World Religious police break hearts in Saudi Arabia

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (AP) - Just days before Valentine's Day, a young Saudi woman desperately searched for a red teddy bear to buy for her boyfriend. But all Nof Faisal could find were blue and white ones, minus the "I love you" she wanted hers to declare.

It's not because the store couldn't keep up with demand. It is because fear of the religious police forced the store's owner to strip the shelves of all red items, including the hottest-selling item: heart-festooned red plastic handcuffs inscribed, "Take me, I'm yours."

As Feb. 14 approaches, the police begin inspecting gift shops for items that are red or are intended as gifts to mark the holiday—a celebration of St. Valentine, a 3rd century Christian martyr—which is banned in Saudi Arabia. Such items are legal at other times of the year, but as Valentine's Day nears they become contraband.

At best, shops caught selling Valentine's gifts are ordered to get rid of them. Some salesmen have been detained for days.

More.

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
Sigh. It's not like Valentine's Day is truly religious (I don't think), it just seems to be named after the saint. The way I see it, Valentine's Day is the holiday for which we hand eachother cheap cards and candy.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Sigh. It's not like Valentine's Day is truly religious (I don't think), it just seems to be named after the saint. The way I see it, Valentine's Day is the holiday for which we hand eachother cheap cards and candy.
Valentine's day really isn't religious (except that it celebrates the Christain martyr, as stated in the article), it's just that it is a Western tradition, and I suppose such religious countries see it as a corrupting influence.

Jolly chap*

Reaction score
I don't know if Valentine's Day is truly religious. I don't know if my Church celebrates the day as a special religious occasion. We might honour the saint, but not the day, I guess.

Those folks in Saudi Arabia need to lighten up a bit. It's not as if red teddy bears are going to convert people out of Islam.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.