Sci/Tech Large Hadron Collider could test hyperdrive propulsion

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
The world's most powerful particle accelerator, the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), could be used to test the principles behind hyperdrive, a possible future form of spacecraft propulsion that could drive spacecraft at a good fraction of the speed of light.

The idea of a hyperdrive propulsion system arises from the work of an influential German mathematician, David Hilbert, in the 1920s. Hilbert studied the interactions between a stationary mass and a relativistic particle moving away from it. He calculated that if the particle was moving faster than around half the speed of lightm an inertial, distant observer would see the particle as being repelled by the mass.

Now a physicist in the U.S., Franklin Felber, has taken Hilbert's almost forgotten proposal and reversed it, calculating the repulsion should be mutual, with relativistic particles also repelling the stationary mass. Felber suggests this hypervelocity propulsion could be used to propel a stationary mass to a sizeable proportion of the speed of light.

Felber likens the idea to an elastic collision between two objects of very different mass. If a heavy mass collides with a light stationary mass, the lighter mass rebounds at around twice the speed of the larger mass. In the hypervelocity propulsion drive a relativistic particle would repel a stationary mass at a speed greater than its own.

Last edited:

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
We need to go faster then light to really achieve space travel, sadly.

CysticCraze

Reaction score
The issue with space travel in our system is the ever dangerous and constant chance of problems. When traveling in space the worst part is take off and landings because the factor is "what if" and then a list of possible problems. I think this in no way will reduce that "What if" on takeoff, but possibly might lead to less days spent in space cutting down on the time that things could possibly go wrong. But yea, anyone whos develled with space travel understands traveling at the speed of light just doesnt cut it. Plus Einstein calculated that if you were to travel to the sun and back at the speed of light it would take you something like 80 days?(Dont judge me) And when you return to earth 100 years will have passed for them. So correct me if im wrong, but have we created a time capsul?

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
> Plus Einstein calculated that if you were to travel to the sun and back at the speed of light it would take you something like 80 days?(Dont judge me) And when you return to earth 100 years will have passed for them. So correct me if im wrong, but have we created a time capsul?

Where did you see that?

> We need to go faster then light to really achieve space travel, sadly.

True.

Prometheus

Reaction score
Going to the sun and back at the speed of light would take 8 minutes.

Reaction score
If the space craft is traveling at just below the speed of light, it would take far less time than 16 or 8 minutes for the person on board to travel to the sun and back.

Prometheus

Reaction score
Last I heard it was 4 minutes for light to reach Earth from the son.

Whitesock

Graphics Help Zone Moderator
Reaction score
Last I heard it was 4 minutes for light to reach Earth from the son.

Ok, I got this directly off of a google search. That means it is from the google website, not a link.

the speed of light = 299 792 458 m / s

Therefore we can do a calculation using the 149  597  870.691 km info for the distance to the Sun from Earth (though the son may just be closer than that :p)

299 792.458 km/sec or 17 987 547.48 km/minute

149 597 870.691 divided by 299 792.458 ≈ 499 light seconds (how far light travels in a second)

OR

149 597 870.691 divided by 17 987 547.48 ≈ 8.3168 light minutes (how far light travels in a minute)

I hope this explains any questions you had about the distance to the Sun.

Reaction score
These figures are from wikipedia, though I'm sure you will find the same answer of about 8 minutes of distance between the Earth and the Sun if you google it.

Due to Lorentz contraction, the distance between the sun and the earth would actually be shorter for the person aboard the moving space craft.

Prometheus

Reaction score
We're going by the set "second" we have created. Not how it becomes warped during space travel.

Reaction score
I am also going by the set second. If you took your watch on a trip to the sun at relativistic speeds, you might see only 30 seconds elapse before you get there. Observers on earth might see 480 seconds. Time truly is relative.

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.