Gaming NetEase Files Lawsuit Against Blizzard Entertainment Seeking $43.5 Million in Refunds (Update: A gamer filed a lawsuit, not NetEase)

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Former Chinese publishing partner NetEase has filed a lawsuit against Blizzard Entertainment, seeking ¥300 million Yuan (roughly $43.5 million USD) in refunds for discontinued games and services to more than 1.12 million players since the server shutdown last January.

As reported by Chinese media conglomerate Sina Technology, the long-time publishing partner is suing Activision Blizzard over a violation of licensing agreements - demanding compensation for refunds to players, as well as unsold merchandise inventory and deposits on undeveloped games. The suit also includes what NetEase is calling several "unequal provisions favoring Blizzard Entertainment" in the licensing agreements between the two companies, such as bet-on agreements and large sum deposits by NetEase in order to insulate Activision from risk.

Shanghai NetEase Network Technology Development Co. Ltd. filed a lawsuit in Shanghai against Blizzard Entertainment Ltd. for breach of the series license agreement, seeking a refund of 300 million RMB. The amount includes full refunds paid by NetEase in connection with discontinued games such as World of Warcraft, prepayments for the inventory of unsold games, and prepayment deposits for several undeveloped games. The case also involves World of Warcraft and other CN region game related agreements: contains a number of unequal terms and conditions in favor of Blizzard's unilateral rights, the legality and enforceability of the relevant provisions of the huge dispute.

It is reported that the primary reason for NetEase to sue Blizzard is because Blizzard refused to assume the obligation of refunding players in the CN service and refused to pay NetEase the prepaid commission fee related to the CN service refund, involving an amount of nearly 100 million RMB. Since January 24, "World of Warcraft", "Hearthstone Legend", "Overwatch" and other Blizzard games service shutdown in CN, in order to maximize the protection of CN player's rights, NetEase already paid in full of more than 1.12 million players related to the refund applications for Blizzard games in CN.

NetEase Isn't Suing Blizzard - A Disgruntled Gamer Is

Following yesterday's story that former licensing partner NetEase was allegedly suing Blizzard Entertainment for $43.5 million in refunds, Sina Technology has since reported a response from Activision Blizzard, stating "Blizzard has not received the relevant complaints, but we believe that we have not violated any licensing agreements."

Blizzard replied: "Blizzard has not received a lawsuit at this time, but we believe we have not breached any licensing agreements. The contract terms that NetEase is suspected to be dissatisfied with involve standard industry practice and have been mutually beneficial to both parties over the years. While we are disappointed and confused by these ongoing actions, it is important to note that the nearly two-decade operational history in China has been very positive and enjoyable, and we remain committed to serving and protecting the rights of our local players."

So where did this confusion come from? How did Chinese media manage to report a lawsuit against Activision Blizzard without Activision Blizzard even knowing about it? After a little bit of research, we've discovered conflicting court documents which paint a confused, yet telling picture.

So, there is a mix-up somewhere.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    News portal has been retired. Main page of site goes to Headline News forum now
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am working on getting access to the old news portal under a different URL for those that would rather use that for news before we get a different news view.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Easily done
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    https://www.thehelper.net/pages/news/ is a link to the old news portal - i will integrate it into the interface somewhere when i figure it out
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Need to try something
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hopefully this won't cause problems.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hmm
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I have converted the Headline News forum to an Article type forum. It will now show the top 20 threads with more detail of each thread.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    See how we like that.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do not see a way to go past the 1st page of posts on the forum though
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is OK though for the main page to open up on the forum in the view it was before. As long as the portal has its own URL so it can be viewed that way I do want to try it as a regular forum view for a while
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is with the pagination.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    It SHOULD be there so I think it might just be an artifact of having an older style.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I switched it to a "Standard" article forum. This will show the thread list like normal, but the threads themselves will have the first post set up above the rest of the "comments"
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I don't really get that article forum but I think it is because I have never really seen it used on a multi post thread
  • Ghan Ghan:
    RpNation makes more use of it right now as an example: https://www.rpnation.com/news/
  • The Helper The Helper:
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What do you think Tom?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    I will have to get used to this.
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    The latest news feed looks good
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I would like to see it again like Ghan had it the first time with pagination though - without the pagination that view will not work but with pagination it just might...
  • The Helper The Helper:
    This drink recipe I have had more than a few times back in the day! Mind Eraser https://www.thehelper.net/threads/cocktail-mind-eraser.194720/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.