Gaming Nintendo's Revolution Controller Finally Revealed

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
The entire industry has been clamoring for a taste of Nintendo's so-called next-generation 'revolution.' So have we. Every time Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has opened his mouth, he underscored time and time again Nintendo would not be following the traditional path of a new console. Rumors have persisted for weeks about touch screens, gyroscope functions, virtual headsets, and everything else under the sun.

Nintendo always emphasized they weren't following Sony and Microsoft, and boy, they weren't kidding. Nintendo decided Tokyo Game Show (an event the company typically forgoes in favor of Space World) was the right time to sit down with select members of the press and unveil their vision of gaming's future. And guess what? We were there.

We've seen the Revolution, touched and played with its radically different take on the game controller, talked with visionary designer Shigeru Miyamoto about the reasoning behind Nintendo's new approach and we're back with our lengthy, hands-on impressions.

Last edited:

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Damn thing looks like a TV remote! It'd be better if they turned it side-ways, but had the same sleek design. That way it'd be wide instead of tall, with the buttons not even moving.

Hell, that's how people are probably going to wind up using it, lol! People tend to stick to DECADE OLD HABITS! -.-

Sargon

Reaction score
Whoooooooa.

I want one.

Rad

Reaction score
:O finally something my parents can play, no hard-to-hold controller...

SERIOUSLY NINTENDO WTF ARE YOU DOING TO URSELF

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the controller's meant to turn sideways and play like a traditional one, as well as the remote style for first person shooters/aiming games.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
No...allow me to explain :p

The REMOTE is supposed to slide in to a Wavebirdish controller SHELL. Don't like the point and attempt to press the weird buttons? Go the usual style and just push it into a controller :D

Now the only problem is that the physics of the Remote are a bit rough. If you know as much as I know (which is little, but enough to form a conclusion on ideas :D) about hitting signals into TVs, it's going to be VERY TOUGH. You see....

They'd probably go with Infared, but the state of beamed light is so weak that if someone through even the smallest piece of crap past your remote when you pointed, your signal would be blocked and unaccounted for. Suddenly running in front of the TV became more hazardous. Not to mention it's not 100% accurate. Play Time Crisis (which uses WIRED gun controllers) and you'll see that not only do you have to sync your gun every time you play, but it takes a while to follow your controller around and won't be 100% on the mark.

Lasers are accurate. However, they're also blinding to everyone who gets it in the eye. No lasers.

Radio Waves wouldn't work either. Get past the hand and suddenly your pointed location jolted a bit to the right, not to mention it's impossible to tell a direct target from radio waves...because they aren't directed.

But I do say, it'd rock if they could make it work sleekly. If they use sensors of sorts (which would be a bit more expensive, sadly) instead of using something that plugs into the TV (though that thoroughly sucks, it is cheap to do), you'd eliminate all sorts of problems. I'm sure that the blocking hand will be a constant problem though until someone can come up with a miraculous signal that can pass through anything or spend more money mounting sensors to the far left and right and on the ceiling above the player to sense for signals before they disappear and use software to trace it to the network of sensors surrounding the TV.

(I'm looking forward to the twin sword (you can use twin remotes, I'm pretty sure) fights)

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah but Nintendo is king of the kids and kids say buy me..... no matter how expensive it is.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.