Sharing A Building with an Alliance

BlackRabbit

Reaction score
I am looking for a way to share a single upgrade tower with everyone in my TD so that I don't have to have extra buildings bumming around. Is there any way I can share a tower that offers Upgrades so that anyone can buy their upgrades from just one tower, or would it make just more logical sense to make a building for each person?

You COULD base it off a hero tavern, and make each hero represent (and look like) an upgrade. When a player buys a hero, remove it from the game and grant the upgrade. The other players will still be able to buy that hero from the tavern! I do believe that removing the hero will not make it available again, but I am not sure.. (my bad if it's the case)

Remember to remove any hero restrictions if you are making this. You might be able to even add level 2 to upgrades etc, with adding heroes to tavern after one is bought-

The only bad thing is that there cannot be a research time on the upgrades, they will be instantly researched :eek:

What I did was created a shop, changed it's look and created upgrades (you don't even have to change anything about them - just the name). Now set all upgrades to a variable array and all item to arrays, and if the Item bought equal to Item[Integer A] then set the research level of Upgrade[Integer A] to the owner.

Would the game run smoother if there was only one shop? Because these triggers seem like it would be just as easy to make two buildings, as opposed to that as I am. I wish there was just a way to share a building that people could buy different stuff from =P Maybe I'll do what Tom mentioned; it seems like the closest thing I'm looking for, but thanks to both of you for the ideas. I'll keep hunting around.

Another suggestion is to make a neutral building for visuals, but that is unselectable. Then make invisible units (imported, invisible model so that they CAN be selected) with right size selection circles for each player, and place all of them right at the neutral building. This way, every player will have their own unit for researching upgrade, but it will look like they are all using the same building!

Another suggestion is to make a neutral building for visuals, but that is unselectable. Then make invisible units (imported, invisible model so that they CAN be selected) with right size selection circles for each player, and place all of them right at the neutral building. This way, every player will have their own unit for researching upgrade, but it will look like they are all using the same building!

I really like that idea, but maybe you'll accidently select a building that is not owned by you? It will appear as a bug, altho it won't be.
I suggest create at the sides, with an invisible model, a building with upgrade (just like Necrach said, but on the sides) and then create a neutral in the middle. When a player selects it, clear the selection for him and select the shop[(Player number of (Triggering player))] (forgot to mention, set all shops to variables and do as said above)

I foresaw that happening; the wrong selection of a building would get my e-mail inbox flooded with bug reports. I guess it would be a bug if you clicked on what you wanted and it wouldn't work. I thought about bumping the selection to another unit when that one is selected. I don't think, however that i'll use it. But I'll map it up and post it for those interested in using something similar. Just out of curiosity, is there any way to make a unit without a model? I don't see NONE as an option anywhere...

Edit: It's not working properly, but I feel like I'm on the right path.
View attachment dummy building.w3x

Import a model, make the thingy say Model, then make the model file that model and if the model imported is WRONG the model is a shadow [unclickable though and if its a hero you can F1 etc]

using custom model, type _ as the path? (an underscore)

the editor should gives you Art - Model --- None :)

Hmmm... I got an idea from the above, how about try doing something like this? I attached a test map because it was a little complicated.

What this does is whenever you select the tavern at the middle, your respective building is selected.

Attachments

• Tavern Testmap.w3x
    18.3 KB · Views: 154
Make a building that sells mercenaries (units). Place invisible/unselectable units around it (so they can buy them).
A player buys a unit. Bought unit matches type "Attack Upgrade", then remove last sold unit. Upgrade - Attack Upgrade for owner of triggering unit.
That might work?

You COULD base it off a hero tavern, and make each hero represent (and look like) an upgrade. When a player buys a hero, remove it from the game and grant the upgrade. The other players will still be able to buy that hero from the tavern! I do believe that removing the hero will not make it available again, but I am not sure.. (my bad if it's the case)

Remember to remove any hero restrictions if you are making this. You might be able to even add level 2 to upgrades etc, with adding heroes to tavern after one is bought-

The only bad thing is that there cannot be a research time on the upgrades, they will be instantly researched

@esb: Necrach suggested this. I'll take a look at the map shortly.

Heroes =/= mercenaries.

Mercenaries are simple units. I'd prefer to choose simple units, don't have to worry about hero restrictions.

Hmmm... I got an idea from the above, how about try doing something like this? I attached a test map because it was a little complicated.

What this does is whenever you select the tavern at the middle, your respective building is selected.

I checked out your map. It works sufficiently, but I feel like having so many buildings is a clutter. Maybe I'd make them invisible somewhere off to the side, but for now, I'll just use a building for each player.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    News portal has been retired. Main page of site goes to Headline News forum now
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am working on getting access to the old news portal under a different URL for those that would rather use that for news before we get a different news view.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Easily done
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    https://www.thehelper.net/pages/news/ is a link to the old news portal - i will integrate it into the interface somewhere when i figure it out
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Need to try something
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hopefully this won't cause problems.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hmm
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I have converted the Headline News forum to an Article type forum. It will now show the top 20 threads with more detail of each thread.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    See how we like that.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do not see a way to go past the 1st page of posts on the forum though
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is OK though for the main page to open up on the forum in the view it was before. As long as the portal has its own URL so it can be viewed that way I do want to try it as a regular forum view for a while
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is with the pagination.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    It SHOULD be there so I think it might just be an artifact of having an older style.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I switched it to a "Standard" article forum. This will show the thread list like normal, but the threads themselves will have the first post set up above the rest of the "comments"
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I don't really get that article forum but I think it is because I have never really seen it used on a multi post thread
  • Ghan Ghan:
    RpNation makes more use of it right now as an example: https://www.rpnation.com/news/
  • The Helper The Helper:
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What do you think Tom?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    I will have to get used to this.
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    The latest news feed looks good
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I would like to see it again like Ghan had it the first time with pagination though - without the pagination that view will not work but with pagination it just might...
  • The Helper The Helper:
    This drink recipe I have had more than a few times back in the day! Mind Eraser https://www.thehelper.net/threads/cocktail-mind-eraser.194720/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.