Speaker Problem

Shimergloom

Reaction score
Basically the problem is my speakers worked, I moved, now they don't work.
The speakers function, I even tried another set of speakers that I know aren't damaged, they didn't work either. Headphones don't work either.
Everything is unmuted, the volume is up high enough. I do not have a sound card, it's integrated into the motherboard. It's a Realtek AC97 Audio device. I tried reseating the audio plug, I thought it worked because the Windows sound played when I turned it on which hasn't happened before now but normal audio still doesn't work.
When I open the Realtek Sound Manager I get this window. If I set it to auto-detect it usually registers my speakers as a mic. If I press the "start" button I hear a crackle or whine and sometimes one beat of a song if I have one playing. I have stopped other audio applications like it says but it makes no difference whether they're on or off. I also hear the same crackle and whine whether I set it as speakers, headphones, mic, or line-in.
I tried buying a sound card but it didn't fit in the case, the card and motherboard are both ATX but the motherboard seems to be too close to the edge of the case which makes no sense seeing as my graphics card fits just fine.
The control panel says all audio devices are functioning properly.
I've tried to provide as much info as possible, if you need to know anything else, let me know.
So, I'm looking for a way to fix this problem and/or a reason it might have occurred to begin with.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
The Asus sound manager looks like it's the one interfering. Try uninstalling it.

What do you mean by you "moved"? You moved house, or the speakers? Maybe un/plugging the speakers while the computer is on might cause trouble.

I suggest turning off your computer. Unplug them. Start your computer. Turn it off. Plug them back in. Start computer. (It works with my keyboard and mouse when I have problems)

Have you tried playing Windows sounds?

Rad

Reaction score
Click options on the connector sensing window of the Sound Manager and disable jack sensing (and never show the result of it too, as thats annoying)

Now change your speaker input to "Speakers", try changing it again and make sure it says "Speakers" (there was a bug with it not changing the first time and you have to change it again before it takes effect).

I don't really have any other suggestions until you try that, but for the sound card it should work. I bought a TV tuner and couldn't get it aligned with the slot in the back so I took pliers and bent the metal until it broke... When I got it aligned and screwed in it was in just like normal. I felt pretty stupid but the case works fine :p

Any PCI card (sound card) should fit, no matter what case or motherboard. They all go by the same standards. The only problem I've ever experienced (that wasn't just me being an idiot) was with my friends giant 8800GT in his tiny case that hit his HDD tray. Luckily you can just take it out and push it against the case. Still a tight fit.

Shimergloom

Reaction score
The Asus sound manager looks like it's the one interfering. Try uninstalling it.

What do you mean by you "moved"? You moved house, or the speakers? Maybe un/plugging the speakers while the computer is on might cause trouble.

I suggest turning off your computer. Unplug them. Start your computer. Turn it off. Plug them back in. Start computer. (It works with my keyboard and mouse when I have problems)

Have you tried playing Windows sounds?
Hasn't interfered in the past and I tried disabling just one of the drivers from Asus and I got a message saying the computer would be unable to play sounds.

Moved house.

Just finished trying that, now it says I have a power speaker (normal speakers) connected to the Rear Speaker Connector and Center/subwoofer Connector and stereo headphone/passive speaker connected to the Side Speaker Connector...

Yes, nothing comes out.

Rad said:
Click options on the connector sensing window of the Sound Manager and disable jack sensing (and never show the result of it too, as thats annoying)

Now change your speaker input to "Speakers", try changing it again and make sure it says "Speakers" (there was a bug with it not changing the first time and you have to change it again before it takes effect).

I don't really have any other suggestions until you try that, but for the sound card it should work. I bought a TV tuner and couldn't get it aligned with the slot in the back so I took pliers and bent the metal until it broke... When I got it aligned and screwed in it was in just like normal. I felt pretty stupid but the case works fine

It says "auto sense when connecting status is changed" not jack sensing, but I turned it off anyway, it didn't do anything.

Still didn't do anything.

I was gonna buy another sound card tomorrow to see if it would fit, if it doesn't I might just take off the end bit like you did.

Rad

Reaction score
No, you shouldn't need to take off the end piece. Even if it looks like it doesn't fit, it does. Make sure the metal slider goes in place properly and that the card is aligned with the expansion slot.

I really, really doubt that your case/motherboard doesn't fit a PCI card correctly.

Shimergloom

Reaction score
No, you shouldn't need to take off the end piece. Even if it looks like it doesn't fit, it does. Make sure the metal slider goes in place properly and that the card is aligned with the expansion slot.

I really, really doubt that your case/motherboard doesn't fit a PCI card correctly.
It doesn't. If the the edge of the case is on the left, and the end bit is in the slot between the case and the motherboard, the card is 1 pin(right word?) too far to the right.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.