Ram Speed Question

Samuraid

Advisor
Reaction score
Interesting...I googled it and came across this article.

http://www.vistaclues.com/reader-question-maximum-memory-in-32-bit-windows-vista/

So if i am reading this right, i might end up with 2.5, or 3?

Running 32 bit ultimate btw

Another question, would my system handle a 64 bit OS? what the requirements?
You would end up with less than 4GB of RAM addressable by the operating system.

And yes, your system would support a 64-bit operating system. Whether or not you really need so much RAM is another question. If you are gaming and generally multitasking the usual set of applications, you will likely never even reach a 4GB maximum.

If you are doing 3D graphics, large-scale audio and music software, databases, virtual machines, or something similar then 8GB would be a lot more useful.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
your system should be able to run a 64 bit system.. the hardware requirements aren't any different, it just needs a semi-modern CPU, but a 2 year old computer should be fine

i was stuck at 3.2 gb of ram b4 i upgraded to an x64 system

Verrak

Reaction score
Ok good to know,
If I go for just 4MB of ram, is thier any diffrence if i get 4x1GB sticks, or 2x2GB sticks. My computer has 4 RAM slots. Is thier any benfit to doing one option over the other? or is price the only thing i should worry about

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
first of all, i hope you mean gb and not mb, 2nd, it's usually more power-efficient to go 2x2, but that really applies more to laptops where it actually matters, also some motherboards claim speeds like 1600 mhz and 4 slots, but only 2 of the slots are actually capable of 1600 mhz, but both are rather minor reasons to go 2x2

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It may be worth mentioning that you've got an extra two slots for future upgrades if you go 2x2.
Though that's only noteworthy if you plan on going 64bit, or using that computer for a long time (until the next Windows comes out). :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.