Atari Company Michael Arzt, COO of Atari VCS and Connected Devices has left Atari

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score

Dear Friends, Colleagues and an Amazing Community:

After 5 years of nonstop hustle at Atari, it is time for a change! Thursday, March 31st was my last day with the company.

What an amazing opportunity it’s been to work for the pioneering game brand that first got me excited about interactive entertainment as a kid, and in 2017 gave me the unparalleled opportunity to reimagine its iconic hardware and create the all-new Atari VCS! In a career where I’ve “pulled off the impossible” several times, this is at the top so far…

Trolls called it a hoax, a scam, vaporware, underpowered android garbage, and many other terrible (and completely incorrect) things. They did their absolute best to convince the industry that it would never happen; that Atari was a band of crooks and everyone that contributed to the original Indiegogo campaign all would lose their money. I always knew they were wrong. I built an amazing team that was willing to follow, held the course, and delivered something authentic and real to the community.

In December 2020, in the thick of a pandemic-fueled parts shortage, the Atari VCS started landing on backers’ doorsteps. The hardware was beautiful and well-built, and the early adopters were finally admiring the “real wood” we’d promised. We delivered the basics at the beginning, with the Atari VCS Vaults, Antstream Arcade and a few great indie games to play, and the backers were thrilled for the most part. They gave us their sincere thanks and their precious feedback. YouTubers started loading them up with Windows and Steam and emulators and doing what YouTubers do. The bottom line is that despite enormous headwinds, Atari delivered what it promised, and it was legit.

Since then, there have been many more great games and apps added to the Atari VCS, several OS updates that improved the user experience, including the ability to play literally ANY cloud gaming service (Xbox games on an Atari!) and slowly but steadily improving reviews from both press and the community. While the VCS following may still be modest, it is deeply engaged and continues to inform and impress the teams’ work every day.

Now, I will move on to new and different adventures, and can’t thank my team, partners, and colleagues enough for all their unwavering support and friendship over the past 5 years. I happily leave the Atari VCS in a good place and ready for what’s next. I have deep gratitude for everyone I have had the pleasure to work with, learn from and guide along the way since 2017. There’s too many of you to mention by name, just know I’m proud of all we accomplished together! I wish you all continued success and much happiness. I also give humble and sincere thanks to the members of the Atari community who supported the VCS project and still do so to this day.

First up for me is a bit of time off to enjoy with my wonderful wife (and maybe the kids, if they opt to come around). I'm looking forward to recharging! After that, I hope to get neck-deep again into something new and exciting. I am firing up the networking and talking with folks already about so many thrilling things happening in games, entertainment, and emerging tech and thinking hard about what might be next.

Please reach out and say hello! It’s already been great fun playing catch up with so many of you after two years without in-person events, conferences, and meetings. Of course, please also let me know if you hear of a team looking for an entrepreneurial leader with global brand and product marketing experience in entertainment and/or enthusiast lifestyle sectors, including video games, sports, music and more.

Excelsior!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.