Target Point of Ability being cast wouldn't work

feelingparty

Reaction score
I have a spell based on blizzard and I'm trying to find a way to refer to the center of the AoE as Point (say I want to create a footman there). I tried "Target Point of Ability being cast" and it didn't work. Any thoughts?

EDIT: fixed >> It was Event's fault (being Unit finishes casting an ability instead of Starts the Effect of an Ability(yet it kinda sux as I have to rework some enormous triggers now :D))

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
Target point of ability being cast should work for blizzard. Are you using triggers? More specifically is there a wait in your triggers?

The "target point of ability being cast" inbuilt variable doesn't survive waits of a certain length (it gets cleared)....so if there ARE waits in your triggers, then you need to save that target point to a variable and then use that variable instead.

BAkil

Reaction score
Could you copy your trigger and paste it here?
That should work fine, meaning there's probably a tiny little mistake somewhere causing it to go off the rails.
Don't forget to include the event and the conditions aswell, I'll do my best to help.

feelingparty

Reaction score
Yes I am using triggers and No no waits. Here's the trigger made in a simpler way. ( to avoid wall of text (it still doesn't work))
Trigger:
  • CustodianArrowCast Copy
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Finishes casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Custodian Arrow
    • Actions
      • Unit - Create 1 Footman for Player 1 (Red) at (Target point of ability being cast) facing Default building facing degrees

The thing is that when I change the region to something else it works >> It's not the ability's fault

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
Looking at your first post again, I see you've already realised that you need to use the event "A unit starts the effect of an ability". :D

BAkil

Reaction score
Yeah all you really need to do is change the event from when it finishes casting an ability to when it starts the effect of an ability. Because Blizzard is a channeling ability, it may take a while to actually finish casting the ability.

Additionally there is a small memory leak down there that I advise you quickly patch up, you can fix it by replace that single action with these three:
Trigger:
  • Set POINT = (Target point of ability being cast)
    • Unit - Create 1 Footman for Player 1 (Red) at POINT facing Default building facing degrees
    • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_POINT)

I'm not sure why they show the first action as an expandable thingy, just pretend it isn't =P
If you want to fix it you need a variable of type point. It doesn't have to be called POINT exactly, but you must refer to the same variable in all 3 actions.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.