Ruins of Havoc [AoS]

Sessional

Reaction score
Ruins of Havoc
A 4 lane AoS, with Murloc vs Naga. Was planning on 128x128(edited) with Murloc on the left and then Naga on the right. Murloc would have the advantage of the higher ground, where as naga would be on the lower stuff. Was going to have a tavern with 12 heroes in it for each team.

The Murloc side of story:
The Naga have turned against their ancient enemies once again, only this time until extinction. The Murlocs must fight to keep hordes of Naga from wiping their prized race into extinction. It is your destiny as a Savior of Rohn to aid in the protection of your race and the frontier of the mainland, all life depends on it.

In this game you will enter a vast world of temple ruins and chaos, you must drive the Naga back before they have a foothold in the ancient lands of Rohn. As a Savior of Rohn it is your destiny, given to you by the ancient demigod, to fight the ancient enemy once again. You must prevail! You will be able to select your savior in an attempt to fight back against the hordes of Naga. Rohn will grant you with a valuable advantage, you must not allow his efforts to go to waste.

Fight through the map, which includes 8 ancient and ruined temples, 3 secret shops, and the ancient and never failing Dawn of Rohn.
-------

The Naga side of story
The Naga have turned against their ancient enemies once again, only this time until extinction. The Naga must fight for you ancient leader and wipe the Murlocs from the frontier of the mainland. It is your duty as a servant of Al'thasar to do his bidding. You must feast upon the fear and chaos of the mainland, and to do that you must succeed in fulfilling your master's great plan.

In this game you will enter a vast world of temple ruins and chaos, you must protect your foothold in the land of the Murlocs and do your masters bidding. As a servant of Al'thasar it is your duty to fight, no matter how overwhelming the odds. You can not fail. You will be able to select your servant in an attempt to protect your minor foothold from the constant raiding parties of the Murlocs. Al'thasar has neglected to do his part, and will leave you with a disadvantage throughout the game. You must work together to maneuver around this major obstacle.

Fight through the map which includes 8 ancient and ruined temples, 3 secret shops, and the ever dooming, Fire of Al'thasar.
-------

What I would like help with:
  • Terrain, Sunken Temple with 4 lanes, 8 Ruined Temples in it
  • Hero Ideas
  • Spell Ideas
  • Balancing

Any help would be great!

Void

Reaction score
I'm sorry for ranting on your post, but seriously!!! :banghead: AoS maps freaking suck! The only "decent" one is DotA, and that's the king of suck because everyone who plays it is an elitist asshole whether they'd like to admit it or not... There's about 10,000 AoS maps out there just make something original!
Again, sorry about the rant. Hopefully your AoS will be less sucky than others and perhaps be something different from the usual "OMG KILL TEH BASE!!!11" map. :p

Edit: I <3 Murlocs!!!

Sessional

Reaction score
True, I know that. This is more of a learning experience for creating custom spells and being able to test them in a game scenario. To be honest, I could care less if it sucks, I just want to have fun. :) I was also planning on having little quests/objectives in it, wasn't intended to completely obliterate the enemy.
And, don't worry about the rant, it's all good.

WindexGlow

Reaction score
Oh wow, haven't seen an attitude like that in along time. (which is both good and bad. It's good people have that attidude, but it's bad that I haven't seen one in along time)
People who have that kind of attitude produce fun and new maps (most of the time)
And don't judge a map on dota just because it's an AoS. From the looks of it, he might not even have played dota.
Best of luck for your map, I might test-play it.

Suggestion: Offline mode. While making heroes is probably beyond your skill (and most people's skill) you should have a trigger that checks how many players are playing. If you are the only one that's a human, than the other side gets a boost in units.

Actually, making a computer hero might not be too hard.
Just have it so it heads back to town when it's life/mana is low. Have it do a move/attack to the enemy side.
Have it buy items. Target heroes more. It might not actually be that hard.

2-P

I will work hard tomorrow
Reaction score
True, I know that. This is more of a learning experience for creating custom spells and being able to test them in a game scenario. To be honest, I could care less if it sucks, I just want to have fun. :)
That's the spirit. ^_^

If you draw a basic sketch of the map, I could do the terrain. The sketch should include the bases, lanes, temples, shops and other important stuff.

Sessional

Reaction score
>>Oh wow, haven't seen an attitude like that in along time. (which is both good and bad. It's good people have that attidude, but it's bad that I haven't seen one in along time)
>Uh oh, is it really that hard to find attitudes that are liked??? Oh well.

>>Suggestion: Offline mode. While making heroes is probably beyond your skill (and most people's skill) you should have a trigger that checks how many players are playing. If you are the only one that's a human, than the other side gets a boost in units.
>Suggestion taken, and will be added. I can make some heroes, but can't make any of the skills that I would really like to make.

>>Actually, making a computer hero might not be too hard.Just have it so it heads back to town when it's life/mana is low. Have it do a move/attack to the enemy side.Have it buy items. Target heroes more. It might not actually be that hard
>Simple, because I can't do much else, I've been making friends with the AI editor for 3 weeks. Started mapping 4 weeks ago.

Void

Reaction score
And, don't worry about the rant, it's all good.
Awesome. :p
I'll help a bit with the terrain I guess, but I don't have time to terrain another entire map.

