Sci/Tech The rise and fall of AMD: How an underdog stuck it to Intel (Part 1)

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
On June 10, 2000, Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) wanted to party—and party big. The company’s CEO, Jerry Sanders, arranged to rent out the entire San Jose Arena (now called the HP Pavilion) and then paid big bucks to bring in Faith Hill and Tim McGraw, the husband-and-wife country music superstars.

Employees “could bring anybody, your wife, your kids, your friends—it was big doings. There were celebrations, gifts and awards,” recalled Fran Barton, who served as AMD’s chief financial officer from 1998 to 2001. The boss even got in on the fun. “[Sanders] was on a high wire, he did a unicycle ride. It was totally Hollywood. He could really put on a show when he wanted to put on a show.”
And why not celebrate in style? AMD’s successful Athlon chips—Ars named the Athlon its "CPU of the Year" in 1999—had finally put the screws to archrival Intel, and in 2000 the company earned nearly $1 billion in profits.

By 2005, years of solid chip design and technological execution had the company walking with a swagger, as seen in marketing stunts which challenged Intel's then-current server processors to a "dual-core duel.” Nowhere was this attitude more apparent than AMD's 2005 lawsuit against Intel for anti-competitive business practices.

Doubters didn't think the good times could last. "I rode through a few such cycles and can recall the zenith of decadent exuberance and breathtaking spectacle in 2000 when AMD's then showman CEO, Jerry Sanders, clad in tight leather pants, shirt cracked open to the waist, descended to the stage of the HP Pavilion in a cherry-picker and announced that AMD's stock would soar to over $100 per share and that another [chip fabrication plant] would be built in Austin,” recalled Bill Bushnell, a rank-and-file veteran software engineer at AMD, in an e-mail to Ars. "Neither occurred."

Read more here.

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
Its gona be interesting to see how amd to does these next few years.
In the Pc department they have fallen behind, and appears are going to be falling even farther.

But in the Mobile department they are doing much better then intel. But Intel has been pushing pretty hard and its just starting to come out into the mobile department with any success.

My Bets are that intel will breach the mobile department and become a major player in the next 2-4 years. (over 30%) where now its not even a % of processers on main stream phones.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
And spark another anti-trust lawsuit against Intel similar to Microsoft's IE vs. other browsers.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
They need a bigger focus on APUs in the mobile market, they can find their niche there.

Wow! Long time no see.

What I think they need to do, is to improve capabilities and cut down prices some more, to make it even more competitive.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
My Bets are that intel will breach the mobile department and become a major player in the next 2-4 years. (over 30%) where now its not even a % of processers on main stream phones.

Intel typically is several years ahead of what currently is released (i.e. what they release in a few years likely is already developed). So it wouldn't be surprising to see them start to move in and dominant mobile and micro-platform markets fairly soon.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Intel typically is several years ahead of what currently is released (i.e. what they release in a few years likely is already developed). So it wouldn't be surprising to see them start to move in and dominant mobile and micro-platform markets fairly soon.
Wow, you dont say. I always thought they release before the developement. To get a kickstart, you know?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.