Using a model as a loading screen

Handless

Reaction score
Hey,

I just found a small, perverted map that was using a nice model i desperately needed. The map wasnt that great, i think it was mainly some inside joke and made in a hour or so, and it was made with some language that my editor or warcraft couldnt understand, so i thought that nobody is going to miss it.

Anyway, when i opened that map and looked it a little closer, i realized that this map wasnt some normal, small crappy epicwar map; It was full of such a things i had never seen in any guide or anyone to discuss about it. It was a every mapmaker's dream, full of amazing shortcuts and things that i never thought that could be possible.

One of them was the thing it was using as a loading screen; It looked nice, it was a full sized loading screen with decent quality, but was in .mdx format and took only 3kb.

So my question is; Does anyone know how in the heck that is done?

Attachments

• LoadingScreenCript.mdx
    3 KB · Views: 176

Handless

Reaction score
CIA? Too small group to be behind this.

I cannot upload it, since it contains adult material, but i can upload the model..

Edit: Uploaded.

Another edit: Map's name is 18XXX and author is VeloceRAPTOR, if you wanna google it.. I tried searching epicwar for this, but no results. I got that map from my friend who wanted to show the sickness of humankind to me, but i have no idea where did he get it from in the first place..

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
Loading screen models are usually in the tiny range. Most of what they do is serve as a block to tack a texture onto.

I'm assuming this loading screen also had an image file to wrap onto it, which was likely much larger than 3kb.

The only loading screen models that I would assume to be larger are the special animated ones, like what TcX uses, which are few and far between.

Handless

Reaction score
Ah okay... There was only one image/texture at imported section and it was only 26kb and part of the model i wanted. The loading screen was actually a picture of a crypt lord, so i guess it can be found somewhere in the war3.mpq or war3x.mpq ?

How can i wrap images to model like that?

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
This model uses in-game textures -- that is why it takes less memory. I converted *.mdx to *.mdl format, texture paths are:
Code:
UI\Glues\ScoreScreen\ScoreScreen-UndeadVictoryExpansion\scorescreen-undeadvictoryexpansion.blp
UI\Glues\ScoreScreen\ScoreScreen-UndeadVictoryExpansion\scorescreen-undeadvictoryexpansion.blp
These Textures are in Warcraft the Frozen Throne *.mpq file. Use Warcraft Image Viewer/ *.mpq extractor to find these images.

> How can i wrap images to model like that?

Easiest way is to create 4 new images with exactly same width and height. Then import your made images to map, copy each file path (wc3imported.../imageName.blp) and overwrite corresponding image paths in *.mdl file. When done overwriting old image paths with your newly made image paths convert *.mdl back to *.mdx format. Add *.mdx model to map. It should work now.

Hard way is to edit model in modeling program (Gmax, free of charge, 3DMax 5 or later, costs).

You can convert *.mdl to *.mdx and back with MdlxConverter (found from wc3c.net tools section).

Search our forum for custom loading screen (custom model loading screen/ animated loading screen/ mdx loading screen).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.