

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I started by making a TD. It has all the basics of the World Editor, terrain, unit editing and triggers. I followed Sheriff Panda's tutorial, here, which was really helpful.

When i started.
First i picked Object Editor and go messing around with spells.
It was pretty fun. u.u
Then i started to make(trying actualy) triggered spells.
Good Luck to you =]

How do I create custom spells? o.o

Dinowc

Reaction score
trough triggers (if you really want "custom" spells, made by your imagination, not the existing ones that can be editable)

simplest triggered spell is a triggered blink xd (although I was using a variable and custom script for removing leak, you don't have to use them):

Code:
e: unit starts the effect of an ability
c: ability being cast equal to Custom blink
a: set target = target point of ability being cast
   move triggering unit instantly to target
   custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_target)

Code:
e: unit starts the effect of an ability
c: ability being cast equal to Custom blink
a: set target = target point of ability being cast
   move triggering unit instantly to target
   custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_target)

Ok, looks hard, how do I get normals spells and edit the damage ect?

Dinowc

Reaction score
Ok, looks hard, how do I get normals spells and edit the damage ect?

the code tells you what it does

"Move triggering unit instantly to target"
or
"Create 1 footman at center of playable map area"
so what it tells you, it does it - its not so hard (ignoring the custom scripts, I don't get them either xd since it's not written in english language, its in jass - programing language)

anyway go to object editor > abilities tab and you can find all the blizzard's spells there

Sk8-tEr

Reaction score
e: unit begins casting an ability (Casts a spell?)
c: ability = storm bolt (normal ability)
a: set unit's (target unit of ability being cast)[which is unit about to get owned by storm bolt] property (life) [which is his hp] to unit (target unit of ability being cast) 's property (life) - 10
this might look hard but all the () are parameters to which like unit is
unit () and in the () you have the value, or which unit
and the [] are just infos from me
so this trigger...
when a unit casts storm bolt on a unit... the unit will take 10 damage [plus whatever storm bolt does]

Waiiiit... did you mean by not using triggers?
oh in ummm ability editor you can modify all abilities and make your own
storm bolt does like 100 damage idk but you can make it do 110 by goingt o ability editor and changing the value ffrom 100 to 110

Sk8-tEr

Reaction score
The picture of a helmet is the units tab.... i forgot what the ability tab looks like but its near the right

Sk8-tEr

Reaction score
its not in file or advanced or any of those its under all that a little but its attatched to the top... there is a picture of a helmet and a picture of a couple other things.... the a is trigger editor.... the helmet is unit editor...
still cant find it?

WAIT!!!
click on the helmet!!
then you will be able to see the ability tab
the helmet is under module and window

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
EDIT: That trigger might actually be a little advanced, sorry if it is :p .

You guys should use WC3 tags and not show him half-assed code :p .
He's a beginner, showing him codes that aren't complete will throw him off.

Here's a pretty simple spell for you 893.
Whenever the unit casts the spell, it heals all allies in a 300 AoE around the unit that the spell was cast upon:
Trigger:
  • Sporadic Heal
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Sporadic Heal
    • Actions
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 300.00 of (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast)) matching (((Matching unit) belongs to an ally of (Owner of (Triggering unit))) Equal to True)) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Unit - Set life of (Picked unit) to ((Life of (Picked unit)) + ((Real((Level of (Ability being cast) for (Triggering unit)))) x 15.00))

Here's an explanation for you :) [explanations are in RED:
Code:
Sporadic Heal
    Events
        Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability [color=red][This means when the unit starts to cast the spell][/color]
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Sporadic Heal [color=red][This means that the "Ability being cast" must be "Sporadic Heal", which is the only spell I want this trigger to run when cast][/color]
    Actions
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 300.00 of (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast)) matching (((Matching unit) belongs to an ally of (Owner of (Triggering unit))) Equal to True)) and do (Actions) [color=red][This makes a "Unit Group"; it then picks all units within 300 AoE of the position of the target that "Sporadic Heal" was cast on; Then it takes all those units, and checks if they are an ally of the "Owner of (Triggering Unit)" which is just the unit that cast the spell][/color]
            Loop - Actions [color=red][It will take all the units that got picked, that are now in the unit group, and do the following actions][/color]
                Unit - Set life of (Picked unit) to ((Life of (Picked unit)) + ((Real((Level of (Ability being cast) for (Triggering unit)))) x 15.00))[color=red][It sets the life of the unit to what he already has plus "(level of the ability being cast) x 15"; so if the ability is level 1, (1 x 15) = 15, it will heal all the units for 15, if the abilities level 2, (2 x 15) = 30, it will heal them all for 30, and so on][/color]
Hope this helped a bit ;) !

EDITEDIT: To all you "advanced" trigger-ers, I know this leaks...

Sk8-tEr

Reaction score
Wait he can't find the editor to edit abilities
to make storm bolt do 100 damage at lvl 3 or something

well click on the helmet then more tabs appear right?
buffs/effects/units/items/abilites
then click on abilities

sry map editor isnt in front of me right now and its not on the comp im using

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.