New Spell Contest!

Would You Participate?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> I've yet to understand why so many people don't learn JASS.
Indeed. Most of them seem to be scared or something "OMG its just text, I don't understand this, wtf call KillUnit(udg_myunit) does???"
So they conclude that there are special people out there who are born to be able to learn Jass and they figure that they aren't one of them. This is all just plain nonsense, everyone and anyone can learn Jass, but obviously the hard part is to start.

> It only takes a productive five hours
:eek:
The syntax itself can be learned in less than half an hour, IMO. The API might take a lot more time, but Jass and programming in general isn't really about knowing the names and parameters of every possible function.

> WC3C is a far better place to make such a contest that here.
You see...this is exactly the kind of attitude that destroys the little of Jass community we have around.

Anyway back to the topic...
> who would participate if it was limited to JASS only?
To answer that you first have to find out how many of our members know Jass...a poll about that might be nice.

> how about if it needed to be more then 1 ability made?
I'd stick with 1, for now at least.

> how would a prize of a custom ability made by me as well as rep influence you to participate?
In my case not really, from obvious reasons (got enough rep and I can go for making abilities myself instead of bothering others). But some other people might find this interesting, though it doesn't seem like many pay attention at this part of your post.

Monovertex

Formerly Smith_S9
Reaction score
I don't care about the prize, I just want to remember how is to make a spell in Jass, without restarting some huge project :p.

Doom-Angel

Jass User (Just started using NewGen)
Reaction score
>My idea: Give 2 prices: 1 for best spell and 1 for best spellpack

thats kinda nice we can make two diff contests one for spellpack and one for 1 spell at the spellpack u only upload ur map with a small description on each skill (Small=No pics) and in the 1 spell u give full description with pics and the map contain it.
also i think Jass shouldn't be required becuz the quality of the skill isn't depended on if its Jass or not (of course Jass has less leaks but yet...) and i think it should be our choice if GUI or Jass and the users already will decide which spell they liked the most...
about the rewards i think that rep is good enough (what else can they give u?) and besides we do it for the fun and if ppl are not happy with that they can **** off (Censored :p)

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> But still, you can't take away my rights for a contest just because I don't use JASS.
Huh? If the contest starter says that its Jass only then you simply can't participate if you submit a spell that isn't Jass.

> This is an ability contest, not a triggering contest.
Actually this isn't a contest at all, just a discussion topic.

Perhaps there should indeed be two rewards as suggested in the post above...
One for the best idea and one for the best coding. Of course this wouldn't mean that simply putting a single line of Jass should count as good coding.
Or one for the best Jass spell and one for the best GUI spell.

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
ok well holy hell this has to be the fastest growing topic ever, someone should look it up for me...4 pages in what...half a day?

anyhow

for any idea of why GUI is retarded, read any post by SFilip, Rinpun or Smith_S9

I was one of those people who started with GUI, and for months slaved over it, and really didnt know much of what I was doing, then prolly after like 6-8 months or so I finally really got it

then decided, well all this cool stuff is made in JASS, and I cant do it, so why not learn JASS

took me about a week to learn JASS as well as I had previously knew GUI, then over the next year or so, however long it has been since then, I have continued to learn more and more with JASS, because there is simply so many more things you can do so much better

so anyhow, let that be a lesson to you from someone who has been there, in any case

just discuss here guys, no flaming, just thoughts, THIS IS NOT A CONTEST, it's a place to talk about an upcoming one I may host

from what I have seen, there are atleast 6-8 ppl who would do a JASS only, and prolly more past that who may join in.....(Ace....)

anyhow, regardless of what I make it, when I make it, if I make it, I am sure we will have a good time :)

-out

But still, you can't take away my rights for a contest just because I don't use JASS.
LOL, your rights to a contest???? roflmao, now that is a horse of a different color

Tom Jones

N/A
Reaction score
I can see a problem by making it jass only. Those unlucky people who don't know jass will get wrongly offended. However by not demanding jass coding, we'll encourage people to keep using GUI. It's a double egded sword, but as I see it:
It's a perfect opportunity for people to start learning jass, even though the method may be harsh. Think of it as the French Revolution: The goal justifies the means.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
French Revolution had the wrong means. It could've been done less violently to achieve the goal. :D

Anyway, emjlr3, how many spells are you considering to ask for in this latest contest?

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
I would join, if I got motivated enough.
Only thing that bothers me is that all those awesome JASS coders could come and it would be "No Contest".
Would we be allowed to use Jass Shop Pro or Jass Craft?

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> Would we be allowed to use Jass Shop Pro or Jass Craft?
I don't see why not...they are simply editors, one can't know if you used those anyway.

Better question: would we be allowed to use JassHelper?

Corleone

Reaction score
Actually, JASS is very easy, indeed. I just couldn't be bothered with memorizing the functions, but since I should learn it some day anyway, I might aswell do it now.

OMG its just text, I don't understand this, wtf call KillUnit(udg_myunit) does???

lmao!

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
wow ace went through and owned my thread heh

anyhow

hmm...1 spell maybe

jasscraft, thats what I use, y not

jasshelper, i really dont see the point in using it in general but sure...seems to be the wave of the future

remeber.....if I make said contest

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> What's JassHelper?
Useful Tools topic...

Monovertex

Formerly Smith_S9
Reaction score
So, should we expect a contest or not, emjlr3?

And after I asked that, I looked in the Tools topic, but haven't seen that tool... meh, should've missed it.

Tonks

Reaction score
I would enter, either way. If it's JASS-Only, I still haven't learned JASS, so I'd just convert my GUI triggers.
The only reason I would not enter is if the theme did not fit my fancy. I suggest a humor theme.

No, I'm not going to argue for GUI, because yes, JASS > GUI, if you require it. However, I'm not inclined to learn JASS as I have no ultimate need for it. So far I've been able to accomplish everything I've wanted to with the RoC GUI. Previously, I would not have been able to enter, as RoC GUI doesn't support Spell events. :rolleyes:
But, I just acquired TFT editor and can now create said spells, rather than just editing Blizzard spells.

>So, should we espect a contest or not, emjlr3?

Indeed, shall we be expecting one? I was going to test my aptitude with it anyways, this would be a nice excuse.

And tell us the theme :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +1
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.