move help

Gamewolf3000

Reaction score
i need help with a move system, i need an ability to let me move my character from one space to another that i choose. the ability must let me choose different ones and the spaces are fixed, i first thought of invicible units that the ability could target but that doesn't seem to work.

here is an example

|1|2|3|4|5|

|a|b|c|d|e|

if these are the square i want to be able to move from a to b, but with same ability i want to be able to move from 1 to a instead if i would like to

it is quite much like chess pieces moving.

ZakkWylde-

Reaction score
do you want the pieces the slide there (like in an ice maze)?
otherwise, can't you just order a unit (with whatever model art you want) to MOVE to that point (I assume, depending on what the user does)?

Smitty

Reaction score
A little more information would be helpful, do you mean you want a fixed set of points and an ability which will make a unit move to a particular point (one for each point)? If so you could use regions, but you would need a trigger to run alongside each ability. If this is what you need, I'll show you what to do :)

Just clarify slightly what it is that you want.

ZakkWylde-

Reaction score
based on what smitty just said--i think i understand what you may want.

when a move order is issued, check the X and Y of the move order, and see if it is in any of the "acceptable-to-you" regions. If so, stop the initial order, and order the unit to move to the centerX and centerY of the region. If not, --you decide what you want to happen; my guess would be a stop--.

on another note, are you looking for a button (like a spell) on each unit, that you could click and then click again somewhere on the board to do the movement for you?

EDIT: or maybe you want an ability individual to each unit (with its own moveset) -- like a knight, unhindered, can move to 8 points, whereas a pawn can move (at theoretical most) to 4 different points?
if you're making a chess game, i think saying so would clarify your intention

Gamewolf3000

Reaction score
yes an ability that instantly moves my character to a specific point but not one for each point just one for choosing a point and moving to it

as i said a little like chess

Smitty

Reaction score
If you want the orders to be issued as abilities (cast as spells) create as many self-casting abilities (all based off different spells of course) as you have points. These abilities will be shared by multiple units depending on which units you want to be able to move to which points. Make these abilities have no actual effect, and make sure they have obvious names (eg. 'Move point 1'. You can change this later but for now it will make it easier to trigger each ability). Then create as many regions (using the region palette) as you want points, each region centred on a point.

Next you want to trigger your abilities so that something actually happens when you click them. Create a new trigger (let's call it 'move to point 1'). Here's a quick guide;

Add the event 'a unit begins casting a spell'.
Add condition 'spell cast is equal to (move point 1)'
Add action 'order (triggering unit) to move to centre of region 001' (or whatever region is appropriate)

Repeat this trigger for each ability, replacing the ability name and move order as needed. Once you have done this, you can rename your spells to whatever you want, but I'd advise having them with easy names to understand while you're triggering, for ease of reference.

This system should work if I've understood you correctly and you want units to be ordered to move to fixed points using single-click abilities. I've explained it in the simplest way I can because I don't know how apt you are with the WE, so please don't be offended if it seems I'm making it too easy. Also, I really hope this is what you needed, cos it was a bugger to write on my phone :p

Good luck with your project :)

Smitty

Reaction score
Well, I managed to double post, but I'll edit this one as a footnote; if you want a single ability to move a unit to each point, you'll obviously need to make it targetable (unless you want the unit to move to a random point). For a targettable movement, just use a targettable base ability instead. However, triggering it would be a little different.

You could try this;

Add the event 'a unit begins casting an ability'

Add the condition 'ability is equal to (ability name)'

Add an 'if/then/else' action;
IF 'target point of ability is within (let's say 300) range of centre of region 001'
THEN 'order triggering unit to move to centre of region 001'
ELSE (here add another if/then/else to check the next region)
Etc.

This is a kinda ugly and long winded way to do it, and impractical with lots of points, but it should do what I think you want if my first post was incorrect :)

Good luck

ZakkWylde-

Reaction score
yes an ability that instantly moves my character to a specific point but not one for each point just one for choosing a point and moving to it

as i said a little like chess

Are you looking for an ability like blink? If so, do what I said about checking the X and Y of the move order, except for blink... (and blink should work pretty well, especially because blink--I think--has a relatively lengthy animation cast, which can be interrupted before the actual move...or you could just put in a wait time I guess, and use that time to check the order location)

@Smitty

You typed an essay on your phone...holygeezus

Smitty

Reaction score
Like a boss. But my thumbs are sore :( if he says 'oh nevermind I fixed it' I think I might just kill someone. Possibly me.

inevit4ble

Reaction score
Like a boss. But my thumbs are sore if he says 'oh nevermind I fixed it' I think I might just kill someone. Possibly me.
lolollolol :D

You say a little like chess, but it chess? or a modified version or even a grid like pattern with the points in it?

Because if it is then you can have 1 "Move" ability and have it target a point. then you can check if the point either falls in a region (if its a close grid cause it would be annoying if you kept missing the region) and move the unit to that region
Or
Check which region is closest to the target point and move the unit there
*By move I mean move instantly or ordered, depending.

Alternatively you could make some unit like a "Teleport Rod" which would be an allied building to the casting unit and use "staff of teleportation" or "town Scroll" as a base spell.

Gamewolf3000

Reaction score
ok i might have been a bit unclear. it is not chess but the movement system is pretty much the same.

units stand on squares ( like on a chees table) and will then have the ability to move to another square (different amount of moves depending on the unit) the unit must however move to a square that is next to the one it is standing on (like pawns move in chess) but they can choose to move in all directions ( like a queen in chess) there will be many different units so i need an ability that works for them all.

the suggestions u all have been giving me is great but they will let the unit choose freely on what square to move to which will destroy the purpose of the map. i hope u more understand what i am looking for now and that u will be able to help me.

Smitty

Reaction score
So you want the unit to be able to move to any adjacent square?
In that case, use my trigger, but set the maximum range of your spell so that it can't be targetted at an area beyond the next square over.
I'll run a few tests, hope it works :x

Good luck :)

ZakkWylde-

Reaction score
So you want the unit to be able to move to any adjacent square?
In that case, use my trigger, but set the maximum range of your spell so that it can't be targetted at an area beyond the next square over.
I'll run a few tests, hope it works :x

Good luck :)

I will say that the range of a spell creates a "CIRCLE of possibility," whereas it sounds like we want a square. Why not make regions over each square, set an array to each column--the index to each row (creating the tiles A[1] through H[8], like on a chess board), and then make sure that the spell target falls within the desired regions... (say if you were in region D[4], make sure the issue point is in one of C, D, or E, and that the index is 3, 4 or 5)

ALTERNATIVELY, depending on the unit, you could, IN A FUNCTION, create a region or regions when the unit casts the spell (based on its range of motion), and make sure that the issued point is within (one of) the rects you create...
If this is not clear, let me know. I'd be happy to help.

Smitty

Reaction score
My trigger does check for the nearest point to where the spell was cast, so a circle wouldn't really be a problem as long as it was big enough to cover all options needed. However my method is probably a bit clumsy, I was just suggesting one simple option without getting too in-depth.

ZakkWylde-

Reaction score
For a radius of 1 (tile), a circle may not be too bad...however, imagine a radius of 4 tiles -- the difference between the circle and the square is enough so that tiles are completely omitted :D

Gamewolf3000

Reaction score
ok i get what u guys are talking about but it was way to long since i last worked with the editor so a demonstration would be very much appreciated ^^

Smitty

Reaction score
Yeh, but he only wants for the one tile. As I say, it's not a pretty solution but for this example it'd suffice :]

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.