Crime Texas: FBI announces investigation into Harris County jail system after 32 inmates die

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
The FBI has opened an investigation into allegations of federal rights violations following the deaths of two inmates at the Harris County Jail in Texas after a request by the sheriff's office.

"These investigations will be fair, thorough, and impartial, and will proceed independently of any state investigations involving incidents at the jail. To preserve the integrity and capabilities of the investigations, no details of the ongoing process will be publicly shared," FBI Houston said in a statement Monday.

Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez had reached out to the FBI to investigate the deaths of Jaquaree Simmons who died in February 2021 and Jacoby Pillow who died in January 2023, while they were in the custody of the Harris County Jail.

"Last week, I reached out to James Smith, special agent in charge of the FBI's Houston Field Office, to have his agents review the circumstances surrounding two men's deaths in our jail because I want our community to fully trust our commitment to transparency and full accountability," Gonzalez said in a statement. "I look forward to learning the FBI's findings, because we must all know the full truth if we are to improve our operation and make the jail as safe as possible for everyone entrusted into our care."

The announcement also came after a Houston press conference with attorneys Ben Crump and Paul Grinke Monday afternoon requesting the Department of Justice open an investigation.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.