If you draw a basic sketch of the map, I could do the terrain. The sketch should include the bases, lanes, temples, shops and other important stuff.
Damn it, why is it that 2-p always gets to it before me? :banghead:
Well, I'll help anyways.

Sessional

Reaction score
Well, I did a basic sketch in paint, but I can't seem to upload it to anything. So, just do 2 bases. Oh, oops! If you wouldn't mind make it 128x128 to add room for quest objectives. But basically bases are on the left and right, the right base should be a bit lower then the rest of the map, and then the left base should be higher. The lanes should be in between the height of the two bases if thats okay, and then half of the lane should have a slight level difference to give advantage a bit more to the murlocs.

Void

Reaction score
And about the quests, make sure their XP bonus keeps in time with the lanes because I hate AoS maps where when you leave the lanes for a second you are at an instant disadvantage to other players...

Well, I did a basic sketch in paint, but I can't seem to upload it to anything. So, just do 2 bases. Oh, oops! If you wouldn't mind make it 128x128 to add room for quest objectives. But basically bases are on the left and right, the right base should be a bit lower then the rest of the map, and then the left base should be higher. The lanes should be in between the height of the two bases if thats okay, and then half of the lane should have a slight level difference to give advantage a bit more to the murlocs.

You just make it an attachment to the post, you don't need to upload it.

Demi666

Reaction score
I'm sorry for ranting on your post, but seriously!!! :banghead: AoS maps freaking suck! The only "decent" one is DotA, and that's the king of suck because everyone who plays it is an elitist asshole whether they'd like to admit it or not... There's about 10,000 AoS maps out there just make something original!
Again, sorry about the rant. Hopefully your AoS will be less sucky than others and perhaps be something different from the usual "OMG KILL TEH BASE!!!11" map. :p

Edit: I <3 Murlocs!!!

i agree since dota came its almost useless to make maps <.< all just continue with dota no matter how good the maps are

Sessional

Reaction score
I was going to have the quests give Gold and XP bonuses to the whole team, and the XP boost for the quest finisher would be higher then that in which the lanes would give.

Void

Reaction score
Good.
So, for the third time (or was it second? can't be bothered to remember that stuff :p)
Can I do some terrain?

Sessional

Reaction score
Anyone that wants to help can, as long as you can work together. :p

map.jpg

Alright, there we go!

WindexGlow

Reaction score
Just google 'Free photo upload'
And you should get some links that require no registration, awsome for uploading a few pictures. Not the best load times, but they don't take hours.

And if you have any rivers in your map, it would be awsome to have a flash flood every so often, or the tide to go up. When this happens, units move slower or take damage if the flash flood is strong enough.
Tides/floods can disable certain routes.
After the water level goes down, there should be some new monsters there, with a very small chance to leave some items on the ground from the tide.

-Both sides should receive occasional (rare, but should happen at least 1 time every game or 2 games) large swarm of units, which could really change the tide of battles.

-Try to prevent base raping.

-Try to have alot of unique units.

Idea on how to balence:
Balencing should always be done on a seperate map.
Create a core unit, this unit should be an average powered unit, not the best but not the weakest.
Let's say each side spawns units every 30 seconds.
So now decide how many of that Core Unit spawn every 30 seconds on an average.

All units will be balenced agaisnt this core unit.

Now create 10 different lanes, each one being perfectly straight and pretty long. Each lane should be far enough from each other that the units inside each one will never ever effect each other.

Now when you create a new unit, and want it to be balenced:
-Think of how many spawn every 30 seconds. This will be the main factor of how they are balenced.
-Now create a trigger that creates X number of the Core unit at a certain side of the lanes (invidual on each side, I recommend alternating sides.
So Lane 1 spawns the core unit at the top and sends it to the bottem
Lane 2 spawns core unit at the bottem and sends it to the top.
Repeat)
Do the same for your new unit, changing how many spawn 30 seconds.
Make the trigger run every 30 seconds, sending those units agaisnt each other.

Now test the map. You naturally want 5 lanes to win to the Core Unit, and 5 lanes should win to the New Unit.
Once you get it close enough (4/6) or (5/5) wins, than repeat that test several more times and make sure THE AVERAGE WIN COUNT OF BOTH TEAMS ARE 5 LANE WINS AND 5 LANE LOSSES.
That should generally get your units faily balenced.

Things to watch out for: All units must use the same attack/defense type (peirce, small, ect)
Alternatly, you can go to gameplay constants and just make all attack/defense types take 1.00 damage.

Sessional

Reaction score
Alright, one thing with the flood is, I was planning on all units being able to swim in deep water because they are both sea units. I like the idea, and I will try my best to add that. Thanks for the ideas.
Terrainers: If you can make it look nice, try to add a winding river at about the middle going from top to bottom. Thanks!

2-P

I will work hard tomorrow
Reaction score
Damn it, why is it that 2-p always gets to it before me? :banghead:
Well, I'll help anyways.
Always?
If you want to do the terrain then go ahead, I resign. I'm too lazy right now anyway. ^^

Sessional

Reaction score
Lol, I tried to do a 32x32 terrain.. I failed miserably, please don't make me have to do it. Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.