Order String for Channel

prismpirate

Reaction score
Quick question: I need to order my dummy to channel at a certain point. What is the order string for it in jass?

for example:

JASS:
call IssueTargetOrder(dummy, "thunderbolt", target)

Orders the unit to storm bolt a unit.

What is the channel equivalent of "thunderbolt"

prismpirate

Reaction score
Hmm, it exists only for immediate order. What if I want a unit to target a point?

Edit: Nevermind. I used a seperate spell to trigger it.

jwallstone

Reaction score
What do you mean it by "exists only for immediate order"? That channel set to a point or unit target doesn't recognize an orderstring?

Rainther

I guess I should write something of value here...
Reaction score
The abilities with channeling will channel when you order them. Simply ordering a modified transquility would make that unit start channeling and then you can make triggers around that.

jwallstone

Reaction score
I thought he was talking about the specific spell Channel. Regardless, I'd be interested in knowing since I'll probably use it soon:

How do you order a unit to cast the Channel spell? Do you change the OrderString and just use that string? Can I change the order string on any custom spell and order a unit to cast the custom spell by using the new order string?

Rainther

Reaction score
Why bother really? Just use the string found in the object editor to order unit to cast the ability. You can't change the string name to an other ability and bet that he won't try to use only one ability, cause he will use both.

jwallstone

Reaction score
Why bother really?
Uhh, it's pretty much necessary if you have more than one triggered ability on a unit based off Channel. Otherwise there's no way to get the unit to cast them individually.

Rainther

Reaction score
Base one on Tranq, one of Starfall and so on. Modify them to be worthless and trigger the effect.
Or are you talking about something else?

prismpirate

Reaction score
I changed it to stampede. I switched my channel to point targetted, but apparently the dummy wasn't casting the spell even with order string 'channel'. I gave up in favour of using a point targeted spell.

Rainther

Reaction score
I don't get this with 'channel'. Why can't you use "Stampede"?

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
In addition to that, you don't really need to use the ID number to cast. Order the unit using string does the same.

Anyway, the important thing in Channel is the Base Order ID. The order of the ability is depending on Base Order ID NOT Order String (where it has "channel" as default).

Say for example, your Order ID is set to "thunderbolt", just order the unit to Storm Bolt (in GUI) or simply by the JASS line in Post#1. In this case, it doesn't matter whether it is Unit Target, Instant, or Point Target. Once the unit receives the 'thunderbolt' order, it will cast no matter what.

Which is why, it is never wise to use "attack", "stop", "holdposition", "smart" etc as Base Order ID for Channel abilities, for obvious reasons...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up WildTurkey?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Looks like Google fixed whatever mistake that made the recipes on the site go crazy and we are no longer trending towards a recipe site lol - I don't care though because it motivated me to spend alot of time on the site improving it and at least now the content people are looking at is not stupid and embarrassing like it was when I first got back into this like 5 years ago.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Plus - I have a pretty bad ass recipe collection now! That section of the site is 10 thousand times better than it was before
  • The Helper The Helper:
    We now have a web designer at my job. A legit talented professional! I am going to get him to redesign the site theme. It is time.
  • Varine Varine:
    I got one more day of community service and then I'm free from this nonsense! I polished a cop car today for a funeral or something I guess
  • Varine Varine:
    They also were digging threw old shit at the sheriff's office and I tried to get them to give me the old electronic stuff, but they said no. They can't give it to people because they might use it to impersonate a cop or break into their network or some shit? idk but it was a shame to see them take a whole bunch of radios and shit to get shredded and landfilled
  • The Helper The Helper:
    whatever at least you are free
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.