General The iPhone 'Misunderstood' Christmas Ad Is A Sad Commentary On Culture And Does Apple No Favors

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Everyone else seems to love it. It is being referred to as “endearing” and “touching,” eliciting a “merry little cry.” It will “tug at heartstrings,” even. It’s a new commercial for Apple’s iPhone 5s and its AirPlay technology.

I caught it on TV last night, and I couldn’t disagree more. It’s called “Misunderstood,” as in misunderstood teenager. I found it depressing, upsetting, and a sad commentary on our social-, video- and image-obsessed culture. The goal, of course, was to market the wonder of the iPhone using the element of surprise: show a seemingly slacker teen disengaged from the goings-on of family life, his eyeballs glued to his iPhone–save for very fleeting moments–suddenly reveals to stunned family members a touching video he’d made of their Christmas merriment. That he’d been creating all day.

The problem is that while he was creating, he wasn’t really living the day, he was a mere voyeur during it. The message? Life is better through video. Don’t live life, tape it.

I admit I do this as much as anyone. We all love to photograph and record the activities and people we love. But lately I’ve been going to bed at night with that nagging feeling that I hadn’t lived enough and had spent too much time focused on a device. Seriously. Are we happy that this year’s Thanksgiving and Hanukkah was Instagram’s busiest ever? This commercial glorified that reality. And I don’t think it is a positive message.

Last edited by a moderator:

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Much like you, Cheshire, he was just a misunderstood little boy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.