Spell Spell Book

T

TheQuiet

Hello. This is my tutorial on how to make a spell book. I dont know if this was already posted, but Id like anyone reading it to know, Im not stealing it. I just happened to trip on this technique a few days ago. So please, if someone has posted this, let me know.

Note: This guide requires knowledge of world edit's trigger editor.
Note: This guide is meant for spell books that you see in ORPGs such as Defi4nc3's or Forlorn.

Step 1. Creating the Spell Book
Go into the object editor. Go to the abilities tab. Create a new ability.
Under "Items" create a new spell book. Or just search for a spell book, copy it and paste it.

Step 2. Editing the Spell Book
Now, this really might not be necessary, but it helps. So I will go through each line that must be or should be edited.

'Shared Spell Cooldown' - False
'Spell List' - None
'Item Ability' - False
'Levels' - Make it more then one. Will be explained later. For the tutorial, I will use two.

Now that the spell book is done. Lets add some test abilities. Note, that for every level, you include the ability from the last level. Note: Spell books can only contain unit abilities. So if you want a hero ability in it, make sure you make it a unit ability first.

So for level one, I will use Bash. For level two, I will use Bash, and then Beserk.

Also, there is a line that states "Level 1 - Data - Maximum Spells". You must change these according to how many abilities that level of the spell book has. It helps because it causes the abilties not to be spammed into the spell book. So for level one, I will have 1 Maximum and Minimum spell. For level 2, I will have 2 Maximum and Minimum spells.

The last thing to do, is give a hero the spell book. So I will give the Demon Hunter the spell book. You must add the spell book to the hero, using the line, "Abilities - Normal"

Step 3: Triggers

Now enter the trigger editor. At the current moment, when the demon hunter levels up, the spell book will not. So, in order to fix this, create a new trigger. Name it what you wish. We must create an event that starts when the hero levels up. To make it easier, lets make the event

Unit - Generic Unit Event (A unit Gains a level)

Now we must make an condition, so that it only effects our Demon Hunter.

Unit -Type Comparison (Unit-type of (Leveling Hero)) Equal to Demon Hunter)

Finally we must make an action. Now, for the tutorial Im going to go ahead and make just the action that takes place ONLY when he reaches level two. But in the test map, (link at the bottom of this tutorial), I will include an action that allows you to make more then one spell book level.

Unit - Set Level of Ability for Unit (Set level of Spell Book for Leveling Hero to 2.)

Now when the Demon Hunter reaches level 2, he will gain beserk. If you didnt understand, here is my trigger.

Now, I understand some people may use, two or more spell books, and use trigger to replace them, but in an ORPG, it causes way less loading speed and lag to use this method. As stated, my test map contains an extra trigger for you to see how to do multiple levels. Enjoy.

EDIT: I apologize for the images size. Didnt think to resize it.

Attachments

• Spell Book Test.w3x
    16.4 KB · Views: 229
T

TheQuiet

Not the same tutorial :). His doesnt contain what mine does. Specifically why I did it. And whats +R? o.o. +Rep?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.