Pin wheeled or random

birdinabox

Reaction score
Hey guys, Im going to make a capture the flag map, but the main area between the bases will be a kind of maze.

However, should I make the design random? or pin wheeled so every 1/4th is the same?

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
if you want feedback on a map, post it in the wc3 members projects, and be more elaborate, vague questions get 0 answers

hopy

Reaction score
if you want feedback on a map, post it in the wc3 members projects, and be more elaborate, vague questions get 0 answers
:O
a) His map obviously isn't finished yet, at all. Since (based on his question) he still has to make atleast the central part of his map.
b) His question wasn't that hard to understand... :

"Hey guys, Im going to make a capture the flag map, and the central area between the 4 bases (which are located in the 4 corners of the map) will be a kind of maze.

Should I make the design of the maze random (random walls and such to make an interesting weird maze)? or pin wheeled so every 1/4th of the maze is the same (the maze consists of 4 parts, each identical, which will be copie pasted and look the exact same)?"

Personally I'd go for a 'pinweel' maze, for balance and time reasons. I assume, based on your short post, that 4 players start in a base in every corner of the map, and have to get the flag in the middle and take it to their own base? Or should they grab the flag from thier opponents bases? I'm not sure, since you didn't tell. However in such a map I think every path from base to the middle, and every base to another base should be the same. It'd be unfair if, for example, [player A] has to walk 15 seconds, and [player B] has to walk 20 seconds to reach the middle. Now this can be achieved in a randomized map, however it would take A LOT more work and time.

In a 'Pinweel' map every player has to run the same amount, and the same distances, and it saves you, the creator, a lot of time, since you'd only have to make one small maze, and copy-paste that 3 times.

Now this is only with my limited knowlage of the map, cause you didn't tell much about it. So please let me know if I got something wrong.

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
sorry i read it wrong, and i didnt say to submit his map for approval or anything, there is a looking for help part of the forum, generally when asking for feedback about a map itself it should be in that forum regardless of what is finished, most people when they start a project, with only a pic or 2 post there for support

if you can make a randomly generated maze algorithm that would be epic, if you cant, meh just go with the pinwheel
it would be more balanced with the pinwheel but randomly generated maze games are the shit

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.