Weird Teachers stage fake gun attack on kids

M

Marduke

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - Staff members of an elementary school staged a fictitious gun attack on students during a class trip, telling them it was not a drill as the children cried and hid under tables.

The mock attack Thursday night was intended as a learning experience and lasted five minutes during the weeklong trip to a state park, said Scales Elementary School Assistant Principal Don Bartch, who led the trip.

"We got together and discussed what we would have done in a real situation," he said.

But parents of the sixth-grade students were outraged.

"The children were in that room in the dark, begging for their lives, because they thought there was someone with a gun after them," said Brandy Cole, whose son went on the trip.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnnyfire

Reaction score
Well i think they needed it, they will most definately be prepared for one of those next time...
idk what the parents are talkin about cuz real danger doesn't in any way equate to perceived danger...
those kids must have pissed their pants though :D

Rad

Reaction score
What the FUCK?!

Thats messed up!

How could a school do that to SIXTH GRADERS?

Preparing them? For what? "You will be held at gun point several times in your life so you need to be prepared! LIVE IN FEAR YOUNG ONES~!"

Doesnt sound like they learned much, except how to fear guns...

Thats outrageous

Johnnyfire, what the hell? They deserved it??

Is this really as terrible as it sounds? Wouldnt that traumatize them?

Tonks

Reaction score
idk what the parents are talkin about cuz real danger doesn't in any way equate to perceived danger...

According to whom? And in what sense?
Sure, with perceived danger, you don't have a chance to die. But as you don't know that at the time, they're in equality of the moment.

M

Marduke

I don't see anything wrong with running a drill preparing students in the event of a school shooting, but the manner in which they did it is beyond ridiculous.

The point of a drill, really, is to know it's a drill - and learn what needs to be done in an emergency.

What do you get out of crying under a table and having the shit scared out of you - other than a soiled pair of pants?

I'm sure you'd change your mind if someone robbed you with an unloaded gun. (Of course you didn't know it was unloaded at the time of the robbery)

Imagine if one of the kids had an asthma attack because of the incident, and ended up dying. I suppose the teachers wouldn't be responsible though because the kids weren't in any real danger right? /roll eyes

Akatsuki

Reaction score
Like the guy above me I also think that it is not bad to do a drill. But this was far more then just a drill. I don't know about you guys but in my school we have a fire drill. And when we do it we don't put the building on fire. We just do what we would do. Also my school has a Code Red drill. Which is when an intruter comes into the building that is dangerous. We don't get a guy with a gun to our school. We just practice hiding in the courner trying to make the room look empty as possible.

Tonks

Reaction score
Heh, in my highschool, amongst the teachers there's a secret phrase that is used to warn the building if a student has a gun or weapon. It changes every time they use it, and it's been changed three times. "Mr. White is in the building." "We will be holding an impromptu ceremony in the Multi-Purpose room." and "Attention all Freshmen, please meet in the commons immediately." were the ones used so far.

johnnyfire

Reaction score
Let me clarify my position...

1. They needed a drill, and does anybody pay attention to drills that they know are just drills?

2. I don't think they deserved it... i think it was good for them.

3. Maybe the hooded teacher went a little far, but nobody pointed a gun to their heads.

4. Maybe they would fear guns... aren't guns dangerous though, shouldn't people be afraid of guns?

5. They percieved danger for ...5 minutes... nothing could have happened even if they didn't know that they were fine.

6. If someone points a gun to my head in order to rob me, their intentions are already bad: there is danger if not from the gun then they could try to beat me up...
the intention of this was this was to prepare the kids... nobody wanted to harm them, the kids were still under the protection of the teachers

7. real danger does not equate to percieved danger, the fact that you are in danger is quite different than the thought that you are in danger...
just because you are afraid of heights, rollercoasters, enclosed spaces, darkness, butterflies, etc. does that mean that they pose a real and present danger to you?

8. honestly how do you prepare for a shooting when a student could be the shooter... even a 6th grader who took daddy's gun.... at least they're trying something

9. nothing should come of this, except maybe they think of a less controversial way of doing that, they did what they thought was right... are the parents psycologists or doctors that they can tell if the kids will be profoundly changed?

10. my whole point is assumptions do not equate to truths
we can assume that their way was the wrong way, but how can we know for sure?

M

Marduke

Let me clarify my position...

1. They needed a drill, and does anybody pay attention to drills that they know are just drills?
If you practice it enough, in an emergency situation you'd probably do just what you practiced. Just because you fool around during school drills doesn't mean no one else takes it seriously.

2. I don't think they deserved it... i think it was good for them.
This is hilarious. I'm sure you would have thought quite differently if it happend to you.

3. Maybe the hooded teacher went a little far, but nobody pointed a gun to their heads.
Thank god...

4. Maybe they would fear guns... aren't guns dangerous though, shouldn't people be afraid of guns?
...? What the fuck are you talking about ?

5. They percieved danger for ...5 minutes... nothing could have happened even if they didn't know that they were fine.
The teachers have no right to put the kids into the situation. Yes they were not going to get hurt, but for god's sake these were what, 10-11 year old kids?

6. If someone points a gun to my head in order to rob me, their intentions are already bad: there is danger if not from the gun then they could try to beat me up...
the intention of this was this was to prepare the kids... nobody wanted to harm them, the kids were still under the protection of the teachers
You don't know that the robber would beat you up, that's perceived danger.
The point is, this is A BAD WAY TO PREPARE THE KIDS. If you don't understand that then you;'re just being illogical.

7. real danger does not equate to percieved danger, the fact that you are in danger is quite different than the thought that you are in danger...
just because you are afraid of heights, rollercoasters, enclosed spaces, darkness, butterflies, etc. does that mean that they pose a real and present danger to you?
Some people are scared of pickles. Do pickles pose a danger to ANYONE? No, but their fear is VERY real - and I'm sure you could not convince them otherwise.
Who has a right to subject anyone to that kind of fear?

8. honestly how do you prepare for a shooting when a student could be the shooter... even a 6th grader who took daddy's gun.... at least they're trying something
Drills? Have an emergency system in place so kids know the best thing to do in an emergency situation?

9. nothing should come of this, except maybe they think of a less controversial way of doing that, they did what they thought was right... are the parents psycologists or doctors that they can tell if the kids will be profoundly changed?
Just because they thought it was right doesn't make it okay.

You're not a doctor either - so you have no clue what effect this could have on young children. Stop talking out of your ass.

10. my whole point is assumptions do not equate to truths
we can assume that their way was the wrong way, but how can we know for sure?
You are an idiot.

M

Marduke

They then had someone drive up toward the building the kids were in and start honking the horn repeatedly for several minutes. They then turned off the vehicle and walked up to the building and rattled the door as if they were trying to get inside. Then, one of the teachers walked into the adjacent room and slammed open the door as if the person outside had just entered the building and commenced to “struggle” with each other. ... The teachers then re-entered the room the kids were in and turned on the lights (which the kids naturally thought was the “gunman” coming into the room to shoot them) and then started laughing at them and telling them that it was all a joke.

Personally, I'm starting to feel like it was more of a joke than a drill - and they are just claiming it was a drill just to cover their asses.

johnnyfire

Reaction score
I'm just stating my opinions... that is what i believe in the current contect of my experieces... you don't have to agree...

as the saying goes when you assume you make an ass out of u and me

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Holy shit I missed this or don't remember it. WTF - I would love to hear an interview with one of the kids now to see what kind of effect this incident had on their life...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.