Troll Gladiators

Heavy-Gear

Reaction score
New info will be highlighted in orange

This is my second attempt at a 'gladiator style' project. The other collapsed when I found out the entire game concept wouldn't work... Hopefully that doesn't happen again :). Here it is:

Troll Gladiators!

Full_Shot.gif

Concept

Roughly based on the 'arena' style of gameplay; you pick your stuff and fight waves of creeps for gold to buy more stuff. Although with some vital differences:

1. The heroes are trolls, they have small amounts of health but high regeneration. Hence a troll cannot survive continuous punishment and must step back to heal (or use potions etc).
2. You do not pick a class, you pick a race of troll (Forrest, Jungle or Ice), which give varying attributes.
3. You do not keep the same weapon for the entire game, you buy new weapons with gold (and possibly some kind of 'combat point'). Weapons are either 1H melee, 2H melee or 2H ranged.
4. You train abilities at various trainers and are not given them automatically.
5. It's not your everyday dirt and walls terrain, it is set in a hollowed-out cave in Northrend (ice terrain)

Gameplay

The game begins with a very short cinematic detailing some game basics followed by a choice of race. You then progress to the weapons/items area where you choose a starting weapon and various accessories (potions etc). You then move into the arena where you can move to various terrain 'zones' to fight off the creeps.

Round Types:

- Normal round
- Ranged round
- Boss round
- Versus round (all on all)

Possibly some more.

Weapons:

The top two slots of your inventory are "weapon slots". When you buy a weapon from a store it goes in the normal part of your inventory (bottom 4 slots), but when you click on it, it is equipped in one of the weapon slots. To unequip the weapon you just click on it again and it moves into a normal inventory slot. While the weapon is in your inventory it does not have any effect on your hero, but when equipped, damage bonuses etc will be activated.

The current weapon system allows you to either equip one 1H weapon, two 1H weapons or one 2H weapon. In the actual game, in order to equip two 1H weapons you need to train the ability 'dual wield' at the agility trainer.

Shields:

A shield acts almost like a 1H weapon; it can be equipped in the off-hand slot with another 1H weapon, as long as you have the ability to carry the shield, purchased from the strength trainer.

Abilities/Spells:

In the ability training area there are two types of trainers; combat trainers and spell trainers. You pick abilities according to your attributes and you can buy any spell you want as long as you have the perquisites (intelligence/previous spells).

For example, the ability 'Bash' may require 20 strength to learn and you may have to have a strength based weapon equipped in order to use it (undecided).
Whereas the spell 'Fireball' may require 25 intelligence to learn, as well as the spell before it: 'Flame Strike'.

Troll Races:

At the start of the game you will have a choice to use one of three troll races:

Forrest Troll
Beginning Stats:
23 Strength
24 Agility
28 Intelligence

Jungle Troll
Beginning Stats:
24 Strength
28 Agility
23 Intelligence

Ice Troll
Beginning Stats:
28 Strength
24 Agility
23 Intelligence

Each race will have a racial spell/ability that you start off with and possibly level up (undecided).

Story

The mystics of the various troll tribes have predicted the downfall of the trolls unless they can establish alliegences between tribes. The ice trolls eventually agreed to host a massive gladiator tournament in Northrend, pitting trolls from various tribes against an array of monsters from all over Azeroth in an effort to unite the trolls. Fight for both your life and glory for your tribe!

The Map

Full shot is shown at top.

Items/Training Area:

ItemTrainingArea.gif

Cinematic Area:

CineArea.gif

Mountain Zone:

MountainZone.gif

Cavern Zone:

CavernZone.gif

Forrest Zone:

ForrestZone.gif

Water Zone:

WaterZone.gif

Progress

Things I've done so far:

- Weapon system is complete, or I should say a weapon system is complete. At the moment it is very bulky and requires too much effort when making new weapons. I will post it later.
- Map terrain is complete

Help

Any help is appreciated and please, constructive criticism only :).

Idea's

Below is a list of weapons, items and other ideas...
******Daggers (1H)******

Knife(50):
no req
+15 dmg (very fast)

Dagger(100):
req 25A
+20 dmg (very fast)

Dirk(200):
req 30A
+30 dmg (very fast)

******Swords (1H)******

Short Sword(50):
no req
+2o dmg (fast)

Long Sword(100):
req 25A
+25 dmg (fast)

Broad Sword(200):
req 30A
+35 dmg (fast)

******Ranged Weapons (2H)******

Throwing Knife(250):
req 30A
+25dmg (very fast)

Balanced Knife(350):
req 35A
+35 dmg (very fast)

Throwing Axe(250):
req 30A
+30dmg (fast)

Balanced Axe(350):
req 35A
+40 dmg (fast)

Short Bow(250):
req 30A
+35dmg (slow)

Long Bow(350):
req 35A
+45 dmg (slow)

******Axes (1H)******

Hand Axe(50):
no req
+25 dmg (slow)

Axe(100):
req 25S
+30 dmg (slow)

