New JASS (vJASS)

MaxTM

Reaction score
I was deep involved with making spells at 2006-2007, and now, I want to be back for my spell making hobby.

I usually made spells with jass, in that time the only system I used was the Handle System. (i don't think there were more systems available that time, just KaTTana's and Vexorian's)

But now, i looked up for some info about the new JASS stuff, and I pretty much get structures, methods, and all things about vJASS.

But i want some tips of which systems should I be using for any type of spell.

Thanks in advice.

_whelp

Reaction score
Use

UAC for auras. (I actually never made an aura spell.)
PUI for attaching to units or something.
or whatever systems out there.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Now we can use libraries and scopes, thanks to vJass, so there is shitloads of systems everywhere, and people make new ones every day.

Important link: JassHelper Manual

You should check these at least: TimerUtils, GroupUtils, Table, PeriodicLoop module ( or some similiar struct array thingy ) some UnitUserData based indexing system ( like AutoIndex or PUI ) and some DamageDetection system. ( Moyacks UnitRecycling & DamageDetection -system is pretty cool. )

UnitProperties is maybe the coolest system around there, you should check it too.

Just check wc3c.net script section.

MaxTM

Reaction score
So UAC is for managing units aura
and PUI I looked at the code and didn't found any practical use for it

I've also heard about Timer Ticker, ABC and the newest version of Caster System.

Which of these should better replace the old Handle Vars ?

Akolyt0r

Reaction score
I prefer the Wc3Campaigns-shit (wc3c= teh origin of vjass)...like TimerUtils, UnitIndexingUtils, GroupUtils, Table (=gamecache)....
Maybe even new shit like AutoIndex instead of UnitIndexingUtils, havent tried it yet though, but sounds fun...

your HandleVar thing is mostly coverd by TimerUtils (for timers ...), UnitIndexingUtils (for Units), Table (for the Rest ...)...

You should probably try to gain some knowledge about the current state of knowledge about wc3-related bugs ....or at least no a lil bit about them ...
e.g:
* dont use DestroyTrigger (can cause completely random bugs)
* dont use DestroyTimer too much

MaxTM

Reaction score
Thanks all

So I'm going deep in the systems, but just for a matter of curiosity, how many systems a map could handle? (at same time) Is there some kind of conflict with some systems? Some major bugs?

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
Some systems will conflict, primarily unit indexing systems. But that's it. You can have any number of systems in your map. It won't adversely affect memory much. Code doesn't.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
So UAC is for managing units aura
and PUI I looked at the code and didn't found any practical use for it

I've also heard about Timer Ticker, ABC and the newest version of Caster System.

Which of these should better replace the old Handle Vars ?
Well, there's nothing that says you have to use these systems (auras can be self-made if you want to - they don't particularly need external systems) although there's nothing stopping you either

Although, in the case of PUI, that is extremely useful, particularly for channelling spells (since you can associate data with a unit, then retrieve that data later when the unit stops casting the spell). Also, if you want to make things other than spells, PUI is great e.g. keeping a kill-death counter for particular units would be far easier with PUI than without it

As for timer systems, it depends on what you want. TimerUtils would be the easiest option since it includes timer recycling as well, so it would cover most (if not all) of your timer needs

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Yes, recycling is the word of the day. In these days we recycle everything ( it saves the environment btw )

Recycle at least all your timers, groups and dummy units.

GroupUtils and TimerUtils both have functions for recycling.

PUI is great in many cases, but it really depends on your map. For example, if you are going to make an AoS, you should rather do something like that Moyacks UnitRecycler & DamageDetection thingy, so you dont have to recycle indexes.

If you like Caster Systems, you should check Vexorians xe -system.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.