UK News UK Smokers told to quit or surgery will be refused

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
if its a personal choice, keep it to yourself, and dont smoke anywhere near me, aka, in your house, no where else, period, I should not have to suffer for your ignorance

QFT. When I used to smoke, I used to be very aware of everyone around me. I kept the ciggarette as far away from anyone else as possible, and if the wind was blowing it to them, I would move around so that it wouldn't. It's a trait I picked up from my sister.

My father, on the other hand, does not care. He feels that if you don't like the smoke, then you should move yourself.

Naturally, I don't agree.

Woot woot, this reminds me: It's been over a year since I stopped smoking permanently ^.^

johnnyfire

Reaction score
if its a personal choice, keep it to yourself, and dont smoke anywhere near me, aka, in your house, no where else, period, I should not have to suffer for your ignorance

who smokes in their house? that a fire hazard. anyway did you read what you said keep it to yourself... so never smoke!?

car accidents may kill more people then smoking, however, second hand smoke alone kills more people then alcohol does

how do you measure the amout of people killed by secondhand smoke?
where are you getting your facts?
Read this!

Over 438,000 Americans (18.1 percent of all deaths) die because of smoking each year. Secondhand smoke kills about 50,000 of them. - from here
This report summarizes the results of that analysis, which indicated that approximately 75,766 AADs and 2.3 million YPLLs, or approximately 30 years of life lost on average per AAD, were attributable to excessive alcohol use in 2001. - from here
AAD is alcohol attributed deaths... that more than 50% more!
both of these are done by respected anti-smoke and alcohol organizations...

we are not talking about something these people were born with, as skin color, or heritage
nor are we talking about religous beliefs, where, although a conscious decision, holds no bearing in this current debate
we are talking about a conscious act by the patient which deliberatly inflicts harm where healing is trying to be accomplished, I consider is blasphemous for a patient to directly put them selves in harms way to simply fulfill their selfish desire

point... this is descrimination against the choices a person makes, if you choose to eat a lot without exercising would you want to be denied healthcare... if you chose to be a homosexual would you want to be denied healthcare... if you chose to drink would you want to be denied healthcare

point... telling smokers not to smoke while in the hospital is fine, but denying healthcare is somthing else

How can you live in a free country when you aren't allowed to make your decisions... this is nothing more than a bully move by non-smokers to impose their will on smokers.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
who smokes in their house? that a fire hazard. anyway did you read what you said keep it to yourself... so never smoke!?

A lot of people smoke in their houses. The three people I live with all smoke in the house and the place reeks because of it.

johnnyfire

Reaction score
That seems dumb, i wouldn't smoke in my house or car... but for me that's more about cleanliness than anything else.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
That seems dumb, i wouldn't smoke in my house or car... but for me that's more about cleanliness than anything else.

A lot of smokers don't care enough about their bodies or their living quarters enough to take a few steps into the backyard and smoke their cigarettes there.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
C'mon, Con. Be fair.

It's not that they "don't care", it's mostly that they don't notice because they're so used to the smell, anyway.

Well, with most of the ones I know, anyway ^.^ My father doesn't smoke in the house simply because he knows we would throw him out until he was done :D

M

Marduke

You? In our hospital? Forget it, you're too expensive for the system. There's a statistical chance you might have to stay an extra day.

That's not health care, that's business talk.
Chain production.
You just created a two classes system, where both sides pay just the same, but one is allowed in and the other not.

Congratulations.
Welcome to a better world.

It's tax payer money, so I say who cares.

point... this is descrimination against the choices a person makes, if you choose to eat a lot without exercising would you want to be denied healthcare... if you chose to be a homosexual would you want to be denied healthcare... if you chose to drink would you want to be denied healthcare

point... telling smokers not to smoke while in the hospital is fine, but denying healthcare is somthing else

Give me a fucking break.

They're being asked not to smoke for a few weeks, not to quit permanently. All your examples are absolutely absurd and don't relate AT ALL to what they're actually doing.

how can you live in a free country when you aren't allowed to make your decisions...

Welcome to real world, kiddo.

Edit: And the whole "But we pay $_____ billion in cigarette taxes is dumb.
Ever think that it would be better to use the extra money on something useful rather than having to treat fucking addicts to an extended hospital stay?

1JadedJen

Send Lawyers, Guns and Money
Reaction score
Ok rising health care costs...yes
Giving up smoking for 4 weeks before surgery to lower some serious risks is good. Not only good for the patient's health, but yes good for the bottom line.
We also live in a world where everyone wants to sue the health care industry. Said smoker could refuse to give up smoking, have major complications post surgery, and then file suit against the hospital for said complications.

There might not be a smoking clause in your insurance contract, but there is a patient responsibilty page in that contract, and you sure do sign a pateint responsibilty form before every procedure stating that you will follow the standards for your treatment set by your MD. And if you refuse to follow the quit smoking thing, they can refuse you the surgery. Doctors here can refuse to do surgery for whatever reason, and you are more than welcome to go find another doctor who is willing to do it. After all, if you die, it's the doctor's license on the line right? I think what they are trying to do in the UK is make this a standard across the board.

Alcoholics don't get liver transplants because they are bad candidates, people who don't follow their diet plan and lose X amount of pounds before their gastric bypass don't get the bypass because they are bad candidates, and maybe people who don't listen to their doctors and take unnecessary risks by not quitting smoking for 4 measly weeks are bad candidates.

w/e

Boaroceraptorasaurus-Rex
Reaction score
Of course smoking is a personal choice, but why do taxpayers have to suffer. Not to mention secondhand smokers.

Originally Posted by emjlr3

Agreed.

Akatsuki

Reaction score
One thing I hate is when there is an event after school and when it's done I see and smell someone smoking. For crying out loud it's a school. And I'm sure that where I live there are laws against smoking on school property.

Also I agree with what 1Jadedjen is saying. I'm very sure that this isn't to make people stop smoking but to prevent complications during the surgery. I heard a lot of stories from people from the 60's. They say that everyone was smoking but at the same time they didn't know what it really did to them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.