Nuon has been added to MAME

willcap

Reaction score
Was perusing the Mamedev page and came across an interesting development.

Checking Guru's website, he has a write up on the process of dumping a N501 along with the various controller types that were possible with the device:

Thoughts on having Nuon added to Mame?

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Anything that advances an emulator for NUON I am a fan of. I do not know how much dumping one player is going to do considering there are multiple other NUON models and different chips in some of them.

cubanismo

You may change this now in User CP
Reaction score
Interesting thing of note on The Guru's post are the images showing interesting strings in the BIOS dump. One interesting thing they contain appears to be a list of controller types. There are a lot of them. I'm curious if the ordering of this list corresponds to known values you can derive from the various ways you can strap the Polyface chip. E.g., does a Logitech's controller ID packet match up with a corresponding-looking entry in the BIOS table. If so, it might make it easier to reverse engineer how to build alternate controller types once basic controller reverse engineering is done. @songbird, @Wire, have you seen these?

Frustrating part, but also possibly the best part: Either the last string in that table or the first string after it is "dev/tty0", which would almost certainly refer to the serial adapter if it's part of that table. If it's part of the table, it would almost certainly indicate at least some level of support for a serial adapter in the N501's retail BIOS, which gives me hope.

Wire

Controller slave
Reaction score
Still trying to decipher the traces. Right now I am just trying to put together a replay from the real controller and see if I can get past the hang I am currently seeing. With the emulator in at boot the system hangs before the Samsung screen. If I boot up to the controller diags then plug in the system sees a controller (good news) but then stops updating any data from that port even if I swap in a real controller. More work to be done.

cubanismo

You may change this now in User CP
Reaction score
but then stops updating any data from that port even if I swap in a real controller. More work to be done.
Does that also happen if you boot up with the real controller then unplug it and plug it back in though? I've not had great luck hotplugging controllers at all. Most games just hang or stop accepting input if I try any sort of hotplugging.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice, also sharing the controller schematics

nuoncontrollerschematics.png

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
This button press accomplishment here means we got it! Look for somewhere in 2023 hopefully 1st quarter but that is way too hopefull

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.