Opinions On This TD Idea, +rep For Feedback

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
Okay, so.
I'm making a TD and was thinking of ways to make it more unique and that and came up with this idea.

Creeps:
Instead of creeps having life and dying when they reach zero life, creeps use there mana as life pretty much.
All creeps have an active mana shield [turn the art off so there's not blue balls of shield running everywhere] and they have like, 1hp, so when the mana shield is gone they die pretty much instantly.

Creeps will have natural mana regeneration, which will be low at first waves, and higher in end waves. [Maybe like, 1 mana per 5 seconds in first waves, but by end 2MP/sec, etc]

Special Waves:
  • Regeneration Waves: Creeps regenerate mana faster then normal waves [probably twice as fast as previous wave]
  • Healing Waves: Creeps would have a mana heal [casts a spell which heals themselves for 50 mana, for example]
  • Intelligent Waves: Creeps would have a bigger mana pool then normal waves.
  • Boss Waves: A lot more mana and regen. Kill them, get bonus gold. don't kill them, don't worry about it.
  • Dispel Waves: They have a chance to evade an attack. I might make them have a chance to regain mana when they are attacked.
  • Achievement Waves: A very easy wave with low gold reward for achieving certain things.
  • Packed Waves: Has more creeps, probably x1.25 - x2 as much.

Towers:
Towers will have there normal attacks, and in addition, will have spells that burn mana.
An example spell would be:
Name: Mana Imbalance
Effect: Causes a rupture in the towers mana pool, causing it to let off an explosion burning X mana of all enemies in a 250 AoE.

Another idea is that a tower will use mana on every attack, but have a chance to critical strike.
When it crits, it recharges its mana.
If the tower reaches 0 mana, it starts to recharge, but cannot attack until it's full again.

These are some ideas I've had so far, give me your constructive feedback, and I'll +rep you for it.
Give me "rofl noob idea", "your an idiot", etc, and you will receive -rep from me.

Thanks in advance TH.net!

ZeroThirteen

Reaction score
It sounds like it could be a little more interesting than a TD based around life, but at the same time, you can do all of that using life.

However, if you were to have towers that damaged mana and then separate towers which dealt damage to life (higher life, like 5, for tough enemies, and life towers deal somewhere between 1-3 damage to life) to kill off enemies when mana towers reduce their mana, meaning that life towers are placed at the end of the path, it could stand out and add a new element to TDs (no pun intended).

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
Very, very nice idea ZeroThirteen.
I will definitely be using this!
+rep and credit in the map when it's completed.

Daicos

Reaction score
i like the sound of it very unique... you could think up a lot of different types of towers with this... hmmm.... i like it...yes...yes...
keep me posted or pm me if u would like some help! cause i love helping

The Undaddy

Creating with the power of rage
Reaction score
I believe this is nothing but switching the hitpoints bar with the mana pool.The idea by itself is nothing that is different from using the regular hit points.Though you said "These are some ideas I've had so far", do you have other ideas that actually can make a difference?

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Daicos.
I will be sure to keep you updated on it's progress.
You can send me a PM if you want listing what you know how to do/can help with and the like.
+rep to you :) !

@The Undaddy: I will be using ZeroThirteen's idea, which is cool also. Also, all TD's [that I know] use HP, so using MP would be a cool little change I think.
Thanks for your feedback nonetheless, +rep to you.
Also, as for now, those are the ideas I have, although when I get to the actual making idea phase, I can easily come up with more differentiating things.

EDIT: Can't give anymore rep to anyone, but I will write you down and give it to you when possible, keep the feedback coming!

Pharaoh_

The epic journey will soon begin... Prepare!
Reaction score
Well, if you set the Mana Shield to absorb 0% damage, will the mana still be reduced when taking damage?
Also, i would prefer that if a tower lands a critical, to lose a higher amount of mana instead, not recharge. In order to recharge a tower, it should make the last hit, so it will recharge it for like 30%. Also, add an upgrade that will cost lower mana per attack and an upgrade that, when you press an ability of a building (the building will have abilities to make different things in the base at once), all units of the player will not lose mana for the rest seconds until the effect finishes. I like the creeps idea with higher regeneration.
Know that, if you add mana burn on towers, it will actually be like a bonus attack damage ability for them, because when attacking, it will cause reduction to mana, so +mana burn = burn more mana!
You could also make wisps as creep waves that are very rare to spawn every 15 seconds (even if creeps should not spawn at that time) that will be so magical, that mana will be set to 99999. So, it will be as if they are invulnerable, or can resist too much damage. Add an expiration timer to them. In order for them to be spawned (with a chance), an upgrade should be used, accessible from your main Necropolis for example. - But will cost too much gold!
Also, in the building i mentioned before that if you click one of its abilities, one effect will immediately take place, you could also add "Sink the City" (example name), so, city is temporarily hidden (Pick up every unit of Player X (XXXXXX) and somehow Hide it), which will result a greater mana regeneration for some seconds, so that you instantly heal both buildings AND units. Imbalanced? Well, you could say that if a city is in this state, temporarily stop training stuff and recource development.
If you want it, i can give you more ideas :I

Evoroth

Reaction score
I believe this is nothing but switching the hitpoints bar with the mana pool.The idea by itself is nothing that is different from using the regular hit points.Though you said "These are some ideas I've had so far", do you have other ideas that actually can make a difference?

I have to agree with you. The only thing that actually changes, is that you can't see the units mana when you hold the cursor over them or press Alt. And I don't understand how that would make new interesting gameplay.

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
Also, i would prefer that if a tower lands a critical, to lose a higher amount of mana instead, not recharge.
The critical strike / mana on every attack is only for one tower, not all.

