UK News Schoolgirl's mouth taped shut by teacher for talking in class

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Elise Smith, 11, was made to sit with tape over her lips for about 15 minutes as a punishment during a lesson at William Allitt School in Newhall, Staffordshire.

A school has apologised after a teacher placed sticky tape over the mouth of an 11-year-old pupil for talking too much in class.

Elise Smith, 11, was made to sit with tape over her lips for about 15 minutes as a punishment during a lesson at William Allitt School in Newhall, Staffordshire.

Her father, Marc Smith, lodged a complaint with the school, the local education authority and Ofsted, the watchdog, but although school governors criticised the teacher's actions as “misguided”, no further disciplinary action was taken.

However, it is understood he has since apologised to the pupil and her family.

Mr Smith spoke out about the incident after the school was recently placed into special measures following a damning Ofsted inspection report.

That's so fucked up !

Last edited by a moderator:

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
Well, a teach's life is connected with a lot of frustration. Fuckin' brats these days just don't respect authorities anymore, because one can sue anyone for anything.
A good scare ought to teach them kids what it means to disrespect.

iPeez

Hot food far all world wide!
Reaction score
Well, a teach's life is connected with a lot of frustration. Fuckin' brats these days just don't respect authorities anymore, because one can sue anyone for anything.
A good teacher, taking over a whole new class, can do anything. It's about attitude and being a proper teacher. If that was the teachers end game solution, get a new job.

FireCat

Reaction score
Abuse of power; pure and simple !
Btw: What happened to sending the kid to the principals office ?
Well, It is not "up to the teacher to delegate or act on punishments"

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Why the fuck should they respect 'authorities'?

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
Why the fuck should they respect 'authorities'?

There are a few reasons why.
1: Why should kids go to school, if they don't have the desire to learn. If you're gonna attend school, you better conform to the teacher-student relationship, otherwise the environment doesn't work.
2: If you're gonnna break the rules and disturb the class, you're making it more difficult for those who are there to learn something. Nobody gives a fuck if you learn something, but taking away the opportunity for someone else to learn something isn't just
3: Nobody is going to punish/retailiate if your actions are within the teachers threshhold. Push the envelope and you're bound to get fucked

These 'authorities' have it hard enough trying to teach more than 20 people at once. If one would reduce the size of a class and actually give the students more time to move around and deplete their energy, teachers wouldn't resort to kneejerk reactions. For as long that doesn't happen, it goes without saying that respect for each other is the fundamental criteria for the student-teacher relationship to work.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Kids go to school because they are forced to. Dont force them and they will go there if they want to learn something.
If you force them you have no right to punish them if they act like they dont want to be there.

Varine

Reaction score
So why isn't the teacher respecting the children? They obviously have no interest in the class, and yet there is no effort to provide them an education that is stimulating enough for them to pay attention to. Which is the fault of the authority that you think we should respect.

Beside that, a teacher isn't an authority figure - they're supposed to be a mentor who incites their pupil's interest in education and helps them learn how use that education, and their failure to do that leads not only to such disruptions, but if actions like this are taken, you sure as fuck can bet that this particular child will grow up with significant problems with further 'authority'. Treat them like they matter, and they'll grow up knowing that they can do anything they put concentrated effort towards. Put tape over their mouths for talking, and you'll inspirit the idea that what they have to say isn't of consequence.

Last edited:

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
So why isn't the teacher respecting the children? They obviously have no interest in the class, and yet there is no effort to provide them an education that is stimulating enough for them to pay attention to. Which is the fault of the authority that you think we should respect.

Beside that, a teacher isn't an authority figure - they're supposed to be a mentor who incites their pupil's interest in education and helps them learn how use that education, and their failure to do that leads not only to such disruptions, but if actions like this are taken, you sure as fuck can bet that this particular child will grow up with significant problems with further 'authority'. Treat them like they matter, and they'll grow up knowing that they can do anything they put concentrated effort towards. Put tape over their mouths for talking, and you'll inspirit the idea that what they have to say isn't of consequence.

I hate to admit that you're correct on the inspirit aspect.
However, I believe you have a slight misconception of what a teacher is. They are in fact an authority. They bear a certain responsibility, which elevates them to a higher position. To think that teachers are mentors is naiive, as schools are concepted to teach in quantity, not quality. Every form of government forces you into school, as it secures the gornment from deteriorating. Whether you like it or not, you are born as a tool, as you are integrated into society without your consent ( not that you can give them your consent in the first place ). And as a member of society, you have certain basic obligations. If you neglect these, you'll find yourself having a hard time within society.
To sum it up: You don't have the freedom of choosing what you want to do and it doesn't matter if you're being treated unfair, as long as it serves the purpose of turning you into a functioning member of society. You all are right about disciplinary actions screwing up people's psyche. But that is a small price to pay as it all balances out ( people with a high grade get good jobs, people with a shitty grade don't get jobs as good and those without grades get shit jobs - oversimplified, ofcourse ).

