Is checking player names secure?

Dwarvenfrog

Reaction score
Trigger:
  • If - Conditions
    • (Name of (Picked player)) Equal to BoB

This trigger runs depending on a players name.

Is this secure? Is someone with a spoofer gunna be able to disguise themselves as BoB and trick that trigger into working?

Anyway to make it spoof proof?

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nope.

Its not spoof proof, but you can add in a password.

Dameon

"All the power in the world resides in the eyes"
Reaction score
Yeah it is spoff prof.

People fail to realize that spoffers use code to make a name, when the trigger reads the name it reads the code as well, so the code will be in front of the spoffed name and wont be a match.

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
GetPlayerName returns a player's name, even if it is spoofed. I know this for a fact.

It even carries over color codes, and can color an entire string :p.

Dwarvenfrog

Reaction score
True. Now that I think about it that does make sense, but I'm not willing to test it as last time I spoofed I got banned for a month in Blizzards big ban spree. So... can anyone else support Dameon's statement?

bOb666777

Stand against the ugly world domination face!
Reaction score
Yeah it is spoff prof.

People fail to realize that spoffers use code to make a name, when the trigger reads the name it reads the code as well, so the code will be in front of the spoffed name and wont be a match.

Fail?

Not all spoofs have color codes...

Dameon

"All the power in the world resides in the eyes"
Reaction score
Go on line and go into any custom hero arena map with some one who has there names spoffed, then look at the name on the multiboard.

This is easy to do your self as well, just create a test map with a multi board and set it to display your name, then use a spoffer.

Glorn2

Slap n' Tickle
Reaction score
I have a handful of things set that only Glorn2 can do in my map. I also have a password system, and a special case-sensitive list for all my testers.

I am not on my home computer, so cant copy the trigger for you, but in a very simple way it s...

elapsed game time is X seconds

action
pick every player whose controller is a user
"or"
if players name is not equal to "Name"
ect.

Kick player from game, displaying ____ message.

I also have a trigger...

After X seconds (30)
if a player hasnt typed "password"
remove player from game.

If you want something that is specific for yourself, you can make something like...

A player enters a chat message equal to _________
name of player entering text is bOb
turn on trigger

then just make your other trigger be whatever it is you want only yourself to be able to do.

A decent "hacker" could deprotect your map, and look into all of this, then spoof your name, enter the password, and have your powers. Most "noobs" who deprotect maps and import premade hack-packs wont be able to figure it out though.

I had a problem with some noob hackers trying to call my map theirs, and found that simply copy/pasting the "password" triggers a few times was enough to scare them off.

this is prolly more than you were looking for, but I think the answer is in there somewhere.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.