US News Rita's top winds strengthen to 105 mph

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
MIAMI (CNN) -- Hurricane Rita has strengthened into a powerful Category 2 storm with 105 mph winds, the National Hurricane Center reported late Tuesday.

Additional strengthening is expected over the next 24 hours, and forecasters said the storm could be a Category 4 storm by Wednesday afternoon, churning through the Gulf of Mexico with top sustained winds of 131 to 155 mph.

At 8 p.m. ET, the eye of the storm was about 65 miles west-southwest of Key West, Fla., and about 75 miles north of Havana, Cuba.

Rita was moving toward the west near 12 mph, a path it is expected to follow over the next day, according to the NHC.

It is currently forecast to make landfall late Friday or early Saturday around Galveston, Texas. (Posted 8:16 p.m.)

More

Galveston mayor declares state of emergency ahead of Rita

GALVESTON, Texas (CNN) -- Galveston Mayor Lyda Ann Thomas on Tuesday night declared a state of emergency and ordered mandatory evacuations of nursing homes and assisted living facilities starting at 6 a.m. Wednesday, in preparation for a possible strike by Hurricane Rita.

She also said mandatory evacuations of other parts of the city would begin at 6 p.m. Wednesday. (Posted 7:08 p.m)

source

--------------------------
I live in Houston and if it lands where they say and is a category 4 there might be some trouble in thehelperville

Last edited:
F

-fool-

SUX2BU

jk ;)

-=Two things:

A, that was incredibly annoying...
B, that's not very nice.

-Alexander=-​

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Its funny because all the women and children are evacuating but the men are staying. I have a few friends who are under mandatory evacuation right now in Clear Lake and League City - in the Nasa Area.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Yeah, I heard Rita may hit Texas, and my first thought was "Conan and TH!"

Ya'll better be ready to haul ass if that thing hits you guys. :p We ain't losing the biggest forum dork, and the forum master! ;)

F

-fool-

th you got to stay home and represent your hood.

just becasue one little hurricane comes and your mom got scared doesnt mean you have to go live with your auntie and uncle in bel air.

DM Cross

Reaction score
-fool- said:
th you got to stay home and represent your hood.

just becasue one little hurricane comes and your mom got scared doesnt mean you have to go live with your auntie and uncle in bel air.

This disturbed me...

The Helper said:
Gonna ride it out.

Well then, here's to your safety *raises beer (shh, no one has to know I ain't 21 ;)

This one's to... Well... *Shrug* The hell of it :D *raises second beer!*

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
That kind of looting that happened in Louisiana won't happen here because everyone knows all the men are at there houses with there guns. If you run off your stuff gets ganked.

DM Cross

Reaction score
ROFL, is that why you'er staying? ... Eh, well, better coming then coming home to nothing...

Hey, does your ex/kids live in Houston, or anywhere nearby? Hope they got out, or at least have a plan.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
They are going to decide whether or not they are going evacuate to Austin tomorrow.

Myzteryz

It only does everything.
Reaction score
SD_Ryoko said:
...Don't be a dumbass and forget the can opener :D

AHA!

Thats just hilarious..

The sentence of the day!

+rep.. uhmm.. nvm -rep...

which one?! lol

does not matter... ahah...

well ill just do this..

AWESOME :thumsbup:!

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Sharpstown is about 80 miles inland, worst we'll get is high winds and flooding.

If power goes out and I can't play video games, I have my own makeshift joystick to play with. ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.