In order to recharge a tower, it should make the last hit, so it will recharge it for like 30%.
Again, not all towers use mana per attack, only the one.[/quote]

Also, add an upgrade that will cost lower mana per attack
This could definitely be an upgrade on the mana-per-attack building, thanks!

and an upgrade that, when you press an ability of a building (the building will have abilities to make different things in the base at once), all units of the player will not lose mana for the rest seconds until the effect finishes.
A nice skill for sure, thanks!

I like the creeps idea with higher regeneration.
Thank you! There will be more 'special' waves then the ones listed.

Know that, if you add mana burn on towers, it will actually be like a bonus attack damage ability for them, because when attacking, it will cause reduction to mana, so +mana burn = burn more mana!
I forgot that Mana Shield is already like a Mana Burn, thanks for pointing that out!
Maybe I'll make some towers have mana burn so they burn double!
I will edit the first post and add that in.

You could also make wisps as creep waves that are very rare to spawn every 15 seconds (even if creeps should not spawn at that time) that will be so magical, that mana will be set to 99999. So, it will be as if they are invulnerable, or last too much damage. Add an expiration timer to them. In order for them to be spawned (with a chance), an upgrade should be used, accessible from your main Necropolis for example.
Could you explain this more?

Also, in the building i mentioned before that if you click one of its abilities, one effect will immediately take place, you could also add "Sink the City" (example name), so, city is temporarily hidden (Pick up every unit of Player X (XXXXXX) and somehow Hide it), which will result a greater mana regeneration for some seconds, so that you instantly heal both buildings AND units. Imbalanced? Well, you could say that if a city is in this state, temporarily stop training stuff and recource development.
Eh, don't really like that idea :p .
I might use something like it, but edited a lot.

If you want it, i can give you more ideas :I
Sure, ideas are welcomed for sure.
+rep to you, thanks for all the feedback!

I have to agree with you. The only thing that actually changes, is that you can't see the units mana when you hold the cursor over them or press Alt. And I don't understand how that would make new interesting gameplay.
I can use triggers to display overhead bars or mana.

13lade619 said:
hmm.. so this td will focus on spellcasting then?
maybe you can call it wizard td..
Thanks for feedback!
I will be coming up with names when it's nearer completion though :).
+rep for you anyways!

Pharaoh_

Reaction score
You could also make wisps as creep waves that are very rare to spawn every 15 seconds (even if creeps should not spawn at that time) that will be so magical, that mana will be set to 99999. So, it will be as if they are invulnerable, or last too much damage. Add an expiration timer to them. In order for them to be spawned (with a chance), an upgrade should be used, accessible from your main Necropolis for example.

Could you explain this more?

Well, it will be a special "type" of creeps. Every 15 seconds let's say, there will be a 30% chance to spawn waves of 3 wisps. A wisp will have 9999 mana, so, it will actually stand a lot of damage, if someone attacks it (cause of its high amount of mana). So, when a unit let's say with 30 mana would be killed with 3 hits, this wisp will stand longer, but for balance, it will spawn with a 30% chance and will last for 20 seconds. (Numbers are changeable)

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
Wouldn't that just mean auto-loss of 3 lifes though :p ?

EDIT: I could make the "Wisps" a boss level, with something more like 1000 mana and if they die, you get some bonus gold, but if you don't kill them, you don't loose lives.

Pharaoh_

Reaction score
Or make it that it won't give you gold, but start an AI-based new town for you? :) So that you will have more recources? Or when it dies, heal all the units in the area by the 30% of its original mana?

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
AI-based town :nuts: :p .
I'm thinking of making them a boss wave, PM me with an explanation on the AI-town or whatever though if you really think it's a good idea!

Daicos

Reaction score
hey wolfie here is wat i did... its very quick tho... and kinda scrappy... plus i already started it befor u pm'ed me

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
Can't edit last post :( .
Anwyays,
Updated first post;
+Rep to everyone who didn't get it first day around.

jonadrian619

-___-
Reaction score
This TD sounds cool I guess. Some more waves would be helpful.

Invisible Waves - invisible creeps. Also make towers that detect invisible units and notify players maybe 2 waves away before the Invisible Wave starts.
Speed Waves - They're fast and furious.
Retro Waves - Their mana is always on top. The only way to destroy them is to affect their life. Since all creeps got mana shield make a trigger that reduces their life.. or something like that

One good idea for towers, items for Towers in which Peasant-type units can buy (but cannot use) and give them to towers. (dont give items like Tome of int/str/agi or items for heroes, the game will crash!)

Thats all what I can say. Good luck and have fun!

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
This TD sounds cool I guess. Some more waves would be helpful.
There will definitely be more waves, don't worry.

Invisible Waves - invisible creeps. Also make towers that detect invisible units and notify players maybe 2 waves away before the Invisible Wave starts.
Speed Waves - They're fast and furious.
Retro Waves - Their mana is always on top. The only way to destroy them is to affect their life. Since all creeps got mana shield make a trigger that reduces their life.. or something like that
Invisible sounds sort of...make-me-wanna-quit-the-game-ish :p .
Speed will obviously be one [I think every TD has a speed wave :D ]
And Retro, don't really know about this one.

One good idea for towers, items for Towers in which Peasant-type units can buy (but cannot use) and give them to towers. (dont give items like Tome of int/str/agi or items for heroes, the game will crash!)
Towers will have upgrades and that for sure.
Although, items that give certain things is a cool idea, I'll definitely think about it!

Thats all what I can say. Good luck and have fun!
Thanks, and thank you for your input, +rep when I can!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.