Gaming New iPad joystick promises more precise gaming actions.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Whatever they make will have half the specs and cost six times as much.
That I doubt, actually. Like I've said, Steve Job's has said apps on the Apple TV may happen at some point and it only costs $99.
Yes, and your point is?
The XBox 360 has more powerful graphics and a more powerful CPU and 512MBs of RAM doesn't bottleneck it, so it won't really for the iPad 2 either.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I'm talking about a console, not the Apple TV, which is not a console and wouldn't stand much chance against things like the Xbox and PS3, when it comes to actual power. The Apple TV is basically a low end computer that could be built, minus the OS, for like twenty bucks. Assuming you could find the parts, which would probably be the hardest part. However Steve Jobs is now gone so what he says doesn't matter. And the memory in the Xbox does bottleneck it, but the games are obviously designed to cope with it.

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
The XBox 360 has more powerful graphics and a more powerful CPU and 512MBs of RAM doesn't bottleneck it, so it won't really for the iPad 2 either.

The Xbox 360 hardware is much more powerful than the hardware the iPad 2 has, so comparing the two is a waste of time.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
The Xbox 360 hardware is much more powerful than the hardware the iPad 2 has, so comparing the two is a waste of time.

That isn't what makes it a bad comparison, and what's the point of telling him not to? You know he's going to anyway; I'm wondering at this point if he does it just to see how many people tell him not to. Seems like something I would do.

Anyway, the Xbox is solely designed to play games; iPad, Apple TV, etc, are all general entertainment devices. They aren't designed to do the same things. You can't, for instance, take your Xbox with you and get directions with it, or use it for presentations at meetings, reading, etc. Likewise, you won't be able to play Gears of War II on the Apple TV or iPad. That's what makes it a bad comparison.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
I'm talking about a console, not the Apple TV, which is not a console and wouldn't stand much chance against things like the Xbox and PS3, when it comes to actual power. The Apple TV is basically a low end computer that could be built, minus the OS, for like twenty bucks. Assuming you could find the parts, which would probably be the hardest part. However Steve Jobs is now gone so what he says doesn't matter. And the memory in the Xbox does bottleneck it, but the games are obviously designed to cope with it.
That isn't what makes it a bad comparison, and what's the point of telling him not to? You know he's going to anyway; I'm wondering at this point if he does it just to see how many people tell him not to. Seems like something I would do.

Anyway, the Xbox is solely designed to play games; iPad, Apple TV, etc, are all general entertainment devices. They aren't designed to do the same things. You can't, for instance, take your Xbox with you and get directions with it, or use it for presentations at meetings, reading, etc. Likewise, you won't be able to play Gears of War II on the Apple TV or iPad. That's what makes it a bad comparison.
You're correct about the current (second) generation Apple TV which only sports an SGX535 and would be capable of running games like Angry Bird at 1080p at best (and only maybe). However, the third generation will at the very least sport an SGX543MP2 as is the same in the iPad 2. That won't run Crysis 2 or anything, but games like Infinity Blade, Real Racing 2, and other more visually attractive games would be able to run at 1080p quite well. (In fact, Real Racing 2 already does do 1080p fluidly.)

From an article I've read, they quoted someone who was educated on the subject saying that the SGX543MP2 was about half the power of the 360's GPU (ballpark estimate) which is still quite powerful.

And there's nothing to stop Apple from using an SGX543MP4 or MP8 which would offer two to four times the power of the MP2, considering that the Apple TV doesn't suffer from the limitations of the iPad.

By the time you throw in the A6 which could either be a higher clocked dual-core (1.5GHz) or a lower clocked quad (1GHz), as well as 1GB of LPDDR2 RAM, and an SGX543MP4 (or newer) for less than $150, you've got yourself a winner.

Apple would only have to add an App Store for the Apple TV and an SDK for Apple TV development. Multiplayer support (over WiFi) would be easy and split screen support would be possible if they wanted. Even having compatibility between iPhone and iPad so you could play Infinity Blade for example on your TV against someone using an iPad.

And my point with the comparison was that if the 360 can cope with 512MB's of RAM with significantly more powerful hardware, then it shouldn't be a bottleneck in the iPad 2.

Do you see my point though? The Apple TV has the potential, when Apple is ready. Also, whilst Steve Job's did resign, he is still on the board of directors and will still be (heavily, I'd bet) involved in Apple.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.