Gaming New iPad joystick promises more precise gaming actions.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Whatever they make will have half the specs and cost six times as much.
That I doubt, actually. Like I've said, Steve Job's has said apps on the Apple TV may happen at some point and it only costs $99.
Yes, and your point is?
The XBox 360 has more powerful graphics and a more powerful CPU and 512MBs of RAM doesn't bottleneck it, so it won't really for the iPad 2 either.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I'm talking about a console, not the Apple TV, which is not a console and wouldn't stand much chance against things like the Xbox and PS3, when it comes to actual power. The Apple TV is basically a low end computer that could be built, minus the OS, for like twenty bucks. Assuming you could find the parts, which would probably be the hardest part. However Steve Jobs is now gone so what he says doesn't matter. And the memory in the Xbox does bottleneck it, but the games are obviously designed to cope with it.

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
The XBox 360 has more powerful graphics and a more powerful CPU and 512MBs of RAM doesn't bottleneck it, so it won't really for the iPad 2 either.

The Xbox 360 hardware is much more powerful than the hardware the iPad 2 has, so comparing the two is a waste of time.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
The Xbox 360 hardware is much more powerful than the hardware the iPad 2 has, so comparing the two is a waste of time.

That isn't what makes it a bad comparison, and what's the point of telling him not to? You know he's going to anyway; I'm wondering at this point if he does it just to see how many people tell him not to. Seems like something I would do.

Anyway, the Xbox is solely designed to play games; iPad, Apple TV, etc, are all general entertainment devices. They aren't designed to do the same things. You can't, for instance, take your Xbox with you and get directions with it, or use it for presentations at meetings, reading, etc. Likewise, you won't be able to play Gears of War II on the Apple TV or iPad. That's what makes it a bad comparison.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
I'm talking about a console, not the Apple TV, which is not a console and wouldn't stand much chance against things like the Xbox and PS3, when it comes to actual power. The Apple TV is basically a low end computer that could be built, minus the OS, for like twenty bucks. Assuming you could find the parts, which would probably be the hardest part. However Steve Jobs is now gone so what he says doesn't matter. And the memory in the Xbox does bottleneck it, but the games are obviously designed to cope with it.
That isn't what makes it a bad comparison, and what's the point of telling him not to? You know he's going to anyway; I'm wondering at this point if he does it just to see how many people tell him not to. Seems like something I would do.

Anyway, the Xbox is solely designed to play games; iPad, Apple TV, etc, are all general entertainment devices. They aren't designed to do the same things. You can't, for instance, take your Xbox with you and get directions with it, or use it for presentations at meetings, reading, etc. Likewise, you won't be able to play Gears of War II on the Apple TV or iPad. That's what makes it a bad comparison.
You're correct about the current (second) generation Apple TV which only sports an SGX535 and would be capable of running games like Angry Bird at 1080p at best (and only maybe). However, the third generation will at the very least sport an SGX543MP2 as is the same in the iPad 2. That won't run Crysis 2 or anything, but games like Infinity Blade, Real Racing 2, and other more visually attractive games would be able to run at 1080p quite well. (In fact, Real Racing 2 already does do 1080p fluidly.)

From an article I've read, they quoted someone who was educated on the subject saying that the SGX543MP2 was about half the power of the 360's GPU (ballpark estimate) which is still quite powerful.

And there's nothing to stop Apple from using an SGX543MP4 or MP8 which would offer two to four times the power of the MP2, considering that the Apple TV doesn't suffer from the limitations of the iPad.

By the time you throw in the A6 which could either be a higher clocked dual-core (1.5GHz) or a lower clocked quad (1GHz), as well as 1GB of LPDDR2 RAM, and an SGX543MP4 (or newer) for less than $150, you've got yourself a winner.

Apple would only have to add an App Store for the Apple TV and an SDK for Apple TV development. Multiplayer support (over WiFi) would be easy and split screen support would be possible if they wanted. Even having compatibility between iPhone and iPad so you could play Infinity Blade for example on your TV against someone using an iPad.

And my point with the comparison was that if the 360 can cope with 512MB's of RAM with significantly more powerful hardware, then it shouldn't be a bottleneck in the iPad 2.

Do you see my point though? The Apple TV has the potential, when Apple is ready. Also, whilst Steve Job's did resign, he is still on the board of directors and will still be (heavily, I'd bet) involved in Apple.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +1
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.