Sharing A Building with an Alliance

BlackRabbit

Reaction score
I am looking for a way to share a single upgrade tower with everyone in my TD so that I don't have to have extra buildings bumming around. Is there any way I can share a tower that offers Upgrades so that anyone can buy their upgrades from just one tower, or would it make just more logical sense to make a building for each person?

Necrach

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
You COULD base it off a hero tavern, and make each hero represent (and look like) an upgrade. When a player buys a hero, remove it from the game and grant the upgrade. The other players will still be able to buy that hero from the tavern! I do believe that removing the hero will not make it available again, but I am not sure.. (my bad if it's the case)

Remember to remove any hero restrictions if you are making this. You might be able to even add level 2 to upgrades etc, with adding heroes to tavern after one is bought-

The only bad thing is that there cannot be a research time on the upgrades, they will be instantly researched :eek:

TomTTT

Reaction score
What I did was created a shop, changed it's look and created upgrades (you don't even have to change anything about them - just the name). Now set all upgrades to a variable array and all item to arrays, and if the Item bought equal to Item[Integer A] then set the research level of Upgrade[Integer A] to the owner.

BlackRabbit

Reaction score
Would the game run smoother if there was only one shop? Because these triggers seem like it would be just as easy to make two buildings, as opposed to that as I am. I wish there was just a way to share a building that people could buy different stuff from =P Maybe I'll do what Tom mentioned; it seems like the closest thing I'm looking for, but thanks to both of you for the ideas. I'll keep hunting around.

Necrach

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Another suggestion is to make a neutral building for visuals, but that is unselectable. Then make invisible units (imported, invisible model so that they CAN be selected) with right size selection circles for each player, and place all of them right at the neutral building. This way, every player will have their own unit for researching upgrade, but it will look like they are all using the same building!

TomTTT

Reaction score
Another suggestion is to make a neutral building for visuals, but that is unselectable. Then make invisible units (imported, invisible model so that they CAN be selected) with right size selection circles for each player, and place all of them right at the neutral building. This way, every player will have their own unit for researching upgrade, but it will look like they are all using the same building!

I really like that idea, but maybe you'll accidently select a building that is not owned by you? It will appear as a bug, altho it won't be.
I suggest create at the sides, with an invisible model, a building with upgrade (just like Necrach said, but on the sides) and then create a neutral in the middle. When a player selects it, clear the selection for him and select the shop[(Player number of (Triggering player))] (forgot to mention, set all shops to variables and do as said above)

BlackRabbit

Reaction score
I foresaw that happening; the wrong selection of a building would get my e-mail inbox flooded with bug reports. I guess it would be a bug if you clicked on what you wanted and it wouldn't work. I thought about bumping the selection to another unit when that one is selected. I don't think, however that i'll use it. But I'll map it up and post it for those interested in using something similar. Just out of curiosity, is there any way to make a unit without a model? I don't see NONE as an option anywhere...

Edit: It's not working properly, but I feel like I'm on the right path.
View attachment dummy building.w3x

Whoareyou.

Reaction score
Import a model, make the thingy say Model, then make the model file that model and if the model imported is WRONG the model is a shadow [unclickable though and if its a hero you can F1 etc]

Moradiae

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
using custom model, type _ as the path? (an underscore)

the editor should gives you Art - Model --- None :)

skyblader

You're living only because it's illegal killing.
Reaction score
Hmmm... I got an idea from the above, how about try doing something like this? I attached a test map because it was a little complicated.

What this does is whenever you select the tavern at the middle, your respective building is selected.

Attachments

• Tavern Testmap.w3x
    18.3 KB · Views: 152

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Make a building that sells mercenaries (units). Place invisible/unselectable units around it (so they can buy them).
A player buys a unit. Bought unit matches type "Attack Upgrade", then remove last sold unit. Upgrade - Attack Upgrade for owner of triggering unit.
That might work?

BlackRabbit

Reaction score
You COULD base it off a hero tavern, and make each hero represent (and look like) an upgrade. When a player buys a hero, remove it from the game and grant the upgrade. The other players will still be able to buy that hero from the tavern! I do believe that removing the hero will not make it available again, but I am not sure.. (my bad if it's the case)

Remember to remove any hero restrictions if you are making this. You might be able to even add level 2 to upgrades etc, with adding heroes to tavern after one is bought-

The only bad thing is that there cannot be a research time on the upgrades, they will be instantly researched

@esb: Necrach suggested this. I'll take a look at the map shortly.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Heroes =/= mercenaries.

Mercenaries are simple units. I'd prefer to choose simple units, don't have to worry about hero restrictions.

BlackRabbit

Reaction score
Hmmm... I got an idea from the above, how about try doing something like this? I attached a test map because it was a little complicated.

What this does is whenever you select the tavern at the middle, your respective building is selected.

I checked out your map. It works sufficiently, but I feel like having so many buildings is a clutter. Maybe I'd make them invisible somewhere off to the side, but for now, I'll just use a building for each player.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.