Project Eternity (RPG)

Argentine

Reaction score
Project Eternity
Help -Needed-
Project Eternity is a completely unique single player RPG. We want our players to feel like they are playing a totally different game. The goal of the game is simple: To not have a true ending.

Although there is a deep and touching story here, there is also much interaction with the world. Mini-game type events, leading raids on enemy cities, becoming a traitor to your own faction and joining another, or starting your own, taking control of towns or cities (and having to keep control of them). This game can truly be of epic proportions and all easily without using World Editor mods (except maybe to eliminate the doodad limit :D )​

Features of the game currently include but are not limited to:

• A functional 3rd person camera system with arrow key camera rotation
  • Purchasable Houses in each town you visit.
  • Weapon and armor models which will 'attach' to the player's hero model when you obtain new gear.
  • Respawn/Revival system for creeps and Town Guards.
  • Gender/Race Chooser (Choose who you will be before you start the game)
  • The ability to attack the town guards or citizens, causing the guards all to become hostile to you and attack you. (Once a guard kills you, you will be reset to allied with them and you will be fined.)
Here are a few Screen shots of a small portion of unfinished terrain in the world of Project Eternity: note that the screen shots are taken in the World Editor and not in game. The in game camera is not yet finished being modified.
WC3ScrnShot_021610_063943_08bmp.jpg

WC3ScrnShot_021610_063639_06.jpg

WC3ScrnShot_021610_063556_05.jpg

WC3ScrnShot_021610_063435_03.jpg

Features Not yet Completed that I would like to see implemented into the game engine are:

• The mini-game/events I mentioned previously
  • Any sort of custom inventory system that would be possible without the use of any 3rd party programs that alter the World Editor
  • Game Caches: Moving from one map to the next and then even back again, saving all necessary information. (I want the player to be able to explore other parts of the world, go into a cave and have the game load a different map. This is feature is in the Warcraft 3 tutorial campaign with Rexxar - The Founding of Dorotar(spell check wants me to call it Dorothy)
  • Weapon and armor customization methods And many, many more features.
More game details (Hero Customization, Gear Customization and more... Explained)
In Project Eternity I want the hero's leveling experience to be fully customizable. The player will be able to choose which aspect of their hero to improve with skill points they earn from leveling up. (using lumber as skill points) The hero will begin with a small amount of skill points and begin with no spells or abilities and the player will be able to improve spells/abilities or attributes as they gain skill points. (more details later today)

Gear Customization
I want the player's gear to be as customizable a possible. There will be several styles of armor/clothing and weapons for the hero to choose from, but that's not all. I plan to use some kind of Runes that will be able to modify your weapons which will even be removable.

What will the Runes system do for you? It gives the player the ability to use different strategies when customizing their gear for battle.

With runes you can:
-change your attack type with certain runes (from normal to lightning, fire, water ect..)
-Learn spells through your runes
-Get special buffs/debuffs like mana or health regen
-Attach runes to weapons or armor
-Runes will have a different effect when attached to armor than to a weapon.
-And more

Here's where I tell you what I need help with.

To make it very clear I am looking for help from people who are willing to sign on for this project with the clear intention of becoming a "team member" and really focus and communicate with myself and each other about the project. It must be clear that no changes to other team member's content may be changed without strict permission from that team member. (Unless you had to fix a trigger of theirs to work properly with a trigger of yours and only if you know what you are doing.)

Another rule is ALWAYS save a backup version of a map before doing anything with it at all, and always, always save your work regularly (not over the backup file :p )

So here's a list of what I need for my Project Team: People who have extensive knowledge in:
  • Triggering -
    1.)Cinematic and Quest Triggers. (to follow a very specific story line I have written)
    2.)Camera triggers.
    3.)Game-cache and moving from one map to another and back.
  • Modeler - I could use, but don't need, better and more variety of unarmed (weaponless) and almost armor-less unit models with no hero glow of any kind. I need proper attachment points on these models, i need male and female models of a few different races and I need melee and ranged attack animations for said models.

(Thanks, that is all for now and please reply or send a PM if you would like to join me for Project Eternity, where we hope to make a beautiful interactive world where a player can truly create their own environment and continue to play in the same world as long as they like.)
I will edit this post whenever for information is available so please check back often.

Progress:
Terraining (11%) <- I will do all the terraining myself.
Triggering (7%) <- I am very capable of most game-play style triggering. See above for what I need help with.
Modeling (68%) <- I have most of the models I need and have already tested that they work in another map. I will upload the remaining models when I create the rest of the in game items to which the models correspond.

If you have more ideas for any of the features above, or ideas for features you think would be great in an RPG then please post them.

meOme

Reaction score
Sounds promising, but a project of such proportions will need much work to get completed (and good ^^). Good luck for that. :thup:

Some infos about the hero(es) and his/her/their customization possibilities would be nice.
And, since you have some terrain allready, some screenshots of what we have to expect would be much appreciated. :D

Argentine

Reaction score
Some infos about the hero(es) and his/her/their customization possibilities would be nice.
And, since you have some terrain allready, some screenshots of what we have to expect would be much appreciated. :D

I will post screen shots and additional information about heroes throughout this week.

Argentine

Reaction score
*bump* more information has been added. Hero customization options explained. (See original post)

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
the screenshots are showing a litte lack in terraining. i believe the style you want to give to the rpg wont fit with the camera behind the character, it will look rather aweful. i would advice you to dl some good custom models.

more over i will tell you that your chances to find a skilled member with enough time and endurance to help you with your project are rather small. you should better try it yourself and post the results here to get comments how to improve your work.

