Mapping Competition

Centreri

Reaction score
Staredit Network is hosting the first of what we expect to be many mapping contests: Starcraft II Mapping Contest #1

At the moment, SEN is trying to expand its SCII resources to appeal more to former WCIII mappers - our major problem is that, as a previously SCI mapping community, our members are generally having a rougher time than previous WCIII mappers in moving over to the new Galaxy Edit. This competition is meant to start fixing that - IP is offering small cash prizes ($35 and $15 dollars) to the first and second place winner, as well as mineral prizes (SEN currency for account upgrades). For Starcraft One, Staredit Network was the place to be as a mapper - our members were the ones who discovered Extended Unit Deaths, essentially hacking SC from inside a map - and we're definitely expecting to continue our tradition of innovation with Starcraft 2.

Things that will be judged are the map itself - creativity, professionalism and how fun it is to play - as well as contributions to Staredit Network in the form of Wiki entries, tutorials, resources (which would presumably include useful functions, models, etc). Submissions are due on May 22nd by midnight (-8 GMT), and you should submit both the map and links to your submitted resources (Our SCII Database will be up in a few days, and our Wiki skin is a work in progress) in a post in the linked thread by that time.

All that you need to begin is register, which is done as easily as in any other such website.

If you're looking for more exposure or feedback for a map you're creating, feel free to post about it in our "Custom Map Production" forum. Anyway, check us out, and register for the contest. $35 isn't that much, but if you're already working on something, why not get something out of it? Don't forget to visit occasionally afterwards, too, because there will be more competitions to come.

Arkless

Reaction score
Thats so godamn cheap, trying to pull over peple to your site with offered prices...

why not get something out of it?
Because of that sentence I will definetly not come. You are only trying to buy us (I hate it that you will probably still have some success with cheap tactics like this).

punwisp

Reaction score
I think you mis-understood what he said.

He wasn't talking about the prices in general being cheap, hes talking about how hes luring members from here to there with basically a chance to win money, keyword *money* which can be interpreted into him buying our members to there site.

Centreri

Reaction score
We have everything else, we just don't have the publicity, because, as a formerly SCI-only website, we were never part of the WCIII mapping sphere. Yes, we're trying to use money to lure content to the website - but we're not paying you to join us and become active, only for submitting good content for our Wiki. We're not forcing you to post and help others in random forums or log in every day for x days - you just need to do it to submit the information. Feel free to grab a tutorial you wrote for another website and simply transfer it to our wiki, that will count. And submit a map you're already working on. However, hopefully, it'll take more than one tutorial to win, though. :p

Centreri

Reaction score
Yes, we've been purely SCI mapping and modding (using 3rd party tools to forcefully edit Starcraft code). If you still play SCI a bit, you should try out some of our more awesome maps/mods - my personal favorite is Elementa, which is an unfinished (From what I understand, it takes so much effort to finish a single hero for just two players that Lethal_Illusion got sick of it in progress) warlock-style map.

Anyway, yeah, that's our main problem. Most of our members know nothing of WCIII mapping and have had a hard time transferring, so our admins decided to host a competition to temporarily make up for our domestic shortfall of maps/tutorials. Nothing sinister about it. :p

punwisp

Reaction score
Wow dude

Staredit is like paint

WE is like early photoshop

GE is like 10 years later major update photoshop

Also I'll take a look at this *Primitive* Mapping site :3

punwisp

Reaction score
Lol? Though I use puns a lot, the pun in my name was named after punisher over a decade ago xD

Centreri

Reaction score
Maybe you're right of the comparison, but then think - If our mappers can make a Warlock-like map in paint, what can they make in Photoshop? :p

At least, that's how I like to think of it. Maybe I'm delusional. <_<

punwisp

Reaction score
Wonders, but I was talking about learning the difference of the 2, then learning the photoshop compared to paint.

Centreri

Reaction score
Yeah, that's currently our problem. And our userbase, which used to be gigantic, has shrunk in recent years as SCI lost popularity. We're also hoping it'll grow as SCII is released and as older members return to us.

punwisp

Reaction score
You need a group of good Sc2 mappers, then people will flock to you for guidance towards mapping, and if you have some good projects/maps then more will.

Plus, I think you guys need a new theme ^.^

It seems a bit 90ish xD

Centreri

Reaction score
We actually have eight skins, five of them with substantial differences between each other beyond recoloration. You probably can't choose between them logged out; it's under "Extras" under the shoutbox when logged in, though. I personally use "Maplantis", while the default is "Epic".

Plus, not to offend, but doesn't TheHelper use the default vBulletin skin? :p

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Sounds good, also I like the design. I took a look at your site and can give you some pointers to getting more exposure, myself being a webmaster if you like.

punwisp

Reaction score
We actually have eight skins, five of them with substantial differences between each other beyond recoloration. You probably can't choose between them logged out; it's under "Extras" under the shoutbox when logged in, though. I personally use "Maplantis", while the default is "Epic".

Plus, not to offend, but doesn't TheHelper use the default vBulletin skin? :p

Looks like the default, but it still looks appealing, to me it doesnt have the 90ish very outdated feel :p

And thanks ill mess with the themes

Centreri

Reaction score
We're actually advancing fairly quickly. IP went into overdrive when he returned from a year-long hiatus two weeks ago - we have one PR admin now, with a new Community admin pending. You can now turn SCI or SCII forums on/off, the planets theme is being reworked to look nicer, the Wiki's still being skinned properly, and we let in several members who'd misbehaved in the past to help us out in answering mapping questions (and one of these, Corbo, instantly became PR admin :p - he's actually fairly trusted, despite having misbehaved - he was pissed with how slow SEN was to adapting to SCII).

We apparently have a partnership, or will have one, with Nibbits, and from what I understand Zeeg is helping IP with the financial expenses of hosting future contests (which will probably be monthly occurrences, and probably with more than $50 per contest). Also, our contest is now a news article on Nibbits.

Our SCII download database is apparently usable now. The extra features like bug-tracking aren't added in yet, it isn't skinned, etc, but you should be able to add a map and view it. I'm not sure if it's implemented yet, but we have members also working on a SCII map parser so we can extract data like the minimap, players, forces, etc and stick it in the online file viewer. Once the immediate upgrades are finished, IP will return to coding v6 of our website, which he's shown me has some awesome things - he's using AJAX and jquery extensively, it's very interactive (though not close to completion yet, probably a year or more to go).

Yep, just bragging. I was very frustrated at how slowly we went for the past few months, but then IP returned. :D

Also, to elaborate: The contest doesn't require a finished map. As long as we can see some work and are impressed, you will be scored on that. IP was a bit disorganized about it, but I'm prodding him to create an official panel of trusted SCII mapmakers to judge. And, again, you can copy/paste your own tutorials into our Wiki (including linking to your youtube video tutorials, I would expect), format them, and that's perfectly allowable, even if they're on another website already. We just want your content :p.

Oninuva, any advice would be greatly appreciated and if not already being implemented (or if I don't know about it being implemented) I'll definitely pass it on. That said, Corbo got the PR Admin job largely because of this post (which got 1000 views within 24 hours), so we should theoretically have a plan going.

punwisp

Reaction score
All I really have is a full terrained 4 player map, mainly melee, with altered mineral amounts.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.