War Axe(200):
req 30S
+40 dmg (slow)

******Maces (1H)******

Club(50):
no req
+30 dmg (very slow)

Spiked Club(100):
req 25S
+35 dmg (very slow)

Mace(200):
req 30S
+45 dmg (very slow)

******Large Weapons (2H)******

Bastard Sword(250):
req 30S
+40 dmg (fast)

Great Sword(350):
req 35S
+50 dmg (fast)

Battle Axe(250):
req 30S
+45 dmg (slow)

Great Axe(350):
req 35S
+55 dmg (slow)

Maul(250):
req 30S
+50 dmg (very slow)

Great Maul(350):
req 35S
+60 dmg (very slow)

^ wasn't sure how to do a show/hide text thingy so i used a spoiler.

Attached is the map so far, try the weapon system out by buying a weapon from one of the stores to the left.

Attachments

• Troll Gladiators v0.4.w3x
    40.8 KB · Views: 123

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
Hey there !
Well, i got a few things to say, some good, and some not so good things.
First off, I'll be aiming on your Idea.
It's close to the normal Gladiator map. Try throwing in some unique things inside, like Systems or something, to spice up the gameplay.
Knext would be, that your Terrain is just aweful... Please, don't use cliffs too much... Try using the rise tools ;)
All in all, i wish you luck for this Project... Cheers.

Demonwrath

Happy[ExtremelyOverCommercializ ed]HolidaysEveryon
Reaction score
Lovely looking map, I hope it turns out well.

If you want, I will help you with anything you need help with, but will be unavailable for a couple weeks.

My pros on the map:
1. Terrain looks good (Side Note - Hatebreeder, for maps like this, the Blizzard cliffs are better suited, and work better than the rise tool would.)
2. Love the concept, sounds like it'll do well on BNet
3. The weapon/item system sounds cool. I think it'll help make your map different, and better, than other Gladiator maps out there

My Questions on the map:
1. Are there classes for the trolls? Or is each race fixed (Like Jungle Ranged, Ice Melee, Forest Caster, etc.)?
2. How many creeps spawn each round? How many rounds are there in total?
3. In the Versus Round, what do you mean by all on all? Is it a free for all battle? If so are your heroes revived in the end?
4. Is it a one life Gladiator game like Orc Gladiators? Or do you have some chances before you loose like in Legendary Gladiators?
5. Are there any caster items? Are there any casters at all?

My Cons on the map:
1. Gladiator concept isn't 'original' to say the least
2. Weapon system looks buggy, to you have a way so if they have a 2H weapon they cannot get another weapon? or if they get a 1H weapon it shows in a hand? And are the Right hand and Left Hand weapons, or does it depends on the slot (Top left slot = left hand/Top right slot = right hand)?
3. A bit most description is required. Go into to further depth on the Trolls, like the attribute advantage/disadvantage with each race, different spells for each race, and if there are any classes (refer to my first question).

Well there is my input, and I hope this map works out. :D

Heavy-Gear

Reaction score
Question answered.

Try throwing in some unique things inside, like Systems or something, to spice up the gameplay

Unique to gladiator maps: Weapon system, Terrain, Ability/spell system. It is not meant to be something entirely new, it is a gladiator map.

Please, don't use cliffs too much... Try using the rise tools ;)

I understand, now actually looking at it i can see what you mean. I think I am going to change the water area to 'rise tool' rivers instead of blizzard cliffs.

Are there classes for the trolls? Or is each race fixed (Like Jungle Ranged, Ice Melee, Forest Caster, etc.)?

Each troll race has different starting attributes but what type of abilities and weapons your troll uses are completely up to you.

How many creeps spawn each round? How many rounds are there in total?

That is something i haven't decided yet :p . I am working on the weapons/item/abilities first.

In the Versus Round, what do you mean by all on all? Is it a free for all battle? If so are your heroes revived in the end?

In all the rounds, if your hero dies and your team still wins the round you will revive at the bonfire (like orc gladiators). In the versus round, it is an all on all fight between heroes and the last troll standing wins (if you happen to die at the same time then you will revive still ;) ).

Is it a one life Gladiator game like Orc Gladiators? Or do you have some chances before you loose like in Legendary Gladiators?

Yes it is one life like orc gladiators, if your whole team dies you lose the game. Do you think this is a good idea or bad?

5. Are there any caster items? Are there any casters at all?

In the ability training area there are two types of trainers; combat trainers and spell trainers. You pick abilities according to your weapon type and you can buy any spell you want as long as you have the perquisites.

Weapon system looks buggy, to you have a way so if they have a 2H weapon they cannot get another weapon? or if they get a 1H weapon it shows in a hand? And are the Right hand and Left Hand weapons, or does it depends on the slot (Top left slot = left hand/Top right slot = right hand)?

The weapon system is finished and is not buggy. Try it out with the attached map, it works fine :)

A bit most description is required...

When i posted this thread last night, I didn't put everything into it. I will try to expand my ideas ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.