Discussion New Ice Age Predicted -- But Averted by Global Warming?

Dr.Jack

That's Cap'n to you!
Reaction score
Deep ice sheets would cover much of the Northern Hemisphere thousands of years from now—if it weren't for us pesky humans, a new study says.

Emissions of greenhouse gases—such as the carbon dioxide, or CO², that comes from power plants and cars—are heating the atmosphere to such an extent that the next ice age, predicted to be the deepest in millions of years, may be postponed indefinitely.

"Climate skeptics could look at this and say, CO² is good for us," said study leader Thomas Crowley of the University of Edinburgh in Scotland.

But the idea that global warming may be staving off an ice age is "not cause for relaxing, because we're actually moving into a highly unusual climate state," Crowley added.

In about 10,000 to 100,000 years, the study suggests, Antarctic-like "permanent" ice sheets would shroud much of Canada, Europe, and Asia.

"I think the present [carbon dioxide] levels are probably sufficient to prevent that from ever happening," said Crowley, whose study will appear tomorrow in the journal Nature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
My biology teacher told us that there has always been hotter seasons and then there has also been colder seasons (aka ice ages). So I don't think this would affect much to what happens after next 10,000 years :p..

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
global warming is just a bunch of bull shit anyway..
I agree.
I think the effects are really small.
It's just an excuse by the government to tax everything possible.

The UK will have breathing tax next...

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Is there any TH member who knows a lot about Climate Change and Global Warming? I don't know much about the subject, though I am interested.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is there any TH member who knows a lot about Climate Change and Global Warming? I don't know much about the subject, though I am interested.
I know quiet a lot about it.

I know that Volcanoes and other natural (non-human) stuff are responsible for ~90% of the Carbon Dioxide in the atmosphere :)*

Hmm.. Maybe this should be a debate.. :rolleyes:

* - Not sure about the source (Heard from someone else)

Knight7770

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped aliophobia
Reaction score
Well, I'm not an expert, but I can explain the basics of global warming:
All of the extra carbon dioxide that we humans have been emitting, mostly from cars and factories, is being trapped in the atmosphere. Therefore, the world is retaining more heat than it should, which is increasing the global temperature. Eventually, if we keep polluting like we are now, the world will become really hot, and we won't be able to survive. Basically, anyway. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Well, I'm not an expert, but I can explain the basics of global warming:
All of the extra carbon dioxide that we humans have been emitting, mostly from cars and factories, is being trapped in the atmosphere. Therefore, the world is retaining more heat than it should, which is increasing the global temperature. Eventually, if we keep polluting like we are now, the world will become really hot, and we won't be able to survive. Basically, anyway. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

And what are some disputes that people have with this fact?

Knight7770

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped aliophobia
Reaction score
And what are some disputes that people have with this fact?
They think it's all a conspiracy and that the government is making it up. I don't buy any of that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.