FireCat

Reaction score
First of all, she is only 11 years old ! Second the teacher, should just have sent her out
"Not by abusing / humiliating her!"

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
First of all, she is only 11 years old ! Second the teacher, should just have sent her out
"Not by abusing / humiliating her!"
What? You think sending her out is not humiliating? Every punishment is a negative reenforcement at such a young age. But you're not gonna get past it. It's an event that can happen anytime.
You're trying to find the guilty person. But you're so sort sighted. All you see is a teacher punishing a student. But there is more to that.
Where did she learn that sort of behaviour? Probably from her Parents or from a form of media, such as television or maybe even from her peer. Can you say that it's not like that? I know I can't. But I'll tell you what I do know. Are you familiar with how a human learns? It's an endless tag of accumulation and assimilation. I'll simplify it with an example. A child sees a dog, it's got 4 legs and barks. It calls it 'wauwau','woof' or something in that direction. Then it sees a cat. At first the child sees that it has 4 legs. It calls it 'wauwau', until it starts to 'meow'. Thats when the child has an inner conflict. The dog barks, but the cat 'meows'. The child needs to make a difference. If the child succeeds, it can slowly differentiate between 'wauwau' and 'meow'. If not, the Child says 'wauwau' to the cat as well. With time, the child realizes that there are more attributes that further differentiate those two animals from each other and so the 'learning process' reiterates.
Now, lets say the 11 y/o girl learned to be the center of attention all her life. If she can handle and understand the punishment, she will correct what she has learned. Which is what the learning process is all about. If not, she'll do it again and again. Until she learns it.

What I'm trying to get across is, that maybe it was appropriet to use such an extreme method, as some people start learning when they connect a certain action with something bad. In this case it would be 'talk in class and you'll be punished' as to connecting a certain action to something good ( like, 'don't talk and you're a good girl' ). I'll clear it up with the easiest understandable example. Tell a boy not to touch the stove top. If the boy understood it, he will probably think 'I'm a good boy if I don't touch the stove top'. But in most cases, the boy will think 'why should I?'. So the kid touches the stove top and burns his Fingers. thats whats called negative reenforcement. Thats when the boy learns 'if I touch the stove top, I'll hurt mayself'. So, Firecat. Is it nessessarily bad to use negative reenforement? I'd say no, if the kid's got the ability learn.

HOWEVER, it is in fact abusive, if you punish without a legitimate reason. Thats why negative reenforcement is dangerous, as you're confusing the child to the point where it doesn't want to learn anymore/resigns.

Varine

Reaction score
schools are concepted to teach in quantity, not quality

And that concept is propagated by people like you who sit there with the allowance of a travesty of misinformation and the mistreatment of the students at the hands of those who you feel are and potentially should be an authority. I admittadly didn't read all of it because I have to go to work but tonight, I will take the time to actually take your statements apart bit and bit and explain why you may not necessarily be wrong, but the failure of the school system is a world wide epidemic that must be abolished, forgotten, and reformed from concept (actually, I will probably just bitch and moan for a little bit then be back on my way).

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
And that concept is propagated by people like you who sit there with the allowance of a travesty of misinformation and the mistreatment of the students at the hands of those who you feel are and potentially should be an authority. I admittadly didn't read all of it because I have to go to work but tonight, I will take the time to actually take your statements apart bit and bit and explain why you may not necessarily be wrong, but the failure of the school system is a world wide epidemic that must be abolished, forgotten, and reformed from concept (actually, I will probably just bitch and moan for a little bit then be back on my way).

You are absolutly right about the concept of school. I'm not supportive of it at all, but you can't avert your eyes from reality. If I've missed something then point it out, I'm open for discussion.

Varine

Reaction score
I actually don't work today, I guess. That was a long drive out there for nothing. However, I still don't want to read it right now so it will be a project for later tonight when I'm not trying to procrastinate. Although I think we're more or less in agreement and just arguing over the semantics and misunderstandings.

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
It's actually Better than being taped ! Btw: Sometimes it's not the parents' fault ! And seriously, teacher didn't said she have done this before.
So, really, it could Just being in a bad mood act from the teacher. Next time It could have been worse !

LOL '"woof'" "meow"

Hmm... Why did I even bother writing half a fucking essay for you when you're just gonna say fuckin' LOL? I should've never thought, even for a fraction of a second, that you're capable of saying something else than 'LOL' and 'thats fucked up'.
Whelp, I've learnt my lesson.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats why I usually just throw an insult at firecat and call it a day.
There is no "talking" to do with that thing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.