Argentine

Reaction score
The terraining states it is unfinished. I'm sure you didn't read anything I wrote besides "terrain screen shots" anyways. Thanks for the utterly useless reply (i.e. thanks flaming my map project). It's obvious that you couldn't possibly tell how the game would look in third person whatsoever from any of these screen shots, nor is the map even finished enough for me to consider touching up the terrain to "fit" to the game camera style yet. This game will probably not be complete until the middle of 2011. Also I've already received a ton of help from members thanks to this post.

Edit: I also already have and plan to use more custom models.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
i am sorry if my post offended you, i am trying to give constructive criticism.

first of all i tell you i did read your description. and even if the terrain screenshots are still of unfinished work i guess the style of yours will stay the seem until the end.
what i see is alot of standart wc3 style. standart houses, standart trees, standart cliffs, and out of experience i know that these things, although they might fit to standart wc3 maps, will not look good for 3rd person RPG cameras.

i myself made a game with a 3rd person camera and such once as well. it took me some time to realize how to make the terrain still look good in combination with the camera.

and btw, relax, we are not here to tear each other apart but to help with constructive criticism.

Argentine

Reaction score
Your post has given me plenty to think about and to consider but it could have been more carefully worded. I will surely set out to make the game look better once all of the "game engine", quests and other triggers and the basic terrain is all complete. I also have about 200 custom item models i will have to import. This map will probably not be finished until february 2011 or later.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
btw, for one of my campaign RPG projects a while ago i made a, more or less, decent inventory system.

Hm, i played around with my old triggers and figured out how to rewrite them for a little demo map.
if you like the system use it in any way you like. my project wasnt going to be completed anyday anyways.

how it works:
i use dummy hero units as bags. they are spawned far outside the map so they wont stand in your way.
as heroes, these bag dummys got the hero interface icons on the left side.
if you want to put an item into your bag simply rightclick it and leftclick the hero button on the left side (you have to set the gameplay constants for item giving range to a very high value!).
if you click one of the hero buttons all items of your heroes inventory and the bag will be switched.
the amount of items stored in each bag is shown as the mana-bar beneath the hero button and as the number which shows how many skillpoints the hero has left.

Argentine

Reaction score
This type of bag system is very reliant on changing the game play constant for item giving range. I appreciate the offer but I'm affraid this system could be abused by the player. There are also houses with extra storage space. The player would be able to put items in their houses' inventory from across the screen.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
to put the item into that house he would have to leftclick it therefor he would be in a range less then 2000 to that house. not that much of a problem i guess.

but as i said, the system itself was made for my own campaign RPG long ago, therefor it might not fit to yours.

Argentine

Reaction score
I think the player would figure out to set their house to a unit group to put items in it from across the board that way. I want an inventory system like the one in Diablo 3 Warcraft

Jaujarahje

I have now changed this in the User CP
Reaction score
Maybe have an option to have the normal cam used in wc3.
I for one hate most custom cameras and prefer to use the standard one in wc3, with maybe some options just to zoom in or out. I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I refuse to play games that have 3rd person custom views and such

Argentine

Reaction score
Maybe have an option to have the normal cam used in wc3.
I for one hate most custom cameras and prefer to use the standard one in wc3, with maybe some options just to zoom in or out. I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I refuse to play games that have 3rd person custom views and such

So you wouldn't play Fable or Fable 2? Or most other console games?

The problem with this idea is simple: The game world will be terrained solely for 3rd person camera views. The normal Wc3 view would cause you to beable to A. see things you shouldnt beable to see yet, and B. not be able to see anything at all at times.

Jaujarahje

I have now changed this in the User CP
Reaction score
I have played those games, but those are on the consoles, not wc3. I just don't like the custom cameras (Like Eclipse ORPG i think its called) in wc3.

Argentine

Reaction score
This game is being designed to emulate console type RPGs (though fable TLC is a console game that was adapted for PC)

Before the completion of Project Eternity you will notice that it will be compatable to play easily with any console style PC controllers (like those xbox or PS2 style controllers they make USB for use in computer games) Even though Project Eternity will be just as easy to play using the keyboard, if not easier, there will be some way of switching the arrows between moving the hero and moving the camera (by chat command).

Remember that I do not expect this game to be finished for over a year, if not two or more.

Point and case, there will be no way of using the regular WC3 camera for this RPG at any point due solely to the fact that WC3 style camera would reveal too much and too little, depending on where you are.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • WildTurkey WildTurkey:
    is there a stephen green in the house?
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up WildTurkey?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Looks like Google fixed whatever mistake that made the recipes on the site go crazy and we are no longer trending towards a recipe site lol - I don't care though because it motivated me to spend alot of time on the site improving it and at least now the content people are looking at is not stupid and embarrassing like it was when I first got back into this like 5 years ago.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Plus - I have a pretty bad ass recipe collection now! That section of the site is 10 thousand times better than it was before
  • The Helper The Helper:
    We now have a web designer at my job. A legit talented professional! I am going to get him to redesign the site theme. It is time.
  • Varine Varine:
    I got one more day of community service and then I'm free from this nonsense! I polished a cop car today for a funeral or something I guess
  • Varine Varine:
    They also were digging threw old shit at the sheriff's office and I tried to get them to give me the old electronic stuff, but they said no. They can't give it to people because they might use it to impersonate a cop or break into their network or some shit? idk but it was a shame to see them take a whole bunch of radios and shit to get shredded and landfilled
  • The Helper The Helper:
    whatever at least you are free
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.