Microsoft's Monopoly

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
For a long time, people were concerned about console wars. Strict PC gamers thinking that the PC was the ultimate way to game, Sony Playstation fans (hell yeah) believing the Playstation was far superior to Nintendo's younger style and Microsoft was just a computing company trying to seize an industry, die hard Nintendo fans claiming that the only proper way to game was with a motion stick Wii... console wars have been a big debate for years, about which was the best. However, there is another thing that most people fail to see, and that is that each system is designed for different people, and therefore, different people will choose to use them. This goes for almost anything: food, clothes, movies, computers, furniture, people, you name it, everyone has a different preference. People fail to see this, which brings me to one of the two main topics I want to discuss in this post.

The Monopoly that is Microsoft.

A monopoly, not the board game, is an economic term to describe a force that is so massive and controls so much of the market that others can not sell at a similar level, and have trouble building popularity. Once a monopoly begins, it is very hard to end it, especially if people are not willing to. Microsoft is one of these giant monopolies that people can not even begin to understand. Over 80% of computers run on a variation of Windows, such as Windows 7, Windows XP, Vista, or specialized windows system developed for things such as menus and interfaces is public places. Think of the problems that come along with this mind blowing proportion. Here's sort of how it goes:
  • People do not feel the need to make things for other platforms
  • There is then limited software for other platforms
  • Those Operating Systems can not take off
  • Microsoft successfully eliminates another business.
Now, what's the problem with this? I wrote it above.

However, there is another thing that most people fail to see, and that is that each system is designed for different people.

Everything is designed for different people! Some people see OS X as the best operating system, so people enjoy Windows, others like Linux! So if other people like those other systems, they would naturally switch. Right? Wrong. The problem is, they can't switch, because they would have to deal with limited software and less support in a world where eight out of every ten computers are running on a Windows variation. But how do we stop this spiraling cycle into a world of one dominant system?

The sad thing is, it's not easy. Some projects such as WINE have made switching easier, but it is not enough. However, this is a way that it can be stopped, as long as people are willing to listen!

The answer to the cycle is cross platform production. When people make software cross platform, that is another game or utility or cleaning program for all systems, and it makes people want to go out and buy the new system, or get it online legally. When they go out and get the new system, if they are developers, they may make things cross platform, too. This opens up a whole new cycle, of people switching to the new system and people more cross platform software. But some people are likely still reading this and thinking, "Why? Why can't people just get Windows?"

I explained it before, so people, try to wrap your head around it. Not everyone likes the same things! Some people like the sleek look of Apple computers and OS X, and others are fine with the refined look of Windows 7 since they can get more software, while others prefer the command line interface on Linux. People have taken their love of getting their own thing so far that there are hundreds of variations of operating systems people have to suit their needs exactly. So why do you feel as a developer not to support these other people? They merely took a different step than you, and it is part of the efforts to convert an entire planet of people using Windows to a cross platform world.

I plead with you; coders, developers, project leaders: Make your products cross platform and help everyone get what they want and eliminate the monopoly.

Do note, I am not saying that Windows should not be around at all, I merely think that it should not be the only system around.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Make your own system then.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What would that accomplish? Did you even read the post?

esb

Reaction score
Yes. What does your post accomplish?

Microsoft has made a sufficient OS that the vast majority is satisfied with. Those who complain, use a Mac or Linux or who knows what.

If it's about looks, windows is customizable. There's Mac themes, for windows.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, but the entire purpose of the post was to get people to understand that they should not just be developing software for use on Windows. Me creating another system won't do anything.

esb

Reaction score
The only reason they should develop software compatibable for other OS (Ex. Mac) is to gain more um... forgot what they're called... "users/clients/consumers".

Just because Mac doesn't have high numbers of users compared to Microsoft, doesn't make it a 'monopoloy'. Both Mac and Microsoft can be considered monopolies.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
How could Apple be considered a monopoly at all? Other than with Media players, it holds less than 10% of the computer market.

esb

Reaction score
You said it, it's the media monopoly.

Anyway, what's the point of this thread? To boycott Microsoft? Why? Because it's more successful than Mac and Google OS and who knows which other unheard of OS?

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
microsoft isnt taking advantage of their monopoly, monopoly is actually a good thing if the company does not take advantage of it.

If they start to think "hey! these people NEED us, if we raise our prices then they still have to come to us." Then that would be a problem, but they are not doing that.

Just because developers are going for microsoft, because of more users, doesnt mean you have to complain about it, you chose not to pick microsoft, it is no one else's fault

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's not complaining, it'd be nice if you could get over it. The Monopoly is in fact a problem, even if Microsoft doesn't take advantage of it. It makes it harder for the other 10-20% to use computers, and this number is growing.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
but..what is wrong with microsoft it is an OS it is not a computer. If people used the same OS everyone could be on the same page instead of some people only knowing the OS for apple and not microsoft.

esb

Reaction score
Then what is it?

Mac is more of a monopoly. Selling the iPhone, then they see they have a lot of consumers, they change the plans from unlimited to very limited. Along with AT&T being the only phone service provider for an iPhone. They're controlling their own product, yes that's true and fine. And yes, there's many other phones out there, but what about the "10-20%" who want an iPhone but can't get one because of whatever reason?

Microsoft does not force anybody to make products compatible for MicrosoftOS. The makers choose to.
Which reminds me of how bigger of a monopoly Apple is. Their 'products' (files, etc.) are only compatible with other apple products. Meaning, you need to use a specific Apple product to view/edit/open another Apple product. The only reason they have iTunes and Quicktime for a MicrosoftOS is because they would lose MANY customers otherwise.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
but..what is wrong with microsoft it is an OS it is not a computer. If people used the same OS everyone could be on the same page instead of some people only knowing the OS for apple and not microsoft.

But the point is, that what you are saying is not the point. As the (second to) final statement in the original post states, developers should strive to make software cross platform.

Bronxernijn

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
As long as Microsoft's supply satisfies the demand, who cares about their monopoly?

esb

Reaction score
You're blaming the lack of software cross platform on Microsoft, not the developers. It's like saying every game should be compatible with PS3, XBox 360, PC, and other gaming consoles. Obviously not going to happen.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Then you are not interpreting the post correctly. The post is about Microsoft stopping cross platform development. If there were around 4 Operating Systems used commonly, then it would be more likely that people would be making cross platform things.

esb

Reaction score
Microsoft isn't stopping anything. Learn what a monopoly is, then come back and make a post about it.

If there were 4 common operating systems, do you know how much of a hassle it would be? Both for the cosumer and the supplier?
There's three (Microsoft, Mac, Linux) and people barely cross platform for two.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Want to not be rude? Thanks, it'd be nice.

Microsoft does have a monopoly, even if it is not trying to have one.

Cornface

Avoid, if at all possible.
Reaction score
You're pleading all the programmers/developers/whatever to make their products crossplatform? Why waste time on that when they can just make it compatible for Windows, since 95% of everyone is using it? :rolleyes:

And seriously, who cares if Windows owns 90% of the market, I don't mind, they're doing a good job. Except for Messenger, damn I hate that chat client. But oh wait, I might as well switch to some other chat client then.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why don't you tell that to the 20% using Linux and Macintosh? We like what we're doing, but because of Microsoft, it is harder.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.