Using a model as a loading screen

Handless

Reaction score
Hey,

I just found a small, perverted map that was using a nice model i desperately needed. The map wasnt that great, i think it was mainly some inside joke and made in a hour or so, and it was made with some language that my editor or warcraft couldnt understand, so i thought that nobody is going to miss it.

Anyway, when i opened that map and looked it a little closer, i realized that this map wasnt some normal, small crappy epicwar map; It was full of such a things i had never seen in any guide or anyone to discuss about it. It was a every mapmaker's dream, full of amazing shortcuts and things that i never thought that could be possible.

One of them was the thing it was using as a loading screen; It looked nice, it was a full sized loading screen with decent quality, but was in .mdx format and took only 3kb.

So my question is; Does anyone know how in the heck that is done?

Attachments

• LoadingScreenCript.mdx
    3 KB · Views: 177

Handless

Reaction score
CIA? Too small group to be behind this.

I cannot upload it, since it contains adult material, but i can upload the model..

Edit: Uploaded.

Another edit: Map's name is 18XXX and author is VeloceRAPTOR, if you wanna google it.. I tried searching epicwar for this, but no results. I got that map from my friend who wanted to show the sickness of humankind to me, but i have no idea where did he get it from in the first place..

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
Loading screen models are usually in the tiny range. Most of what they do is serve as a block to tack a texture onto.

I'm assuming this loading screen also had an image file to wrap onto it, which was likely much larger than 3kb.

The only loading screen models that I would assume to be larger are the special animated ones, like what TcX uses, which are few and far between.

Handless

Reaction score
Ah okay... There was only one image/texture at imported section and it was only 26kb and part of the model i wanted. The loading screen was actually a picture of a crypt lord, so i guess it can be found somewhere in the war3.mpq or war3x.mpq ?

How can i wrap images to model like that?

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
This model uses in-game textures -- that is why it takes less memory. I converted *.mdx to *.mdl format, texture paths are:
Code:
UI\Glues\ScoreScreen\ScoreScreen-UndeadVictoryExpansion\scorescreen-undeadvictoryexpansion.blp
UI\Glues\ScoreScreen\ScoreScreen-UndeadVictoryExpansion\scorescreen-undeadvictoryexpansion.blp
These Textures are in Warcraft the Frozen Throne *.mpq file. Use Warcraft Image Viewer/ *.mpq extractor to find these images.

> How can i wrap images to model like that?

Easiest way is to create 4 new images with exactly same width and height. Then import your made images to map, copy each file path (wc3imported.../imageName.blp) and overwrite corresponding image paths in *.mdl file. When done overwriting old image paths with your newly made image paths convert *.mdl back to *.mdx format. Add *.mdx model to map. It should work now.

Hard way is to edit model in modeling program (Gmax, free of charge, 3DMax 5 or later, costs).

You can convert *.mdl to *.mdx and back with MdlxConverter (found from wc3c.net tools section).

Search our forum for custom loading screen (custom model loading screen/ animated loading screen/ mdx loading screen).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • WildTurkey WildTurkey:
    is there a stephen green in the house?
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up WildTurkey?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Looks like Google fixed whatever mistake that made the recipes on the site go crazy and we are no longer trending towards a recipe site lol - I don't care though because it motivated me to spend alot of time on the site improving it and at least now the content people are looking at is not stupid and embarrassing like it was when I first got back into this like 5 years ago.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Plus - I have a pretty bad ass recipe collection now! That section of the site is 10 thousand times better than it was before
  • The Helper The Helper:
    We now have a web designer at my job. A legit talented professional! I am going to get him to redesign the site theme. It is time.
  • Varine Varine:
    I got one more day of community service and then I'm free from this nonsense! I polished a cop car today for a funeral or something I guess
  • Varine Varine:
    They also were digging threw old shit at the sheriff's office and I tried to get them to give me the old electronic stuff, but they said no. They can't give it to people because they might use it to impersonate a cop or break into their network or some shit? idk but it was a shame to see them take a whole bunch of radios and shit to get shredded and landfilled
  • The Helper The Helper:
    whatever at least you are free
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.